The Food Lab: Better Home Cooking Through…

The Food Lab: Better Home Cooking Through Science

by J. Kenji López-Alt

A great reference book for the kitchen. His writing is enjoyable to read and the two things I've cooked so far have been tasty. I asked my husband to rate the results and he gave an enthusiastic 5 stars. ( )
  allriledup | Aug 11, 2018 |
Better Home Cooking through scienc
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
Not for the faint of heart. But a read that is well worth it in the end.

Although it took me nearly half a year to read, I'm glad I did so. [a:J. Kenji López-Alt|7958610|J. Kenji López-Alt|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1439226893p2/7958610.jpg] shares his wealth of experience as a chef and working for The Test Kitchen, as well as his love of science, to give home cooks a scientific explanation for why things work in the kitchen. Similarly to [b:The Science of Good Cooking: Master 50 Simple Concepts to Enjoy a Lifetime of Success in the Kitchen|14636971|The Science of Good Cooking Master 50 Simple Concepts to Enjoy a Lifetime of Success in the Kitchen|Cook's Illustrated Magazine|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1350473300s/14636971.jpg|20282019], he paces his chapters with a quick narrative related to the concept, some scientific background and experiments that he went through, and his final analysis of the work. Now, like a good scientist, it would be your job to repeat the experiment and see if your results are repeated. Or…you could just follow his recipes.

If you're like me, you will want to read the book from cover to cover, relishing in every morsel of wisdom that he has to offer. Other people may opt to flip to a food that they're interested in, read a little bit about the background of the science, and then try out a recipe. But if you're just interested in the recipes, why even bother getting the book? The whole point is to understand why things work the way that they do in the kitchen. It'll make you an even better cook in the long run!

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and it will be a definitely reference when I want to read up on the science of cooking. ( )
2 vote jms001 | Sep 10, 2016 |
I'd give it ten stars if I could. If I could, I would give this book ten stars. It isn't a recipe book per se. It tells you HOW to make great food ... and WHY the techniques described work. Once you understand the science of WHY, you will become a better cook no matter what your present level of skill. I have a cookbook collection numbering about 1,500. This tome (it's big and heavy and rich in detail) has immediately joined my top five and, as the introduction noted, after ten minutes with this book you will become a better cook. You don't have to be a science geek, or even a great cook, to benefit from and to love this book. Lopez-Alt tells what works and why, and what doesn't. This book is what happens when a science geek loves to cook, and is cool enough to share his experiments with the world. I love this book. This -- and Page & Dornenberg's "The Flavor Bible" -- will become my go-to gift for weddings, birthdays and housewarmings for anyone who loves good food. It's really THAT good. I anxiously await the author's next book. ( )
2 vote bjcohan | Feb 26, 2016 |
Excellent recipes explaining the science of how to cook well, beautifully illustrated and interesting to read. Even the simple dishes have small details that really affect the outcome. We made scrambled eggs using his recipe that were the best I've ever eaten. It is a doorstop of a book, though! ( )
1 vote aviddiva | Feb 15, 2016 |

A grand tour of the science of cooking explored through popular American dishes, illustrated in full color.

Ever wondered how to pan-fry a steak with a charred crust and an interior that's perfectly medium-rare from edge to edge when you cut into it? How to make homemade mac 'n' cheese that is as satisfyingly gooey and velvety-smooth as the blue box stuff, but far tastier? How to roast a succulent, moist turkey (forget about brining!)―and use a foolproof method that works every time?

As Serious Eats's culinary nerd-in-residence, J. Kenji López-Alt has pondered all these questions and more. In The Food Lab, Kenji focuses on the science behind beloved American dishes, delving into the interactions between heat, energy, and molecules that create great food. Kenji shows that often, conventional methods don’t work that well, and home cooks can achieve far better results using new―but simple―techniques. In hundreds of easy-to-make recipes with over 1,000 full-color images, you will find out how to make foolproof Hollandaise sauce in just two minutes, how to transform one simple tomato sauce into a half dozen dishes, how to make the crispiest, creamiest potato casserole ever conceived, and much more.

Over 1000 color photographs

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 02 Sep 2015 03:41:43 -0400)

"As Serious Eats's culinary nerd-in-residence, J. Kenji López-Alt has pondered [how to pan-fry a steak with a charred crust and an interior that's perfectly medium-rare from edge to edge when you cut into it] and more. In [this book], Kenji focuses on the science behind beloved American dishes, delving into the interactions between heat, energy, and molecules that create great food. Kenji shows that often, conventional methods don't work that well, and home cooks can achieve far better results using new--but simple--techniques"--Amazon.com.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,833,051 books! | Top bar: Always visible