At the Mountains of Madness by H. P.…

At the Mountains of Madness (1936)

by H. P. Lovecraft

Vaults of Yoh Vombis (The Unexpurgated Clark Ashton Smith Ser.) by Clark A. Smith (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: Smith's tale seems to have been at least partly inspired by his friend Lovecraft's novel, which he read in manuscript before it was published.
    Best Ghost Stories of Algernon Blackwood by Algernon Blackwood (ocgreg34)
    The People of the Pit {story} by A. Merritt (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: An important (albeit somewhat lightweight) precursor to the classic Lovecraft tale.
    The Terror by Dan Simmons (MarcusH)
    MarcusH: H.P. Lovecraft's novella calls about the desolation of the Antarctic to create a sense of terror in the reader. Simmons' novel also calls upon the desolation of the Arctic to create a similar sense of suspense. Simmons' novel is much lengthier and does not rely on fantasy as Lovecraft does. The Terror is more horror, but it still shares the great tradition of suspense with Lovecraft's writing.… (more)

English (19)  German (4)  French (3)  Spanish (2)  All languages (28)
At the Mountains of Madness starts out much like any other Lovecraft with too many protestations of truth-speaking and uttering the unutterable, but what sets it apart from other Lovecraft tales is its incredible scope. Millenia of history are decoded from stone walls and to an extent the reader is carried along on nothing more than those revelations. The actual horrors of monsters, of gruesome acts and what left the narrator's colleague gibbering are as a matter of course left unsaid.

For pure grit and world-building Lovecraft gets full marks. The turgid and monotonous drone of the narrator's prose, however, drags Mountains down. Balance, Mr. Lovecraft, balance. I've been making my way through Lovecraft's works for some months now. The ups and downs of even those curated selections is enough for me to never attempt anything comprehensive.

Whenever our author rose above the chattering and smoke screens of his verbose narrators Lovecraft was innovative. I was more than willing to suspend any and all disbelief the moment the recital of the 'Elder Things' history began. I love a chronicle. Antarctica was at the time, and still is, a fascinating place for research. Dreaming of what could be under that ice and going for an entire space-borne civilization whose mishandling of their own half-forgotten technology brought about their downfall? It took vision and guts to that instead of some raggedy sasquatch/laser cannon alien yarn which would have netted Lovecraft a lot more money and success.

I appreciate the effort. Lovecraft worked against the greatest inertia imaginable - the boorish expectations of the readership and the strict formulae of pulp editors. He wasn't well-rewarded during his lifetime but because of the promise of stories like this his growing reputation is justified. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
A fellow DEEP ONES reader suggested "At the Mountains of Madness" is the central Mythos tale, providing the most consistent and comprehensive alternative history of Earth as envisioned by HPL. After reading, I admit to a more favourable impression with the "deep time" history than with the tale itself, though I did enjoy acquainting myself with a classic of the genre. The expedition's visit to the austral plateau, not to mention the tomb-like ruined city, did have its share of memorable moments. The strongest impression was less of horror than of pathos from watching a fellow human driven insane.

A central point of tension operating in the story: Dyer must provide sufficient detail and force of argument to persuade other expeditions that further investigation is too dangerous. Yet the better he meets this objective, the more he contradicts his purpose in that the threat becomes that much more alluring a mystery! All of this telegraphs an insidious message to the reader: of course humanity won't be able to resist, of course we will unleash this horror upon all of us, we're all doomed. I think that's quite clever of HPL, actually, another layer of horror behind the "splashy" horror of direct description, and more effective.

I was unfamiliar with Nicholas Roerich, whose paintings HPL remarks several times in the story. They do have a suggestion of the sublime about them, conveyed even through online images. ( )
3 vote elenchus | Jan 11, 2019 |
Elder Things, Shoggoths, and Tekeli-li, Oh My!

Felt more drawn out and repetitious in its audiobook format (which I picked up as an Audible Daily Deal) than I remember it in print, which I had read several times previously. Perhaps the shock factor has worn off.

The professorial tone by narrator Edward Herrmann (in the Blackstone Audio 2013 edition) suited the material (which is an explorer warning a future expedition not to go to Antarctica due to the horrors that they will find there) but it reduced the level of excitement and fear.

This edition contained only the novella of about 50,000 words/5 hours narration. Some editions contain other Cthulhu Mythos stories and/or bonus introductory material. I thought the Modern Library print edition of "At the Mountains of Madness" edited by S.T. Joshi with an introduction by China Miéville was excellent. ( )
  alanteder | Nov 9, 2017 |
This is my third audiobook of Lovecraft’s classic sci-fi story of Antarctic explorers who discover an abandoned alien city whose murals tell the true history of the earth. The narrator of the story is a New England college professor unnerved by having his beliefs about the past demolished. I heard Wayne June read the man as a sober middle class man of action and Edward Herrmann read him as an upper-class WASP scholar. Another reviewer took the words out of my mouth by noting that William Roberts told the tale in the air of a 1940s newscaster, say, Lowell Thomas. He meant that as a criticism but I think Robert’s tone fits the story well. He gives a very emotive reading, sounding like an old man who has lost his certainties at the end of his life. ( )
  Coach_of_Alva | Dec 14, 2016 |
A scientific team from Miskatonic University goes to Antarctic to search for fossils with a new drilling apparatus and unwittingly reawakens a slumbering horror from millions of years ago. Lovecraft was the master of sustained suspense in the rush of emotions leading up to the discovery of the Old One, creatures out of time and space. Unfortunately, Lovecraft has not aged well with jaded readers who need more thrill than Lovecraft is able to provide, but should still be on The List for his contributions to the horror genre. ( )
  ShelleyAlberta | Jun 4, 2016 |

Joshi, S. T.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Turner, JamesIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wuerz. TimoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

The Dark Worlds of H. P. Lovecraft, Volume 6: At the Mountains of Madness by H. P. Lovecraft

At the Mountains of Madness and Other Novels by H. P. Lovecraft

Has the adaptation

Was inspired by

Inspired

Has as a study

I am forced into speech because men of science have refused to follow my advice without knowing why.
This work represents the novella, which has been separately published as a standalone work. It may be contained in other works, but should not be combined with omnibus editions/collections, e.g., At the Mountains of Madness and Other Novels, At the Mountains of Madness and Other Macabre Tales, At the Mountains of Madness and Other Tales of Terror, etc.

Lovecraft helped shape a popular subgenre of science fiction, the "weird tale," which blended science with horror to create moody tales of monsters from beyond the stars. This novella, written in 1931, introduces us to some of Lovecraft's most terrifying alien creatures, discovered by a team of scientists exploring Antarctica.

Contains the following novellas/short stories:

At the Mountains of Madness
The Shunned House
The Dreams in the Witch-House
The Statement of Randolph Carter

The finest works of H P Lovecraft, renowned as one of the great horror writers of all time. Now part of the Voyager Classics collection. A major figure in twentieth-century supernatural fiction, H P Lovecraft produced works of enduring power. He has influenced the whole spectrum of those working in the horror genre, from Stephen King to the creators of hit TV show Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Gathered together in this volume are seven of his greatest works, including the three short novels, The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, At the Mountains of Madness and The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath. Timeless in their appeal, these classics of the sinister and the macabre hold the power to truly terrify.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:22 -0400)

This work by H. P. Lovecraft was originally published in 1936.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,373,521 books! | Top bar: Always visible