The Sudden Appearance of Hope by Claire…

The Sudden Appearance of Hope

by Claire North

Read as an audiobook. Narrator was fabulous and the book was pretty good too. A not-so-distant futuristic novel with a character who has a fascinating disorder. Couldn't wait to listen every day, kind of sad to finish. ( )
  Wordbrarian | Mar 5, 2019 |
Super-fascinating meditation on how we exist if we aren't seen/remembered. ( )
  decaturmamaof2 | Nov 28, 2018 |
Another exploration trough a preposterous what if, this one being what if there a very few individuals whose personal interactions with others are erased from memory withing a minute such a person being out of sight - literally out of sight, never was in mind. Issues of who you are if you are free of others expectations and recollection and of the horrendous noise and cost of individual and societal expectations. The plot involves an app that tells you how to become perfect and incentivizes by awarding rewards base on points acquired by approved behaviors and purchases. It has the highest scorers literally erasing themselves to become the app's version of perfect. Some interesting characters, never quite believable situations, moved OK, but dragged a bit, it could have been tightened up. ( )
  quondame | Aug 19, 2018 |

Hope Arden, in The Sudden Appearance of Hope, is socially invisible; as soon as she finishes interacting with you, you forget her. If you meet her again, you think it's the firt time. You won't recognise her from her photographs. She grew into this alarming condition as a teenager; messages she writes endure, but the people she meets do not remember her. She exploits it to become a master thief; but her relationships can never last longer than a night with her lover of the moment.

At the same time, a new lifestyle app called Perfection is perniciously forcing its users to adopt its creators' image of the perfectly fashionable human being. Hope and the makers of Perfection come into conflict - deliberately sought from both sides, even though neither has a clear idea of the other, leading to much conflict and confusion and excellent action. There is a lot of globe-trotting, which I see some readers objecting to, but I actually found the portrayal of Istanbul rather convincing (having been there myself recently) and felt she at least caught the spirit of the other locations. Really enjoyed it, as I did the previous two. ( )
  nwhyte | Mar 11, 2018 |
Hope Arden has a condition that causes you to forget her. Once she leaves your sight and her voice leaves your ears, you will forget. You will remember what you were doing, but you will only remember being alone. This is Hope's life. With no way to have a job, relationships, or home, she must rely on her condition to become a master thief. It is the only way she can survive on her own.

I finished this book at 2 AM. Knowing I needed to be up early, knowing I needed to sleep, I still stayed up until 2 AM to finish it. I was determined to finish it because, not only was a pretty great book but, it was due to go back to the library.

When I first finished it, I rated it 3 stars, but, after sleeping on it and letting it sit with me, I increased that to 4 stars. It really is a great story with plenty of action, but a lot of compelling drama. It makes you feel for Hope and never want to forget her. It has an interesting conspiracy at the center of it and makes you even more interested in how everything is going to play out.

BingeReader87 | Nov 22, 2017 |

Claire Northprimary authorall editionscalculated
Itani, MohamadCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spilling, DuncanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
They said, when they died, that all they could hear was the screaming.
The world began to forget me when I was sixteen years old.
My face fades from the minds of men. Only my deeds remain.
Forget Me Not was a prepublication title for The Sudden Appearance of Hope and I assume some members have not updated their records to show the actual published title. I think therefore that these are the same book.

Listen.

So listen. Remember me.

That makes my life tricky. But it also makes me dangerous . . .

Forget Me Not is the tale of the girl no one remembers. But this gripping story -- of love and loss, of hope and despair, of living in the moment and dying to leave a mark -- is novel that will stay with you for ever.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 29 Aug 2015 01:58:10 -0400)

Listen. All the world forgets me. First my face, then my voice, then the consequences of my deeds. So listen. Remember me. My name is Hope Ardern, and you won't know who I am. We've met before - a thousand times. But I am the girl the world forgets. It started when I was sixteen years old. A slow declining, an isolation, one piece at a time. A father forgetting to drive me to school. A mother setting the table for three, not four. A teacher who forgets to chase my missing homework. A friend who looks straight through me and sees a stranger. No matter what I do, the words I say, the people I hurt, the crimes I commit - you will never remember who I am. That makes my life tricky. But it also makes me dangerous . . . --Publisher… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,512,590 books! | Top bar: Always visible