Carried Away: A Selection of Stories…

Carried Away: A Selection of Stories (Everyman's Library)

by Alice Munro

Insightful short story into how life's decisions are made based on fear and insecurity. ( )
  nlgeorge | Sep 28, 2013 |
I read somewhere that Alice Munro's work is particularly difficult to write about and so it is. I left a gap between reading each story (necessary I think) and kept thinking how was it possible to make small town life and the people in it so interesting. I liked the way we are often surprised as readers to the jumps backwards and forwards in time without feeling these devices were too tricksy. ( )
  hazelk | Aug 24, 2009 |
This is a great intro to one of our greatest living writers -- a selection of the author's favorite stories, from across her long writing career.

Sigh....what to say about Alice Munro, other than she is a genius? She is a close observer of the internal struggles of her characters, and of domestic life. Like Alice McDermott, she has a wonderful eye for detail, and a talent for drawing characters that are incredibly real.

What I think sets her apart, though, is that while her writing is truly believable, she also has a knack for surprising the reader. There are twists and turns in her stories that will take you aback -- but they never feel contrived or thrown in for the sake of cheap effect. Rather, they are surprising in the way lives of regular, every day people can be suddenly surprising or startling.

Added bonus: though she is not a comic writer, you will find yourself laughing at some of the wry observations of her narrators.

Cannot recommend this book any more highly. Read all her books -- there isn't a bad one among the bunch. ( )
  ericap32 | Aug 11, 2008 |
I've read other anthologies by Alice Munro. I got this to especially read "The Bear Came Over the Mountain", in anticipation of seeing "Away from Her". Munro's stories are not light reading -- one at a time is usually enough. The telling is rarely straightforward, often several threads are woven at the same time. Relationships are fascinating. Definitely a writer's writer. ( )
  lmb208 | Jul 5, 2008 |
First time reader of Alice Munro. I'm not especially excited about reading short stories, but this book just might change my mind. We are halfway through the book, and have trouble putting it down ( )
  kcrewdso | Aug 30, 2007 |

(Book Jacket Status: Jacketed)

Carried Away is a dazzling selection of stories–seventeen favorites chosen by the author from across her distinguished career.

Alice Munro has been repeatedly hailed as one of our greatest living writers, a reputation that has been growing for years. The stories brought together here span a quarter century, drawn from some of her earliest books, The Beggar Maid and The Moons of Jupiter, through her recent best-selling collection, Runaway.

Here are such favorites as “Royal Beatings” in which a young girl, her father, and stepmother release the tension of their circumstances in a ritual of punishment and reconciliation; “Friend of My Youth” in which a woman comes to understand that her difficult mother is not so very different from herself; and “The Love of a Good Woman,” in which, when an old crime resurfaces, a woman has to choose whether to believe in the man she intends to marry.

Munro’s incomparable empathy for her characters, the depth of her understanding of human nature, and the grace and surprise of her narrative add up to a richly layered and capacious fiction. Like the World War I soldier in the title story, whose letters from the front to a small-town librarian he doesn’t know change her life forever, Munro’s unassuming characters insinuate themselves in our hearts and take permanent hold.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:43 -0400)

An array of short fiction, selected by the author and spanning the full range of her career, encompasses seventeen stories, drawn from such collections as The Beggar Maid, The Moons of Jupiter, and Runaway.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,502,354 books! | Top bar: Always visible