The British Lion: A Novel by Tony Schumacher

The British Lion: A Novel

by Tony Schumacher

A good alternate history story in which Charles Lindbergh is U.S. President in 1946. The Germans have occupied the UK. Churchill and the royal family are in exile in Canada. The British P.M. is Oswald Mosely, the pre-war fascist. The Duke of Windsor has been retored to the throne. Joseph Kennedy is the U.S. ambassador to occupied Britain. ( )
  velopunk | Feb 22, 2017 |
Book Description In this crackling alternate history thriller set in the years after World War II--the riveting sequel to The Darkest Hour--London detective John Rossett joins forces with his Nazi boss to save the commander's kidnapped daughter as the Germans race to make the first atomic bomb. With the end of the war, the victorious Germans now occupy a defeated Great Britain. In London, decorated detective John Henry Rossett, now reporting to the Nazi victors, lies in a hospital bed recovering from gunshot wounds. Desperate to avoid blame over the events that led to the shooting, his boss, Ernst Koehler, covers up the incident. But when Koehler's wife and daughter are kidnapped by American spies, the terrified German turns to the only man he trusts to help him--a shrewd cop who will do whatever is necessary to get the job done: John Rossett. Surviving his brush with death, Rossett agrees to save his friend's daughter. But in a chaotic new world ruled by treachery and betrayal, doing the right thing can get a man killed. Caught between the Nazi SS, the violent British resistance, and Americans with very uncertain loyalties, Rossett must secretly make his way out of London and find Ruth Hartz, a Jewish scientist working in Cambridge. Spared from death because of her intellect and expertise, she is forced to work on developing the atom bomb for Germany. Though she knows it could end any hope of freedom in Europe and maybe even the world, Ruth must finish the project--if she, too, wants to survive.

My Review This was the sequel to The Darkest Hour which was a riveting adventure of the end of WWII with the idea of the Germans having taken over Britain. I would recommend reading that one first as an introduction to the characters. The adventures of John Rossett continue in this second book and makes for another unputdownable book. I found the characters so well-drawn that you can feel everything they are feeling as the plot twists and turns until the very end. I would recommend this novel to those who like historical fiction. I now look forward to the next book by this talented author and I hope for another John Rossett book in the future." ( )
  EadieB | Jun 1, 2016 |
If I could have found time to read this book all at once, I would not have put it down. I was engrossed, riveted. I didn't want to blink.

Some authors excel at creating characters, others at plot. Tony Schumacher excels at both. Pinpointing what I loved most is impossible, because I loved every aspect, every little nuance, of this story.

Let's start with the plot. This is historical fiction, based on an alternate version of WWII. Here, the Nazis have won the war and taken over Britain. The US is supporting Hitler. While this might sound crazy on the surface, Schumacher shows us just how easily this could have occurred. We see how one little turn of events creates a landslide in an entirely different direction. Schumacher clearly knows his history and he mixes those facts throughout, using the reality of WWII as a backdrop to his alternate world. The result is a plot so realistic that I found myself shuddering against the possibilities.

While the plot kept me on edge and happily uncomfortable (an oxymoron, I know!), the characters held the power. They are real and flawed and oh so human. My emotions were all wrapped up in theirs. The intensity left me breathless.

This book is the sequel to The Darkest Hour. While you could essentially read this one as a stand-alone, I highly recommend starting with the first book. The experience is unforgettable, and will leaving you asking, "What if?"

*A massive thank you to the publisher for allowing me an early read!* ( )
  Darcia | Aug 19, 2015 |

In this crackling alternate history thriller set in the years after World War II—the riveting sequel to The Darkest Hour—London detective John Rossett joins forces with his Nazi boss to save the commander’s kidnapped daughter as the Germans race to make the first atomic bomb.

With the end of the war, the victorious Germans now occupy a defeated Great Britain. In London, decorated detective John Henry Rossett, now reporting to the Nazi victors, lies in a hospital bed recovering from gunshot wounds. Desperate to avoid blame over the events that led to the shooting, his boss, Ernst Koehler, covers up the incident. But when Koehler’s wife and daughter are kidnapped by American spies, the terrified German turns to the only man he trusts to help him—a shrewd cop who will do whatever is necessary to get the job done: John Rossett.

Surviving his brush with death, Rossett agrees to save his friend’s daughter. But in a chaotic new world ruled by treachery and betrayal, doing the right thing can get a man killed. Caught between the Nazi SS, the violent British resistance, and Americans with very uncertain loyalties, Rossett must secretly make his way out of London and find Ruth Hartz, a Jewish scientist working in Cambridge. Spared from death because of her intellect and expertise, she is forced to work on developing the atom bomb for Germany. Though she knows it could end any hope of freedom in Europe and maybe even the world, Ruth must finish the project—if she, too, wants to survive.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 19 Aug 2015 12:54:08 -0400)

In an alternative history thriller set in the years after World War II, London detective John Rossett joins forces with his Nazi boss to save the commander's kidnapped daughter as the Germans race to make the first atomic bomb.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,851,412 books! | Top bar: Always visible