The Madwoman Upstairs by Catherine Lowell

The Madwoman Upstairs

by Catherine Lowell

Thank you to Touchstone Book and Edelweiss for granting me access to this Advance Review Copy of "The Madwoman Upstairs."

Could I be the only person reading about the Brontë's last (fictional) descendant to have never read a book by any Brontë? I'll never know, but I suspect it is possible.

I devoured this book in a twenty-four hour period. It had just about everything I love in a book -- intrigue, literary mystery, romance, history and a puzzle. I enjoyed learning about Oxford, the Brontë family and imagining myself in the drafty tower.

The only thing I wish were different -- and I'll try not to spoil anything -- is when our heroine does or does not find or not find that which she has been seeking. Kind of anti-climactic!

But I loved it. Read this book! ( )
  LMJenkins | Nov 28, 2018 |
This was a cute story, but ultimately unsatisfying. There's a lot in this book that doesn't hold up to scrutiny, to the point that I was taking it as a madcap sort of book in the fashion of Jasper Fforde at first, but it doesn't really follow through on that vein, so we're left to believe that Samantha really would be left in an unheated attic room open to public tours and her relation to the Brontes would really make her an object of general interest. The less said about the romance the better - it's tacked on, and would have been far more powerful if the ending had subverted the whole "reader, I married him" cliche. There's an interesting point here about the invented life of historical figures and whether the intention of the author is more important than what the reader brings to a text, but I can't say that I really enjoyed the experience of reading this book. ( )
  duchessjlh | Nov 21, 2018 |
THE MADWOMAN UPSTAIRS was mostly totally enjoyable reading until the unfortunately predictable climax at The Well and the crappy ending.

C'mon, author, you can meet your own challenges with more force!

As well, why didn't Samantha immediately move from the unsavory tower where anyone could pretty much simply walk in on her...?

For most of the book, it was Tristan Whipple who was my favorite and most imaginative character, not wimpy Samantha or rude Orville. ( )
  m.belljackson | Nov 14, 2018 |
I absolutely, positively love this book! Part mystery,part love story and part coming to terms with the past, this novel is creative, funny and extremely engrossing. ( )
  cdyankeefan | Aug 25, 2018 |
2.5 stars. Meh. ( )
  blogbrarian | Jul 16, 2018 |
"This is an entertaining and ultimately sweet story, but it’s best if you don’t think about it too hard."
added by ablachly | editKirkus Reviews (Mar 1, 2016)

Even without its attraction for Brontë-philes, however, this is an enjoyable academic romp that successfully combines romance and intrigue, one that benefits from never taking itself too seriously.

To my beautiful parents
The night I arrived at Oxford, I learned that my dorm room was built in 1361 and had originally been used to quarantine victims of the plague.

"A debut novel about the last remaining descendant of the Brontës who discovers that her recently deceased father has left her a treasure hunt that may lead to the long-rumored secret literary estate"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,800,506 books! | Top bar: Always visible