Longitude: The True Story of a Lone Genius…

Longitude: The True Story of a Lone Genius Who Solved the Greatest… (1995)

by Dava Sobel

The Age of Wonder: How the Romantic Generation Discovered the Beauty and Terror of Science by Richard Holmes (Laura400)
    The Frozen Water Trade: A True Story by Gavin Weightman (harmen)
    The Island of the Day Before by Umberto Eco (polutropon)
    polutropon: Eco's book is a magical realist novel set in the Age of Exploration, in which the quest to reliably determine longitude at sea plays a pivotal role.
    A Short Bright Flash: Augustin Fresnel and the Birth of the Modern Lighthouse by Theresa Levitt (ALinNY458)
    ALinNY458: A Short Brief Flash is a high readable book that I thought had some parallels to the story told in Dava Sobel's fine book.
    Greenwich by Charles Jennings (John_Vaughan)
    John_Vaughan: An account of the invention of true chronometer and definition of Longitude.
    Parallax: The Race to Measure the Cosmos by Alan W. Hirshfeld (LouRead)
    LouRead: Another dramatic story of the discovery of a scientific truth, told with flair. You won't want to put it down...
    Genesis to Jupiter by Peter Mason (KayCliff)
    Map of a Nation: A Biography of the Ordnance Survey by Rachel Hewitt (John_Vaughan)

English (114)  Spanish (3)  German (2)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (121)
Sobel has told a complex story very clearly, staying with the toplc closely and without straying into related events and issues - although she does include many fascinating snippets from history. It is focused on the central character of John Harrison and his achievement of inventing a chronometer that would determine longitude. Her admiration is clear. I pitied Harrison, who spent his life on the job yet parliamentarians were reluctant to award the £20,000 Longitude prize. Thanks to Sobel's writing ability, this short book is a wonderful story, skillfully told. ( )
1 vote VivienneR | Jul 2, 2016 |
I found the story boring and tedious. The book is about the history of the development of methods for measuring longitude. The author did not provide sufficient information on the way in which the timepieces were to be used to measure longitudes. The book was heavy on history and weak on science. I would have been more interested in the details of how the clock mechanisms functioned and less on the rivalries of the inventors. There was some information provided that was interesting but it was bogged down by trivial facts. I recommend the book to an insomniac. ( )
  GlennBell | Jun 22, 2016 |
I dunno. I feel like I was missing something. It felt geeky, but it didn't help me feel like I really learned anything. It's short, but it took me a long time to read. Maybe better editing would have helped Sobol focus on what to explain more carefully, and what to discuss concisely.

I did like this quote: Timepieces don't really keep time. They just keep up with it, if they're able."

And I did like the point about the moon's movement. The thing is, I've been feeling a sense of unease that I have no idea where in the sky the moon is going to be any random night, or which way the horns of crescent point, etc. The phases are regular, and of course the sun is regular, but "The moon's orbital motion varies cyclically, over an eighteen-year period, [so] eighteen years' worth of data constitute the bare minimum groundwork for any meaningful predictions of the moon's position." Ok, now I don't feel so ignorant.

Still, I can't recommend the book. This review, http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/42046691, says it best, imo.

ETA - I just found the illustrated edition at my library. I wish I'd chosen that instead, and I suspect it's worth at least one more star. Review to come on: [b:The Illustrated Longitude: The True Story of a Lone Genius Who Solved the Greatest Scientific Problem of His Time|4805|The Illustrated Longitude The True Story of a Lone Genius Who Solved the Greatest Scientific Problem of His Time|Dava Sobel|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1312053891s/4805.jpg|1755348]" ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
I wish I'd read this instead of the little book that was almost entirely text. The story, and the science, and the engineering, all make more sense now that I've paged through this one. I still can't recommend it though unless you're already geeky about historical navigation and clockmaking, though. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
The author tells about the search for a method to determine longitude, badly needed to safely navigate oceans. It aptly explains the two methods (by celestial bodies or by a ship-borne clock) that were developed, their advantages and disadvantages, and the inventions necessitated by each.

The author mentions in their Acknowledgments that this book was expanded from a magazine article. Unfortunately, the book seemed overly long, and perhaps should have remained as a magazine article. ( )
  NLytle | May 10, 2016 |
Ms. Sobel, a former science reporter for The New York Times, confesses in her source notes that ''for a few months at the outset, I maintained the insane idea that I could write this book without traveling to England and seeing the timekeepers firsthand.'' Eventually she did visit the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich, where the four clocks that James Harrison constructed are exhibited.
She writes, ''Coming face with these machines at last -- after having read countless accounts of their construction and trial, after having seen every detail of their insides and outsides in still and moving pictures -- reduced me to tears.''
Such is the eloquence of this gem of a book that it makes you understand exactly how she felt.

Here's a swell little book that tells an amazing story that is largely forgotten today but that deserves to be remembered.

It is the story of the problem of navigation at sea--which plagued ocean-going mariners for centuries--and how it was finally solved.

It is the story of how an unknown, uneducated and unheralded clockmaker solved the problem that had stumped some of the greatest scientific minds. And it is the story of how the Establishment of the 18th Century tried to block his solution.

The essential problem is this: In the middle of the ocean, how can you tell where you are? That is, how can you tell how far east or west of your starting point you have gone?

Sobel, Davaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Armstrong, NeilForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dilla Martínez, XavierTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When I'm playful I use the meridians of longitude and parallels of latitude for a seine, and drag the Atlantic Ocean for whales. --Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi
For my mother, Betty Gruber Sobel, a four-star navigator who can sail by the heavens but always drives by way of Canarsie.
Once on a Wednesday excursion when I was a little girl, my father bought me a beaded wire ball that I loved.
The history of portable time, or watch, and its important impact on navigating waters. John Harrison’s inventions of timepieces (H-1, H-2, H-3) leading up to the chronometer (H-4) in 1760 and its ability to chart longitude. John Harrison’s difficulties with the Board of Longitude in acknowledging his masterpiece.
GRÁÐUR lengdar er eftir Johan Harrison "sem varði fjörutíu árum í að smíða fullkominn tímamæli (sjóúr) og leysti eitt erfiðasta vandamál siglingafræðinnar á fyrri öldum," segir í kynningu. Sagt er frá hetjudáðum og klækjum, snilld og fáránleika, og mikilvægum þáttum í sögu stjörnufræði, siglingafræði og úrsmíða.
Bókafélagið Ölduslóð gefur bókina út. Elín Guðmundsdóttir íslenskaði. Bókin er 143 bls. Grafík prentaði. Leiðbeinandi verð: 3.280 kr.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140258795, Paperback)

The thorniest scientific problem of the eighteenth century was how to determine longitude. Many thousands of lives had been lost at sea over the centuries due to the inability to determine an east-west position. This is the engrossing story of the clockmaker, John "Longitude" Harrison, who solved the problem that Newton and Galileo had failed to conquer, yet claimed only half the promised rich reward.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:49 -0400)

During the great age of exploration, the "longitude problem" was the gravest of scientific challenges. Without the ability to determine longitude, sailors and their ships were lost at sea as soon as they lost sight of land. In 1714, desperate for a solution, England's Parliament offered 20,000 pounds (the equivalent of millions of dollars today) to anyone who could solve the problem. With all the skill and storytelling ability of a great novelist, Dava Sobel captures the dramatic story at the heart of this epic scientific quest.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,474,325 books! | Top bar: Always visible