The Mummy Congress: Science, Obsession, and the Everlasting Dead (2001)

by Heather Pringle

Unravels the mysteries of mummies by following the women & men who devote their lives to studying them. The World Congress on Mummy Studies brings together mummy experts from all over the world & airs their latest findings. Who are these scientists & what draws them to this morbid yet captivating field? Takes you on a journey over five continents & across nearly 7,000 years to show what mummies & the people who study them can tell us about ourselves, our fears of mortality & our dreams of eternal life, the lives of our ancestors & about the possibilities for future generations… (more)

Interesting book, nice writing style. ( )
  ElentarriLT | Mar 24, 2020 |
shortlisted 2001
writer's trust of canada pearson nonfiction prize
bc book prize
INFORMATIVE, ENTERTAINING, GREAT ( )
  mahallett | Aug 9, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this book and learned a few things too. The text is easy to understand for someone outside the fields of study covered in this book. I like how each chapter is focused on one topic rather then trying to write a chronological piece. Being able to focus on parasites for an entire chapter made reading much easier than having to keep track of a bunch of names and dates. ( )
1 vote pussreboots | Oct 1, 2014 |
An absolutely fascinating account of all things mummy, from the debate over dissecting them to see what medical use they can be to the methods by which they were preserved, the various uses to which they have been put over the centuries, and more. It's also a very good profile of the scientists and historians who have devoted their lives to the study of these preserved humans. ( )
  JBD1 | Oct 24, 2013 |
Really fascinating book. I've always thought of mummies as the linen-wrapped folks from Egypt. They're really any person that is preserved by human means or by natural means.

She details where mummies have been found, how they were preserved and their culture. She also describes the researchers who study mummies and what studies are done.

Very cool book ( )
  IntrinsiclyMe | Apr 3, 2010 |
All the stories sparkle. Pringle is a crack-shot storyteller. She chooses the level of detail precisely, so that we see the virtual reality but do not lose the plot. . . So why doesn't ''The Mummy Congress'' get anywhere? All those lovely stories are only a list, in no particular order, unrelated except for their shared subject; they don't add up to any larger story.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,819,906 books! | Top bar: Always visible