Wreck and Order: A Novel by Hannah…

Wreck and Order: A Novel (edition 2016)

by Hannah Tennant-Moore (Author)

Member:SarahKat84
Title:Wreck and Order: A Novel
Authors:Hannah Tennant-Moore (Author)
Info:Hogarth (2016), 304 pages
Rating:***

Wreck and Order: A Novel by Hannah Tennant-Moore

I hated the first quarter of this book. Elsie is a difficult character to read about; she is overprivileged, entitled, shallow, whiny, and continually makes bad life choices. I don't generally have a problem with unlikable protagonists, but her self-absorption could be hard to take. But I do think she developed some layers as the book went on, and she was self-aware enough to realize a lot of her own faults. I probably wouldn't have put this on the First Novel longlist, but I will be looking out for Tennant-Moore's next novel. ( )
  GaylaBassham | May 27, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I started reading this a few days ago. It's been sitting on my shelf for a while and it was a LibraryThing giveaway that I should have read and reviewed long ago. I'm on a mission to clear books off my TBR shelf (very slowly) and picked this up but 30 pages in and I'm giving up. There's nothing wrong with the writing - it's definitely a very confident, young voice. Maybe it's just not for me. But after getting through some 30 pages, I realized that I really didn't care for the narrator or her story and that I've got plenty more books to spend my reading time on.
  RealLifeReading | Mar 22, 2018 |
I had some major issues with the book; tried to explain it in this review. ( )
  subabat | Mar 19, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was a very enjoyable read. I found the main character both intriguing and real; I felt her pain and understood her life's struggle as she searched for her answers. The writing is strong and the settings, characters, and storyline was excellent. I would recommend this to any readers who have searched to find their own answers in life. ( )
  BedOfRoses | Sep 30, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I'm sure a lot of people will find the narrator intolerable, but I think there was a healthy dose of acknowledgement for that. In other words, I think the book kind of commented on itself. The execution wasn't perfect, but I sort of like the attempt it made to put imperfection in a glaring light. ( )
  mermaidatheart | Sep 5, 2017 |
I wanted to really like this book but it I couldn't get into it. I tried too many times and couldn't catch on.
added by Katie1723 | editLibrarything early reviewer

Decisively aimless, self-destructive, and impulsively in and out of love, Elsie is a young woman who feels stuck. She has a tumultuous relationship with an abusive boyfriend, a dead-end job at a newspaper, and a sharp intelligence that's constantly at odds with her many bad decisions. When her initial attempts to improve her life go awry, Elsie decides that a dramatic change is the only solution.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Hannah Tennant-Moore's book Wreck and Order was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,982,066 books! | Top bar: Always visible