At the Mountains of Madness by H. P.…

At the Mountains of Madness (1936)

by H. P. Lovecraft

Vaults of Yoh Vombis (The Unexpurgated Clark Ashton Smith Ser.) by Clark A. Smith (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: Smith's tale seems to have been at least partly inspired by his friend Lovecraft's novel, which he read in manuscript before it was published.
    Best Ghost Stories of Algernon Blackwood by Algernon Blackwood (ocgreg34)
    The People of the Pit {story} by A. Merritt (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: An important (albeit somewhat lightweight) precursor to the classic Lovecraft tale.
    The Terror by Dan Simmons (MarcusH)
    MarcusH: H.P. Lovecraft's novella calls about the desolation of the Antarctic to create a sense of terror in the reader. Simmons' novel also calls upon the desolation of the Arctic to create a similar sense of suspense. Simmons' novel is much lengthier and does not rely on fantasy as Lovecraft does. The Terror is more horror, but it still shares the great tradition of suspense with Lovecraft's writing.… (more)

English (17)  German (4)  Spanish (2)  French (2)  All languages (25)
Elder Things, Shoggoths, and Tekeli-li, Oh My!

Felt more drawn out and repetitious in its audiobook format (which I picked up as an Audible Daily Deal) than I remember it in print, which I had read several times previously. Perhaps the shock factor has worn off.

The professorial tone by narrator Edward Herrmann (in the Blackstone Audio 2013 edition) suited the material (which is an explorer warning a future expedition not to go to Antarctica due to the horrors that they will find there) but it reduced the level of excitement and fear.

This edition contained only the novella of about 50,000 words/5 hours narration. Some editions contain other Cthulhu Mythos stories and/or bonus introductory material. I thought the Modern Library print edition of "At the Mountains of Madness" edited by S.T. Joshi with an introduction by China Miéville was excellent. ( )
  alanteder | Nov 9, 2017 |
This is my third audiobook of Lovecraft’s classic sci-fi story of Antarctic explorers who discover an abandoned alien city whose murals tell the true history of the earth. The narrator of the story is a New England college professor unnerved by having his beliefs about the past demolished. I heard Wayne June read the man as a sober middle class man of action and Edward Herrmann read him as an upper-class WASP scholar. Another reviewer took the words out of my mouth by noting that William Roberts told the tale in the air of a 1940s newscaster, say, Lowell Thomas. He meant that as a criticism but I think Robert’s tone fits the story well. He gives a very emotive reading, sounding like an old man who has lost his certainties at the end of his life. ( )
  Coach_of_Alva | Dec 14, 2016 |
A scientific team from Miskatonic University goes to Antarctic to search for fossils with a new drilling apparatus and unwittingly reawakens a slumbering horror from millions of years ago. Lovecraft was the master of sustained suspense in the rush of emotions leading up to the discovery of the Old One, creatures out of time and space. Unfortunately, Lovecraft has not aged well with jaded readers who need more thrill than Lovecraft is able to provide, but should still be on The List for his contributions to the horror genre. ( )
  ShelleyAlberta | Jun 4, 2016 |
Confesso que estava à espera de mais vindo do mestre Lovecraft. O descritivo é um pouco extenso por vezes mas o conceito dum povo descoberto no gelo com formas grotescas (que ocuparam a terra muito antes do Homem) e os seus escravos que se revoltaram (compostos duma massa gelatinosa e viscosa). Interessante é a ligação feita com o Necronomicon feita pelo autor ao longo de todo o livro. Espero encontrar um Lovecraft mais aterrador noutros livros ( )
  bruc79 | Jul 31, 2015 |
An expedition to the Antarctic uncovers an ancient race of beings and their civilization. Also, giant, sightless penguins.

What can I say? I was curious about this author, having heard of Cthulhu references from my friends who are scifi fans, so I thought I should try him. Now that I have, I am perfectly willing to leave him alone. The writing is pedantic. I was listening to the audio version and found myself tuning out to large swaths of descriptions and not missing a thing. The author tries to give the impression of imminent danger and oppressive evil, but I couldn't take him seriously because everything he described as "blasphemous" and "diabolic" and "sinister" seemed like very interesting stuff to me. How could serious scientists see all that evidence for another civilization and only feel oppressed by evil? Where is the open mind? Where the scientific distance?

Well, perhaps we are to think that they were upset by the bunches of dogs and men which were killed in the camp, but they don't seem so. They just poke around and get on with business, taking a flight to explore the next day. About that exploration? They deduce a lifetime worth of knowledge in one afternoon of looking at cartouches and statues about this civilization. Nope. I don't buy it. Also, the creature which drives them mad? Really? Scared, OK, but mad? Nah.

And all of this was supposedly written to keep other explorers from going to the area. Are you kidding me? Any scientist worth their salt would be off there in a hot flash after reading this because far from proving there were "unnameable horrors" lurking there, they describe a fascinating culture with great possibilities. For all the foreboding (and there was a LOT of it) in this story, the climax of horror is a real letdown.

The audio narrator, Edward Herrmann, was a pleasure to listen to, which is probably the only reason I listened to the end. ( )
  MrsLee | May 15, 2014 |

Has the adaptation

Was inspired by

Inspired

Has as a study

I am forced into speech because men of science have refused to follow my advice without knowing why.
This work represents the novella, which has been separately published as a standalone work. It may be contained in other works, but should not be combined with omnibus editions/collections, e.g., At the Mountains of Madness and Other Novels, At the Mountains of Madness and Other Macabre Tales, At the Mountains of Madness and Other Tales of Terror, etc.

Lovecraft helped shape a popular subgenre of science fiction, the "weird tale," which blended science with horror to create moody tales of monsters from beyond the stars. This novella, written in 1931, introduces us to some of Lovecraft's most terrifying alien creatures, discovered by a team of scientists exploring Antarctica.

Contains the following novellas/short stories:

At the Mountains of Madness
The Shunned House
The Dreams in the Witch-House
The Statement of Randolph Carter

The finest works of H P Lovecraft, renowned as one of the great horror writers of all time. Now part of the Voyager Classics collection. A major figure in twentieth-century supernatural fiction, H P Lovecraft produced works of enduring power. He has influenced the whole spectrum of those working in the horror genre, from Stephen King to the creators of hit TV show Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Gathered together in this volume are seven of his greatest works, including the three short novels, The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, At the Mountains of Madness and The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath. Timeless in their appeal, these classics of the sinister and the macabre hold the power to truly terrify.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:22 -0400)

This work by H. P. Lovecraft was originally published in 1936.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,029,895 books! | Top bar: Always visible