Tricks by Ellen Hopkins

Tricks

by Ellen Hopkins

Five troubled teenagers fall into prostitution as they search for freedom, safety, community, family, and love.
    Glass by Ellen Hopkins (makenzieg)
    Glimpse by Carol Lynch Williams (khuggard)
    khuggard: Though Tricks is grittier and more explicit than Glimpse, these are both novels in verse about teens facing the unthinkable.
    Candy by Kevin Brooks (meggyweg)

I had to put this one down. I am usually pretty liberal, but this one made me feel icky. I am weeding it from my library, too. If Hopkins was going for shock value, she achieved it. I understand that this is the kind of stuff kids want to read, but when is too much too much? This is to teen angst what Saw is to horror. Ew. ( )
  kweber319 | May 13, 2019 |
This book didn't disappoint. Ellen Hopkins I must say is one of my favorite authors. She makes readers experience and understand that horrible things that really do occur in our society though we try so hard to ignore this. But the more that we don't acknowledge that there is a problem the more we feed it to become even bigger. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone though it can become quite intense.
Many of Hopkins books helps me understand why some of the people I know go through their addiction and that it could be anyone around me. ( )
  bookscantgetenough | May 5, 2019 |
In these pages are stories about five teens, who despite their varied backgrounds and environments, all end up in the same place; Las Vegas. In the typical Ellen Hopkins style, their stories are told through poems. This book deals with a really tough topic, and that is teen prostitution. It can happen to anyone, and the end of the book reaches out with a number to call if you are in a situation like this, and need help.

Check out the rest of my review here!

https://radioactivebookreviews.wordpress.com/2018/09/17/tricks-tricks-1-by-ellen... ( )
  radioactivebookworm | Sep 17, 2018 |
Startling and believeable. I learned a lot. This page turner follows five teens as they individually turn to prostitution and find their way to Las Vegas. The poem "you" is a stunning piece of art work. ( )
  KristinAkerHowell | Aug 15, 2015 |
  KristinAkerHowell | Aug 15, 2015 |
A Poem by Eden Streit
Eyes Tell Stories
But do they know how
to craft fiction? Do
They know how to spin                          Lies?

His eyes swear forever,
flatter with vows of only
me. But are they empty                          Promises?

I stare into his eyes, as
into a crystal ball, but
I cannot find forever,                           only

movies of yesterday,
a sketchbook of today,
dreams of a shared                                    tomorrow.

His eyes whisper secrets.
But are they truths or fairy tales?
I wonder if even he                                  knows.

Five teenagers from different parts of the country. Three girls. Two guys. Four straight. One gay. Some rich. Some poor. Some from great families. Some with no one at all. All living their lives as best they can, but all searching...for freedom, safety, community, family, love. What they don't expect, though, is all that can happen when those powerful little words "I love you" are said for all the wrong reasons.

Five moving stories remain separate at first, then interweave to tell a larger, powerful story — a story about making choices, taking leaps of faith, falling down, and growing up. A story about kids figuring out what sex and love are all about, at all costs, while asking themselves, "Can I ever feel okay about myself?"

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,566,294 books! | Top bar: Always visible