The Christmas Box by Richard Paul Evans

The Christmas Box (1993)

by Richard Paul Evans

A quick, easy read with what is meant to be a heartfelt and meaningful story. The message is definitely there; life is short, spend time with your loved ones. However I couldn't quite connect with the dramatic tone of the book.
  GretchenLynn | Feb 3, 2017 |
The Christmas box by Richard Paul Evans
The ad is from an elderly woman who wants someone to move in, tend to a few things and live in the house.
Sounds too good to be true...Terry and Harry and their young child have outgrown their apartment.
Parken home is described in detail-sounds like a well kept house and roomy. Trial for a bit of time to make sure all are comfortable with one another.
The old woman is a collector of bibles and they have quite the discussion about them. She likes the company and wants to go with them to recitals and other events.
First gift is about giving. Love this story.
  jbarr5 | Nov 29, 2016 |
Tearjerker that I know I read years ago. Widow Mary Ann invites a young family to move in with her. They accept and before her death, she tries to teach the workaholic father what is really important in live. ( )
  nancynova | Mar 4, 2016 |
Not a bad story, another slightly typical Christmas story. I am seeing a pattern in Christmas stories where someone gets sick (usually cancer) and the "Christmas miracle" takes place. This was my first time reading a book by Richard Paul Evans. He is a good storyteller and it is easy to see why so many people like him. ( )
  Erika.D | Jan 28, 2016 |
At around 100 pages, this one didn't take much time at all to read, but I found the story to be flat, uninspirational and very over-the-top. Rick, the narrator, lack depth and dimension, and caused me to feel no sympathy for him in the least. The book was too short to provide enough background to make me invested in him as a husband, father, or businessman. The rest of the characters were, again, too hastily written to seem real. The music playing in the attic, the dreams, and the pointed questions from the widow were odd speedbumps on what should have been a lovely journey through hills, dales, valleys and mountains. Instead, it was a jerky start-and-stop.

Not recommended, especially since there are so many other wonderful and inspirational Christmas books out there. ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |
No little girl could stop the world to wait for me. -Natalie Merchant
For my sister Sue. Whom I love and I miss.
It may be that I am growing old in this world and have used up more than my share of allotted world and eager audiences.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0684814994, Hardcover)

Richard Paul Evans originally wrote The Christmas Box as an expression of love for his two daughters, never intending for it to be published. Many Christmas seasons (and a rich publishing contract) later, this touching tale relates the meaning of Christmas in a profound but simple way. Rick, Keri, and their 4-year-old daughter, Jenna, are hired as caretakers and are welcomed into the home of Mary, an ailing widow, just in time for the holidays. Before long, it becomes apparent that Mary cherishes their companionship, and this young family begins to understand that their relationship to Mary is more special than any one of them could have realized. These tender relationships, fraught with real-life struggles, are the backdrop for unraveling a mysterious secret that gently propels the reader through this short story. Unlike most generic Christmas stories, Evans manages to bypass triviality, imbedding these pages with humble truth and emotion. This tiny treasure will cause you to rejoice in the blessings of the season while stirring up a childlike vigor as old profundity is revealed anew. In a season often shrouded in selfishness and materialism, Evans reminds the reader that the only way that we can genuinely love one another is by accepting the greatest gift of love ever given--that of a Father who "so loved His children that He sent His son, that we might someday return to Him." --Jill Heatherly

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:22 -0400)

An inspirational Christian tale on a dying woman who convinces a busy shopkeeper in Utah to devote more time to his family because their love is God's greatest gift. This is the hardcover edition of a paperback self-published last year.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,079,685 books! | Top bar: Always visible