The Dunwich Horror by H. P. Lovecraft

The Dunwich Horror (1929)

by H. P. Lovecraft

English (8)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (11)
This anthology of seven eerie, suspenseful tales by the legendary H.P. Lovecraft includes three that involve his famous mythology of the Ancient Ones—especially the monstrous entity, Yog-Sothoth—as well as the grimoire of black magic known as the Necronomicon.

“In the Vault” – After finding himself locked in a tomb, an unsavory and cantankerous undertaker successfully escapes by stacking six occupied coffins to create a platform, allowing him to reach a small opening above the door. However, just before crawling free, his leg punches through the lid of the top coffin, leaving him with wounds that were not merely inflicted by jagged wood…

“Pickman’s Model” – An artist of the macabre develops a new and startlingly realistic style when he begins painting demonic figures too grotesque to be displayed in public… but where did he find this latest inspiration?

“The Rats in the Walls” – After restoring the cursed, ruined estate of his ancestors, a young man begins hearing rats scurrying in the walls. An exploration of the cellar reveals an opening to a large chamber, the contents of which divulge the true and terrible history of the property.

“The Music of Erich Zann” – Each night, on the top floor of an apartment building, an elderly violinist plays a haunting, otherworldly melody… and receives a response from somewhere beyond our dimension.

“The Haunter of the Dark” – Robert Blake takes an unhealthy interest in the ruins of a long-abandoned Gothic church whose distant spires are visible from his apartment window. After venturing across town, Blake learns that local residents fear the church and do not speak of it. Undaunted, Blake presses on and finds a way inside. While exploring, he encounters an artifact that conjures frightening visions of the Ancient Ones—one of which is soon unleashed.

“The Dunwich Horror” – In the isolated, backwoods village of Dunwich, Massachusetts, the primitive Whateley family welcomes a grandson named Wilbur, born of Lavinia and an unnamed father who is believed to be the entity known as Yog-Sototh. Other villagers become fearful of Wilbur’s rapid physical development and inhuman countenance—not to mention the strange growling and rumbling from the surrounding hills that began after his birth. Following Lavinia's unexplained death, Wilbur and his grandfather begin boarding up the windows of their home as if to imprison something inside. After the deaths of Old Man Whateley, then of Wilbur, the invisible creature bursts from its confinement to wreak havoc on the village. Three professors from nearby Miskatonic University undertake a mission to destroy the creature using the Necronomicon, the grimoire of black magic that initially spawned the beast.

“The Thing on the Doorstep” – Edward Derby, an intelligent, but weak-willed young man with an interest in the macabre, marries a homely, eccentric woman named Asenath who is reputed to have a beguiling affect on others. It is claimed by some that once captured by her stare, they found themselves gazing upon their own bodies through Asenath’s eyes. It isn’t long before Derby undergoes a bizarre and dangerous change of demeanor… ( )
  pgiunta | Apr 28, 2018 |
There is no way to review Lovecraft's work with a straight face. Purple prose like the following samples obviate any sense of fear or horror that HP may be trying to create. My personal favorites include:

"...the mountainous blasphemy lumbered upon its eldritch course."
"...some imponderable menace..."
"...a bewilderment not quite crystallized into fresh terror."
"...their annals reek..." [He could not have written this without giggling a wee bit, right?] ( )
  librarianarpita | Oct 12, 2016 |
I don't like sequels or re-imaginings very much but Joe Lansdale does tell a good story and treats the material with the respect a fan would demand. Peter Bergting did what he could to illustrate a monster that Lovecraft meant to be indescribable. I grumbled at Menton3's turning the text into calligraphy but I came to appreciate it. His work did elevate this bloody pulp thriller into a fine piece of Gothic art. ( )
  Coach_of_Alva | Oct 12, 2014 |
I haven't read a lot of Lovecraft, but I've read some that was pretty good -- Rats in the Walls, Colour out of Space and some others -- so I was surpised to find that The Dunwich Horror, which is by repute one of his most canonical titles, is such a mess.

