Day Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko

Day Watch (original 2000; edition 2007)

by Sergei Lukyanenko

Member:drneutron
Title:Day Watch
Authors:Sergei Lukyanenko
Info:Miramax (2007), Paperback, 464 pages
Collections:Your library, 2010 Challenge, 2008 Challenge
Tags:fiction, fantasy, paranormal, spy, action, thriller, occult

Day Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko (2000)

Recently added byvaknathi, mnolte, private library, grapeapril75, PaulJPOBrien, wolfsbruder, ScoLgo, zephyrsky, lushrain

English (32)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (36)
This book was not anywhere near the same level as Night Watch. The same characters were present and I definitely enjoyed Lukyanenko's ability to switch to the "other" side. It felt like the Day Watch other's should have been presented as considerably darker. Other than that mild criticism Lukyanenko keeps up a high level of writing and I overall enjoyed the book. ( )
  fickledragon | May 24, 2014 |
Weer drie mooie verhalen over de Wachten van Moskou. Het boek doet een goede poging om de strijd tussen de Lichte en de Duistere wachten te beschrijven.

Zeer goed geschreven. Kan niet wachten op de volgende delen. ( )
  EdwinK | Dec 6, 2013 |
Halloween 2013#6

Night Watch series figures among the best (Urban) fantasy series I have read. I have been reading, savouring, the Night Watch series one book a year, every Halloween. The fulfilling feeling one gets from a book so well conceptualised and written can only be matched by the wait and the expectations built up over a year.

There is the supernatural, then the philosophising about good and evil, and finally some serious action and mind games to top it off. This has been a regular feature with both the books. The world is quite simple and easy to understand, a lesson there for young writers like Samantha Shannon. There are the usual vampires and werewolves, shape-shifters, doing totally unusual things and some very unlikely witches and magicians as well - all categorised under "Others". There is no triumph of good over evil, the entire series is based over the concept of balance of light and dark; note the choice of words "light and dark" in place of "good and evil", a point of differentiation which will become much clearer once one reads the book.

Having read the masters like Tolstoy, Dostoevsky and Gogol, I was always aware of the depth of concepts in Russian literature. This remains, however, my only modern read from a Russian author and I wasn't disappointed in the least. Everything was well thought, even the choice of Russian songs quoted in the book, at various places, under various settings.

A book out of the mould; a book to read in leisure; a book to remember. ( )
  PiyushC | Nov 26, 2013 |
The sequel to Night Watch (which I quite enjoyed) continues to explore the world of the Others, which is split into "Dark" and "Light", two factions that have been at unstable peace for centuries with each other for centuries. The Day Watch (operated by the Dark) watches over the day and polices the forces of Light, making sure they follow the laws of the treaty. Like the first book, Day Watch is split into three novellas, each interconnected so that they form a complete overarching story.

I didn't like Day Watch as much as I liked the first book, and this was probably because I didn't connect with the characters as much. The first story in the book follows a young Dark witch, who loses her powers and is sent to a children's camp to recuperate. There she unknowingly falls in love with a young man who turns out to be a Light Other with tragic consequences. I thought this story was fine, though the witch didn't seem entirely a complete character. Her attraction to this young man was awkward, suddenly making her a giggling girl instead of the powerful cynical witch she was. The sex scene was equally awkward.

The second story beings with a man who has forgotten his identity. He discovers he has powers and begins to follow a plan he doesn't fully understand. Again, I couldn't quite connect with this character and his constant referencing all he doesn't know, but I guess I'll follow my inner instincts got to be very tedious. If Anton (the main character from Night Watch) hadn't shown up halfway through the story, I might not have wanted to keep going with it.

The third and final story features Anton, who along with a Dark Other, is sent to follow a group of men who are to be tried for their actions in the second story. Because Anton is one of the main characters in this story, I was able to follow it eagerly and keep entertained.

It was clear with this second book that the author wanted to explore the POV of the Dark Others, but didn't quite connect with them, which made it hard for the readers to connect with them. This probably explains why he returned to Anton's POV halfway through the book, which immediately made it more interesting. The book concluded well, and ultimately I enjoyed it. Since Anton is the main character of the next two books in the series, I'm interested to keep reading. ( )
  andreablythe | Oct 22, 2013 |
A wonderful continuation on from The Night Watch. Once again it was a joy to reacquaint myself with Anton and co.

It was just a pleasure to read something that wasn't all about vampires, it takes it to a whole new level. ( )
  whimsicalwattle | Sep 27, 2013 |
Andrew Bromfield's translation of... Day Watch... showcases Lukyanenko's sardonic sense of humor.

Sergei Lukyanenkoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bromfield, AndrewTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Васильев, Владимир Николаевичsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The entrance did not inspire respect.

Walking the streets of Moscow, indistinguishable from the rest of its population, are The Others. Possessors of supernatural powers and capable of entering the Twilight, a shadowy world that exists in parallel to our own, each owes allegiance either to The Dark or The Light. In "The Day Watch", second book of the "Night Watch" trilogy, Alice, a young but powerful Dark Other, attends a planning meeting with her comrades in the Day Watch. The team is on a mission to apprehend an uninitiated Other, a practicing Dark witch who has so far eluded the bureaux responsible for finding and initiating unlicensed practitioners of magic. It seems a routine operation. But when they arrive, the Night Watch team has already made the arrest. A fierce battle ensues, during which Alice almost dies. Drained of her powers, she is sent to recuperate at a youth camp near the Black Sea. There she meets Igor; the chemistry between them is instant and irresistible. But then comes a shattering realisation: Igor is a Light Mage. Suddenly, Alice remembers him as one of those involved in the battle that left her crippled. Now that they know, there is no alternative to a magical duel, a battle that neither of them wants to win...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:13 -0400)

In the sequel to Night Watch, the uneasy balance between the forces of Light and Dark is threatened when a priceless and powerful artifact is stolen from the Others and when one of the Dark Ones, a young witch who enhances her evil powers by absorbing the fear from children's nightmares, falls in love with a handsome young Light One.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,333,901 books! | Top bar: Always visible