Who Goes There by John W. Campbell

Who Goes There (1948)

by John W. Campbell

English (7)  Danish (1)  All languages (8)
Wonderful story that spawned two very different but excellent films made nearly thirty years apart. ( )
  steve12553 | Jun 7, 2016 |
There's a reason this film had to be remade: The abject terror of having people--and critters--you know and love completely taken over down to a cellular level can't be approximated by any other kind of monstrosity. This is in many ways a rape fable; the invasion is so personal that it's impossible to be anything but outraged, repulsed and terrified. ( )
  KelMunger | May 28, 2014 |
I liked "The Ting" movie and this was a pleasant and very short read. ( )
  martinhughharvey | Jan 23, 2014 |
I think the strange-sounding dialogue and the clunky infodumps were what readers of the pulps expected at the time. I had a little trouble suspending my disbelief through some of the sections where they were attempting to apply logic to figure out who was human and who was monster. The short action scenes were quite good, however, raising this tale from being only a historical novelty to me. ( )
  rmagahiz | Dec 21, 2013 |
John Carpenter's The Thing is probably my favorite horror creature movie of all time. I'm so glad I finally got the chance to read the story that it was based on. ( )
  stefferoo | Mar 5, 2013 |
A collectionm of seven short stories, including the novella with the same name. In the UK published as 'The Thing and Other Stories','The Thing' and 'The Thing from Outer Space'

The tie-in to the upcoming blockbuster prequel to John Carpenter's THE THING - the never before told story of the original doomed Norwegian expedition. When a group of scientific researchers, isolated in Antarctica, stumble across an alien spaceship buried in the ice it seems like an incredible opportunity. The alien pilot can just be seen - a shadowy figure frozen just a short depth into the ice. It looks as though he survived the crash only to be flash-frozen on the Antarctic plateau. The team fight the frozen conditions to free the ship from the ice - with disastrous consequences - and rescue the alien. As they transport the corpse, one of their greatest finds, out on the ice back to their camp, several scientists begin to experience extraordinary, vivid and unsettling dreams. They're dismissed as the product of stress and the harsh conditions ...but the nightmare is only beginning.

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 23 Aug 2015 16:05:27 -0400)

A group of scientists. An object buried under the ice. A terrifying fight for survival.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,505,726 books! | Top bar: Always visible