The exposition is diffuse and clumsy. Then the 'horror' part is glacially paced, with many incidents telegraphed; is simply SODDEN with bizarrely spelt New England hillbilly dialect; and although it has its moments (e.g. the description of Wilbur's corpse) it actually gets worse as it goes along so that as the end approaches it's painful to read. I hear he was paid by the word, so I guess he needed to pay the phone bill or something. ( )
1 vote Crypto-Willobie | Apr 8, 2013 |
This was a really enjoyable graphic novel to break up my work day with. A very fast read. This is actually two stories The Dunwich Horror and The Hound. The first story was the stronger of the two for me but only because the second story was practically impossible to read. The script font they selected was really small and the scratchy to imply a hand written account, which looked really cool but the reality was that I had to guess on a number of words since I couldn't truly read all of them. Overall though it is a nice addition to the lovecraftian collected works. ( )
  Anbarrineau | Apr 4, 2013 |

Is contained in

The Annotated H.P. Lovecraft by H. P. Lovecraft

H. P. Lovecraft's The Haunter of the Dark, and Other Grotesque Visions by H. P. Lovecraft

H. P. Lovecraft: Tales (Library of America) by H. P. Lovecraft

Fasansfulla händelser i Dunwich : och andra noveller by H. P. Lovecraft

The Best of H. P. Lovecraft: Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and the Macabre by H. P. Lovecraft

The Dark Worlds of H. P. Lovecraft, Volume 1: The Dunwich Horror / The Call of Cthulhu by H. P. Lovecraft

The H.P. Lovecraft Omnibus 3: The Haunter of the Dark and Other Tales by H. P. Lovecraft

11 Great Horror Stories by Betty M. Owen

The Thing on the Doorstep and Other Weird Stories by H. P. Lovecraft

The Dunwich Cycle by Robert M. Price

The Whisperer in Darkness by H. P. Lovecraft

The Dunwich Horror and Others by H. P. Lovecraft

The Cthulhu Mythos Megapack by John Gregory Betancourt

Crawling Chaos: 1928-1935 by H. P. Lovecraft

Complete Cthulhu Mythos: H. P. Lovecraft (Pulp Cthulhu Mythos) by H. P. Lovecraft

The Call of Cthulhu and Other Dark Tales by H. P. Lovecraft

Cthulhu : Geistergeschichten by Howard Phillips Lovecraft

H. P. Lovecraft's Tales in the Cthulhu Mythos - A Collection of Short Stories (Fantasy and Horror Classics) by H. P. Lovecraft

Tales of H.P. Lovecraft by H. P. Lovecraft

Haunter of the Dark and Other Tales of Horror by H. P. Lovecraft

H. P. Lovecraft: Great Tales of Horror by H. P. Lovecraft

The Dunwich Horror (Penguin Red Classics) by H. P. Lovecraft

H.P. Lovecraft's Dunwich: Return to the Forgotten Village by Keith Herber

Mitos De Cthulhu Iv: El Horror De Dunwich/el Que Acecha En La Oscuridad (Lovecraft) by H. P. Lovecraft

The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Tales by H. P. Lovecraft

Yog Sothothery - The Definitive H.P. Lovecraft Anthology by H. P. Lovecraft

Is an adaptation of

Has the adaptation

Inspired

Gorgons and Hydras, and Chimaeras - dire stories of Celaeno and the Harpies - may reproduce themselves in the brain of superstition - but they were there before. They are transcripts, types - the archetypes are in us, and eternal. How else should the recital of that which we know in a waking sense to be false come to affect us all? Is it that we naturally conceive terror from such objects, considered in their capacity of being able to inflict upon us bodily injury? O, least of all! These terrors are of older standing. They date beyond body - or without the body, they would have been the same… That the kind of fear here treated is purely spiritual - that it is strong in proportion as it is objectless on earth, that it predominates in the period of our sinless infancy - are difficulties the solution of which might afford some probable insight into our ante-mundane condition, and a peep at least into the shadowland of pre-existence. - Charles Lamb: Witches and Other Night-Fears
Howard Philips Lovecraft was born August 20, 1890, in Providence, Rhode Island, to Winfield Scott Lovecraft and Sarah Susan (Phillips) Lovecraft, both of predominantly English descent.
When a traveller in north central Massachusetts takes the wrong fork at the junction of Aylesbury pike just beyond Dean's Corners he comes upon a lonely and curious country.
I tell ye, Mis' Corey, they's suthin' abroad as hadn't orter be abroad, an' I for one think that black Wilbur Whateley, as come to the bad end he deserved, is at the bottom of the breedin' of it.
This work is the short story, do not combine with the various namesake collections.

The book with ISBN 207038781X is indeed only the short story, though in bilingual english/french text.

Every night the whole nation watches the ultimate live game TV show, as the contestants try to beat annihilation at the hands of the hunters in order to win the billion dollar jackpot. And now there's a new contestant, the latest Running Man, staking his life while a nation watches.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,404,463 books! | Top bar: Always visible