The Nest: A Novel by Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney

The Nest: A Novel

by Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney

Before You Know Kindness by Chris Bohjalian (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both upper middle class family dramas feature an ensemble cast of flawed, surprisingly sympathetic characters who struggle with the consequences of a relative's terrible accident. While the realistic characters are the focal point, the family crisis adds quiet suspense.… (more)
    A Perfectly Good Family by Lionel Shriver (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Though A Perfectly Good family is a bit more raw than the often humorous The Nest, both relate the (fraught) relationships between siblings over a family inheritance.
    Commonwealth by Ann Patchett (Micheller7)

English (90)  German (2)  All (92)
I purchased this book. This is my review and all opinions are my own. 📚

🌟🌟🌟🌟The Nest by Cynthia D'Aprix is a wonderfully written family drama about 2 brothers and 2 sisters waiting on their youngest sisters 40th birthday to receive their inheritance only to discover the majority of it has been squandered away by their mother and family lawyer to cover up their oldest brother's lies and mistakes. Come take a walk with the Plumb's through their everyday lives and discover with them how things sometimes seem to work out better if you work as a family unit rather than as individuals. Life sometimes has a way to place people in your lives to teach you everything is going to be alright even if it isn't a fairytale. 📚 Review also posted on my blog https://readsbystacie.com ( )
  SBoren | Oct 1, 2017 |
I enjoyed this quite a bit. Somehow a light but substantive look at a family with all the typical dysfunction of a selfish destructive sibling. The authored juggled a number of their stories while making me care about each. Wasn't sure how it would end, but I think the ending was just right. ( )
  sydsavvy | Sep 5, 2017 |
This is a good first book by an author in her 50s. It is the story of the troubled, dysfunctional Plumb family. The four siblings were left a modest inheritance by their father. He didn't mean it to be much and they couldn't get the money until the youngest was 40 years old. Over the years, the fund grew substantially and all four have need of the money. The oldest, Leo, a talented charming man addicted to drugs and alcohol who got into an accident with a 19 year old waitress. Their mother borrows a huge sum of money from the nest to pay off the lawsuit. The other three are trying to figure out how to get their money or find out how to live differently. I really liked this book.
  taurus27 | Aug 17, 2017 |
3.5 ( )
  sarahy531 | Aug 16, 2017 |
Well written but it didn't engage me and I had to make a real effort to plod through to the finish. ( )
  mic_cee | Aug 12, 2017 |
“Her writing is like really good dark chocolate: sharper and more bittersweet than the cheap stuff, but also too delicious not to finish in one sitting.”
added by HarperCollins | editEntertainment Weekly

“Hilarious and big-hearted, The Nest is a stellar debut.”
added by HarperCollins | editPeople, Book of the Week

“[S]cenes both witty and tragic... that glow with the confidence of an experienced comic writer... [Sweeney] maintains a refreshing balance of tenderness. Rather than skewering the Plumbs to death, she pokes them, as though probing to find the humanity beneath their cynical crust.”
added by HarperCollins | editWashington Post

“[A] closely observed, charming novel.”
added by HarperCollins | editO, the Oprah Magazine

“The dynamics and foibles of family take center stage here, interweaving four characters’ tumultuous journeys to paint a rich picture of domestic drama.”
added by HarperCollins | editB&N Reads, The Best New Fiction of the Month

Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeneyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Schweder-Schreiner, NicolaiÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There was always this dichotomy: what to keep up, what to change. —WILLIAM TREVOR, "THE PIANO TUNER'S WIVES"
That's how I knew this story would break my heart When you wrote it. That's how I knew this story would break my heart —AIMEE MANN, THE FORGOTTEN ARM
For my family: my parents, Roger and Theresa; my sister, Laura; and my brothers, Richard and Tony---who all love nothing more than a good story, well told.
As the rest of the guests wandered the deck of the beach club under an early-evening midsummer sky, taking pinched, appraising sips of their cocktails to gauge if the bartenders were using the top-shelf stuff and balancing tiny crab cakes on paper napkins while saying appropriate things about how they'd really lucked out with the weather because the humidity would be back tomorrow, or murmuring inappropriate things about the bride's snug satin dress, wondering if the spilling cleavage was do to bad tailoring or poor taste (a look as their own daughters might say) or an unexpected weight gain, winking and making tired jokes about exchanging toasters for diapers, Leo Plumb left his cousin's wedding with one of the waitresses.
Because the three Plumbs had agreed on the phone the previous evening that they should not drink in front of their brother Leo, they were all—unbeknownst to one another—sitting in separate bars in and around Grand Central, savoring a furtive cocktail before lunch.
Walker besefte dat hij jaren geleden stilzwijgend had toegestemd in het altijd weer subsidiëren van Jacks mislukkingen. ...Want dat deed je nu eenmaal als je van iemand hield, als je samen een leven opbouwde. Dan compenseerde je de zwakheid van de ander met jouw kracht. dan was je de betrouwbare basis van waaruit de ander kon handelen. Dan accommodeerde je de ander, dan was je mekaar ter wille. En als Walker wel eens ongeduldig werd, als hij soms wenste dat de dingen tussen hen wat meer in balans waren, stelde hij zich een leven zonder Jack voor en slikte hij zijn bezwaren in, omdat hij Jack ook niet kon missen. p 336

A wickedly smart, funny and deeply felt debut novel about four adult siblings and the fate of their long depended-upon family inheritance

On a wintry afternoon in New York City, Melody, Beatrice and Jack Plumb gather to confront their charismatic and reckless older brother, Leo, who has just been released from rehab. Leo’s bad behavior before entering rehab, culminating in a car crash while under the influence—a nineteen-year-old waitress beside him—has left the Plumbs’ joint trust fund—“The Nest,” as they’ve taken to calling it—endangered. All four siblings, at very different places in their lives, believe that this money will solve a host of self-inflicted problems and their consequences. And until Leo’s accident, they’d been mere months away from receiving it.

Can Leo get the Plumbs out of this mess, as he’s always been able to do for himself before? Or will the Plumb siblings have to do without the money and the future lives they’ve envisioned? As the siblings grapple with family tensions, old histories, and the significant emotional and financial cost of the accident, Sweeney introduces an unforgettable cast of supporting characters: Leo’s stalwart ex-girlfriend who now thinks that maybe, just maybe, he is capable of change; the waitress whose life was shattered in the accident; the Iraqi war veteran who falls in love with her; and a retired, grieving firefighter with a very big secret.

Tender, funny and deftly written, The Nest explores what money does to relationships, what happens to our ambitions over the course of our lives, and the fraught but unbreakable ties we have with our families.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 29 Aug 2015 15:54:15 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,652,965 books! | Top bar: Always visible