A Seditious Affair: A Society of Gentlemen…

by K. J. Charles (Author)

Member:RobynBachar
Title:A Seditious Affair: A Society of Gentlemen Novel (Society of Gentlemen Series Book 2)
Authors:K. J. Charles (Author)
Info:Loveswept (2015), 253 pages
Collections:Your library, Currently reading

A Seditious Affair: A Society of Gentlemen Novel (Society of Gentlemen Series Book 2) by KJ Charles

I know the reason I couldn't wait reading this. As soon as I read Silas in the summary, I was sold. He made quite an impression in A Fashionable Indulgence! Here, he broke my heart and put it back again more than once. The kind of man he is, the friend and lover too, is wonderful. Silas is a type of man people want to be thought of as, but few are. I can't think of a more decent human being than Silas Mason. Flaws, insecurities and all.

I loved this story, the characters and above all, its multiple conflicts (the book grabs you from the first moment and it doesn't let go until the very end!).
Silas Mason and Dominic Frey couldn't be any more different even if they tried. But they are perfect for each other. Their incompatible politics and principles strangely make an unbreakable foundation for a love deeper than either of them expect. God, even if this book didn't have any sexual scenes, what they are to each other would still be extraordinary.

I loved the characters too. Most of the characters from the prequel and the first book make an appearance or few and not just to be present. Since Silas is Harry's friend, of course Julius is going to play a role in the story.
But most of the book is Silas and Dominic's alone. And I loved every single moment of it.

The resolution is perfect under the circumstances. Perfect and believable. Too often you read a historical where a resolution is completely unbelievable. Not the case here.

This is definitely not only a historical romance. Yes, it has a couple and their relationship in the centre, but it doesn't overwhelm the rest of the story, the political reform movements of the 1800s. It would be impossible to write a story about Silas and not include his beliefs. The same goes for Frey. Simply put, it is a well researched book.

Still not a fan of Richard Vane. I know his story is next. I hope being in his head would make a difference. ( )
  Aneris | Apr 22, 2017 |
This second book in the series overlaps at the beginning with the events of the last, offering a different perspective on events. Here we understand more about the complicated relationship between Silas Mason - radical, seditious publisher, agitator - and Dominic Frey - Home Office employee, charged with stamping out just the kind of treason that Silas himself produces. It's something of a leap of faith to believe that these two men should have come to the arrangement that they have, without even knowing one another's names at first, but if one accepts that, then the rest of the story flows well. As I said in my review on the last book, I am not an habitual reader of romance and so, although Charles's sex scenes are undoubtedly well-written and memorable, I was most impressed by the way that she weaves the politics of the day into the story and makes that just as important as her characters' relationship. This, after all, is the time of the Peterloo Massacre, the Cato Street Conspiracy and the visionary publications of William Blake, and Charles shows how these events forced the educated classes to take an ideological stand, one way or the other, on Reform. For now, Dominic and Silas have managed to find an uneasy truce from their positions at opposite ends of the ideological scale, but how long can this last? For Silas's past continues to dog his steps, and Dominic will soon find himself having to face a terrible choice between his duty and his heart. ( )
  TheIdleWoman | Jan 22, 2017 |
Historical isn't always a win for me, but this series is wonderful in my opinion. This entire book was interesting to me, and the sex was smoking hot. The plot between this book and the last is connected. It's about politics of the time. The main characters in this story are on different sides of everything, but perfect matches in the bedroom. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,904,336 books! | Top bar: Always visible