Jubilee Year: A Novel (Erelong Book 1) by…

Jubilee Year: A Novel (Erelong Book 1)

by Gerard O'Neill

This is the first book in his Erelong Series. I hate to admit it but I had difficulty getting into this one. The premise was something I usually get into, apocalyptic futures, but I had to start the book over at least three times before I remembered enough of the characters and story to continue. Definitely not a good omen. The writing seemed stuttered, broken, like those long ago telegrams with the word stop added after every sentence.

The story was compelling enough; it's a natural disaster apocalypse made worse by a corrupt government. But I couldn't get past the writing to really get into it or make any sort of connection with the characters. I kept feeling like I was being jerked around like when riding without a seatbelt on a bumpy road. It's a shame really because I could see hints of how good it could be. ( )
  BekahMorel | Apr 8, 2017 |
Interesting story. Good plot. This story falls down on the minor characters, especially the soldiers at the end of the story. I had great difficulty remembering who was who. Some were killed as well and I had no idea who they were. The story had a slow start. I would've liked to have seen more action or a faster pace. Also the story seemed to keep jumping. I became confused as to the timeline. But the story made the all the other problems go away. Great story. Needs a little work though. ( )
  somethingblanc | Mar 4, 2017 |
Available Kindle Unlimited tho since didn't get it that way, either one of my free books sites or maybe a free hope you review it copy ah librarything, but either way I review everything I get around to reading which can be up to 10 or more a day plus have ku. Might be a bit biased about the story line, because it reminds me of the twin Keck telescopes in Hawaii which between interest in that and sharing the name {all that have that last name are related in some way} thought it was quite an interesting story, which probably wouldn't have gotten around to reading as fast if had just been listed under YA or dystopian but quite an interesting story nonetheless. ( )
  Key_Largo | Jan 23, 2017 |
I received an AR copy of Jubilee Year from the publisher in exchange for an unbiased review.

Set primarily in Australia, Jubilee Year is a book with an interesting post-apocalyptic type of story line. I found that the book started out a bit on the slow side, taking some time to get to the actual plot, but once it got started, I did enjoy the story, for the most part.

Aside from the pacing issues, and the plot's tendency to jump around in a way that made it somewhat confusing, I also felt that a lot of the characters could use some fleshing out. While the main character got some development, a lot of the other characters were so flat that I couldn't differentiate between them. Particularly the soldiers in the last couple of chapters.

That being said, the book did have enough going for it to hold my attention the entire way through, and it was interesting enough that I would be curious to read the second book in the series, at the very least. If you like post-apocalyptic stories, this one is definitely worth giving a read. ( )
  Ally.Santra | Apr 25, 2016 |
Storm was 18 years old and not clear on what he wanted to do with his life . When they were kids Storm and his younger sister Summer were adopted by Pete and Stella. Sadly they fell on hard times and the family broke apart. Now Storm is thinking of joining the armed forces which the family isn’t happy about including his girlfriend Penny.

Storm’s problems get thrown on the back burner though as Pete and Penny’s astronomer father discover that a Star is entering Earth’s solar system which will wipe out 70% of all life on Earth. To make matters worse, there is a secret organization within the government that wants to make sure that there will be as few survivors as possible. Storm and his family will have to escape assassination squads and find shelter if they are going to survive the biggest disaster of all time.

Jubilee Year by Gerard O’Neill sucks you in by letting you get to know an average normal family and once you like them you get to see how this family survives the apocalypse. What really makes this story interesting is how it’s told. There are a lot of apocalypse books out there that are full of action but this one takes a different approach by introducing likable characters and then getting into a conspiracy theory followed by a catastrophe. The story starts simple but gets more complex as it goes along.

When I first got this book I was apprehensive because I read reviews saying that nothing interesting happens in the first half of the story. As you are reading though you realize that the author knew what he was doing by not having a lot of action early on. Gerald O’Neill makes you care about Storm’s family because you can relate to the problems that they have. Such as Pete being an alcoholic, Storm not knowing what to do with himself as he moves into adulthood and Penny’s father finding out that something horrible is about to happen but thinking no one will believe him.

I was invested right there and would have liked just a story about these characters but then we get into what is going on with the government cover-up. The book introduces a shadowy organization that controls the government and media and keeps our attention off of what is really going on. I loved the concept of the media keeping the attention off of the changes in the atmosphere since I’ve read theories online before about are planet changing and the media covering it up. I also loved how the science of what is happening is explained. With a lot of Science Fiction books, the scientific explanations go over my head but in this book I had no problem understanding and believing in what is happening.

I loved that this story was a slow build and then you are left to wonder who Storm can and can’t trust. My favorite part of this book was the idea that even with civilization as we know it coming to an end, you still have a group of people trying to control the masses. I like this because I think if something like this was really going to happen there would still be people who wanted to have power over others. Jubilee Year is the first in a three book series and definitely worth your time. ( )
  dwatson2 | Feb 20, 2016 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,901,462 books! | Top bar: Always visible