The Christmas Box by Richard Paul Evans

The Christmas Box (1993)

by Richard Paul Evans

A short powerful book which demonstrates the importance of life and putting priorities in place—love the ones close to you as you never know when they will be taken away. The novel involves love, pain, and death and family commitment. We all as busy adults get busy and forgot our children and skip much needed time with them. This young couple and daughter rented an apartment from this lady in a huge house, which turns out is dying and has lessons to be taught to this sweet family. As usual Evans does not disappoint – a short nice Christmas story. ( )
  JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |
Sweet little story, a real tearjerker. No miracles - well, OK, music to lead him to mysteries - but most of the story is in their perceptions. MaryAnne's perceptions, and Richard's, as he comes to understand what she means. There is one oddity, where he "understands" the answer to her question twice - but it doesn't detract much. I'm glad I read it (finally), but I don't think I need to reread it. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Oct 2, 2014 |
The Christmas Box is about a young couple and their young daughter who move in with an elderly widow to help her out with light chores in exchange for rooms. Mary, the widow, becomes an adopted grandmother to them all and feels compelled to pass on wisdom she has gained with her years.

This was a nice, easy read (I literally read it in about an hour). The lightness of the story, though, masks the underlying lesson about the first gift of Christmas and the preciousness of time.

I would recommend this to anyone, but especially busy parents who are maybe starting to lose sight of what really matters to their children. ( )
  JG_IntrovertedReader | Apr 3, 2013 |
What an inspirational story - all year round ( )
  suefitz1 | Apr 3, 2013 |
"The sacred contents of that box are a parent's pure love for a child, manifested first by a Father's love for all His children, as He sacrificed that which He loved most and sent His son to earth on that Christmas day so long ago. And as long as the earth lives, and longer, that message will never die."
That is what this book is about. Either the readers beliefs will be reaffirmed, rekindled or renounced. Perhaps a little sappy, a tad corny and maybe a bit righteous but, none the less, at times it simply gave me goosebumps and acts as a reminder that our lives with our families are ephimerel and to hold them oh so close. ( )
1 vote Carmenere | Feb 3, 2013 |
No little girl could stop the world to wait for me. -Natalie Merchant
For my sister Sue. Whom I love and I miss.
It may be that I am growing old in this world and have used up more than my share of allotted world and eager audiences.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0684814994, Hardcover)

Richard Paul Evans originally wrote The Christmas Box as an expression of love for his two daughters, never intending for it to be published. Many Christmas seasons (and a rich publishing contract) later, this touching tale relates the meaning of Christmas in a profound but simple way. Rick, Keri, and their 4-year-old daughter, Jenna, are hired as caretakers and are welcomed into the home of Mary, an ailing widow, just in time for the holidays. Before long, it becomes apparent that Mary cherishes their companionship, and this young family begins to understand that their relationship to Mary is more special than any one of them could have realized. These tender relationships, fraught with real-life struggles, are the backdrop for unraveling a mysterious secret that gently propels the reader through this short story. Unlike most generic Christmas stories, Evans manages to bypass triviality, imbedding these pages with humble truth and emotion. This tiny treasure will cause you to rejoice in the blessings of the season while stirring up a childlike vigor as old profundity is revealed anew. In a season often shrouded in selfishness and materialism, Evans reminds the reader that the only way that we can genuinely love one another is by accepting the greatest gift of love ever given--that of a Father who "so loved His children that He sent His son, that we might someday return to Him." --Jill Heatherly

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:40 -0400)

An inspirational Christian tale on a dying woman who convinces a busy shopkeeper in Utah to devote more time to his family because their love is God's greatest gift. This is the hardcover edition of a paperback self-published last year.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,394,879 books! | Top bar: Always visible