Miracles and Conundrums of the Secondary…

Miracles and Conundrums of the Secondary Planets

by Jacob M. Appel

A good collection of short stories. I enjoyed a few of the stories more than others but they were all pretty good. I like the vast array of characters and the main point of each as well. ( )
  tellen81 | Feb 11, 2019 |
came in today and was good and was a quick read ( )
  KimSalyers | Jan 30, 2019 |
I've never been a big short story reader - I feel like it's never enough time to tell a story or connect with a character, let alone learn about their story, their history, and understand them. But these stories, although short - really resonated with me. I liked just about every single one!

Some of the heavy topics told in these stories range from abortion, to death, the afterlife and resurrection, organ transplants, climate change, mental illness... but they are told in a "not heavy" way... does that make sense? I loved the characters, especially a little girl named Celeste who is dying and "practicing" for the inevitable event as well as Red Ziggy... a visitor from another plant who runs a Latvian restaurant opposite an abortion clinic trying to learn about our planet.

The stories are fun and quirky, and a fast read that will leave you satisfied with their short length, but also wishing there was more. ( )
  Bookapotamus | Jan 28, 2019 |
This book was part of a series of giveaways. This is an honest review.

I really enjoyed reading this book. It contains a series of short stories about characters with relatable and extreme situations. I like how the essence of each character is captured within relatively few pages. A few of the stories seemed incomplete, leaving the reader to imagine the conclusion. I would recommend this book. ( )
  cryczak232 | Jan 15, 2019 |
As usual, I enjoyed the different types of stories Mr. Appel creates. While this was not one of my favorite books of his, the ones that did shine did so brightly then the others that were so-so.

Here are my thoughts on each of the stories:

Miracles and Conundrums of the Secondary Planets - Cute story about an alien who falls in love with a anti-abortionist woman. Good ending.

Phoebe with Impending Frost - Kind of a strange story where a guy is obsessed with a old high school friend. It was okay.

Invasive Species - Sad story about a mother who is trying to figure out what to do with her dying daughter. A neighbor starts being nice and hiting on her. Very sad ending and really good story.

The Resurrection Bakeoff - At first the premise sounded interesting... dead people coming back to life and I kept reading it wanting to know about his father in law, mistress and cancer stricken wife. However, the end left me disappointed and didn't answer any of my questions. Boo.

The Orchard - An okay story about a mother and son moving to CT away from their ailing father to be a caretaker for an older man. The mother gets involve with the man who is hiding the fact that he has throat cancer. Meh. It was alright. Ending was left wide open.

The Grand Concourse - Okay story about a woman taking her daughter to see where her parents died. I wasn't too fond of the story and didn't like the ending.

Measures of Sorrow - My favorite in the book. Story about a student teaching a cab driver about book and life studies. Wonderful ending.

Shell Game with Organs - Interesting story about a magician who's girlfriend wants him to donate a kidney to her and has a mother who had a stroke and wants him to kill her. All these thoughts are running through his head until finally everything comes clear when his parrot dies. Great ending. ( )
  booklover3258 | Jan 12, 2019 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Jacob M. Appel's book Miracles and Conundrums of the Secondary Planets is currently available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Jacob M. Appel is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,201,529 books! | Top bar: Always visible