The Unexpected Inheritance of Inspector…

The Unexpected Inheritance of Inspector Chopra (A Baby Ganesh Agency… (edition 2015)

by Vaseem Khan (Author)

1982259,376 (3.74)19
Member:majkia
Title:The Unexpected Inheritance of Inspector Chopra (A Baby Ganesh Agency Investigation)
Authors:Vaseem Khan (Author)
Info:Redhook (2015), Edition: First Paperback Edition, 320 pages
Collections:Most Wanted, Wishlist

The Unexpected Inheritance of Inspector Chopra by Vaseem Khan

Cute, nice try, OK read. ( )
  kerns222 | May 25, 2018 |
A fun, well-written mystery! I look forward to reading the next in the series. ( )
  hopeevey | May 20, 2018 |
I’ve been doing a lot of heavy reading (and thinking) lately, so this was a much-deserved treat. I was having trouble understanding the audiobook at first . . . until I realized that I had the playback speed set at 1.5 from my previous book. Oops! 1.25 was fine. Anyway, straight-as-an-arrow retired policeman Chopra spectacularly fails at retirement, aided by baby elephant Ganesh. What’s not to like?! ( )
  djbrauer | Feb 13, 2018 |
This is a fun mystery set in an interesting place. Inspector Chopra is a great character, and the setting of this book is well done. It is not a perfect book - the mystery while competently written, took a weird turn. At times, the grittiness of the book didn't match the nicer tone of the place. The side plot of Poppy was overdone, and didn't add too much to the story. Overall, a fun read but not great. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Dec 26, 2017 |
Inspector Chopra is forced to take early retirement as a result of a heart attack. But he is not yet ready to take things easy, put up his feet and just watch cricket. On the very day of his retirement he learns of the death of a young man, supposedly from drowning, and he knows there will be no investigation, if he doesn't follow it through himself.

And then he learns that his uncle has sent him a baby elephant. Where do you keep an elephant in a high rise apartment? And what do you do when it won't eat?

A light humour lies behind every word in this novel, even when the investigation which Chopra takes on without official sanction leads him into Mumbai's steamy underworld and he sights a man who is supposed to be dead.

On the cozy side of crime fiction, this makes good reading. ( )
  smik | Sep 23, 2017 |

Vaseem Khanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Burlinson, AmberCopy editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Carroll, ZoëProofreadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodbine, AnnaCover artist & designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my family. To my late mother, whose words inspire me still. To my father Mohammed. To my sisters and brother, Shabana, Rihana, Irram and Addeel. And to Nirupama Khan who first showed me her Mumbai.

On the day he retires, Inspector Ashwin Chopra inherits two unexpected mysteries.

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 16 Aug 2015 10:16:00 -0400)

"The first is the case of a drowned boy, whose suspicious death no one seems to want solved. And the second is a baby elephant. As his search for clues takes him across the teeming city of Mumbai, from its grand high rises to its sprawling slums and deep into its murky underworld, Chopra begins to suspect that there may be a great deal more to both his last case and his new ward than he thought. And he soon learns that when the going gets tough, a determined elephant may be exactly what an honest man needs..."--Provided by publisher.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,538,805 books! | Top bar: Always visible