Holes by Louis Sachar

Holes (1998)

by Louis Sachar

Series: Holes (1)

13,859587150 (4.08)1 / 280
    Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli (Maiasaura)
    Savvy by Ingrid Law (kimby365)
    kimby365: I can't guarantee that you'll enjoy that book if you enjoyed this one, but I'd say it's a pretty safe bet.
    The Afterlife by Gary Soto (weener)
    Jo Badpenny: the comic life of a master criminal by Lookman (XRAY)

English (577)  Dutch (5)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (587)
A young boy whose family is down on funds and luck, find himself in a juvenile delinquent center for boys. When Stanley and his friend come across a favorable treasure, the leader of the camp tries to bring the boys apart. Great Novel! 5th
  Nicole129672 | Nov 19, 2014 |
After watching the movie, I purchased this for my son, hoping to find a book he would enjoy reading. I was successful, he loved this book. It has all the right stuff. Adventure, secrets, evil adults (and some good ones, too), smack talk and deep friendships.
  MrsLee | Nov 18, 2014 |
Summary: Stanley Yelnats had unfortunate events in his life happen. H was accused of a crime that he did not commit, and it lead him to Camp Green Lake, where he is to serve his time digging wholes. He first thinks that the people that he digs wholes with day in and day out are his friends, but he soon has a reality check. As the story develops you get flashbacks of Stanley s life before Camp Green Lake, and also the history behind Camp Green Lake. You soon seen the relationships of the ancestors of the current Camp Green Lake inhabitant, and also why Stanley and his family have really bad luck. Stanleys grandfather was cursed by the Madame Zeroni for not keeping his promise. Stanly was able to break that curse, because Zero his good friend from Camp Green Lake is related to Madame Zeroni. At the end of the story the characters realize who they.

Personal: I originally watched the movie, just recently when i went on vacation i read the book. The book is far better by giving you more details, and keeping you interested.

classroom:1). Ask the students what food they would eat for a week straight and why?
2) have the students do a compare and contrast over the movie and book.
3) Have everyone bring there favorite food in and put it in a mason jar and every week have them write down in a journal about how long it last.
  pambam_11 | Nov 11, 2014 |
Summary- This is a book about Stanley Yelnats who was sent to Camp Green Lake for a crime he didn't commit. His family is known for having bad luck because of some kind of curse. He end's up going to the camp and meeting new friends. Along with hardships and struggles, at the end of the movie Stanley unexpectedly finds a way to break the curse.

Personal Reaction- I first read this book in the 5th grade. I had to do a report over it and ever since then it has been one of my all time favorite books. It's no surprise that this book won a Newbery Award because this book is pure awesomeness.

Classroom extension ideas-
1) Plant onions and watch them grow
2) Group discussion- Ask the kids how they would feel if they had to eat only onions for a week.
  brittanyblakesley | Nov 10, 2014 |
Holes
Louis Sachar

I have probably read this book about ten different times since first being exposed to this book in the fifth grade. I really love this book, and Holes is probably in the top ten list of books for myself. The entire book seems completely plausible. I don't think there was a point in the book when I thought something could not have happened in real life. Stanley's situation of getting sent to the boys camp for "stealing" the shoes was something that has happened in life, someone was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Sachar was extremely descriptive in his book, which led to me being able to easily picture the story in my mind. The one thing that was really descriptive was the huge rock on top of the mountain that looked like it was god giving the thumbs up. Everything in the book was put well together. The story flowed really well and I think that was helped by the fact that the story is paced really well. Holes is not an easy read but will not take you three weeks to read it either. I would recommend this book to anyone who wanted to read a great story. Louis Sachar did a great job at putting the message in his book too, stand up for your friends. ( )
  bokeef2 | Nov 10, 2014 |
Stanley Yelnats is a young man with some teenage problems like being overweight, poor, and social outcast. His father is an inventor and his mother is a loving and supporting woman. He believes that he and his family are cursed and that life offers nothing but a bad luck to them. Interesting fact about his name is that his last name is his first name spelled backward. His family blames his “no good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather” for a family misfortune. Because of the broken promise of the great-great-grandfather, a gypsy lady doomed his family with a bad luck.
Numerous happenings led him to conclusion that something needs to be done to get rid of the bad luck. He often finds himself being at the wrong place at the wrong time. After being falsely accused of stealing a pair of snickers from a famous basketball player at an auction for homeless, Stanley picks a Green Lake Detention Camp for Boys to serve a sentence. There is nothing green nor lake like about that juvenile correction facility. The camp is run by The Warden and Mr. Sir. Those two are very brutal people who direct each kid to dig a hole each day under the blazing hot sun. The official purpose of hole digging is to build a character. A hidden purpose is to look for buried and lost treasure of outlaw, Kissing Katy Barlow.
I see Stanley growing and changing into a leader throughout the book. He lifts himself and other around him. Teaming up with “Zero” brought many new and surprising events in his life. Together they succeeded in fighting against cruelty of Warden and her team.
Many teenagers can relate to Stanley. There is a lot to learn in this book about hard work, loyalty, friendship, persistence, love, hard work and fate.
added by sla3 | edits, slapavlo

To Sherrie, Jessica, Lori, Kathleen, and Emily
And to Judy Allen, a fifth-grade teacher from whom we all can learn
There is no lake at Camp Green Lake.
If you take a bad boy and make him dig a hole everyday in the hot sun, it will turn him into a good boy.
It was all because of his no-good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather.
But everyone makes mistakes. You may have done some bad things, but that doesn't mean you're a bad kid.
His muscles and hands weren’t the only parts of his body that had toughened over the past several weeks. His heart had hardened as well.
It felt good to walk in the shade of the two oak trees. Stanley wondered if this was how a condemned man felt on his way to the electric chair – appreciating all of the good things in life for the last time.
Please distinguish between Louis Sachar's original novel Holes (1998), and other variants of the same or related material. Thank you.
Information from the Japanese Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

Stanley Yelnats is under a curse. A curse that began with his no-good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather and has since followed generations of Yelnats. Now Stanley has been unjustly sent to a boys' detention center, Camp Green Lake, where the warden makes the boys "build character" by spending all day, every day, digging holes. It doesn't take long for Stanley to realize there's more than character improvement going on at Camp Green Lake. The boys are digging holes because the warden is looking for something. Stanley tries to dig up the truth in this inventive and darkly humorous tale of crime and punishment--and redemption.

Stanley Yelnats is unjustly sent to Camp Green Lake where he and other boys are sentenced to dig holes to build character. Stanley learns the warden has them digging holes for something else- but what?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:31 -0400)

As further evidence of his family's bad fortune which they attribute to a curse on a distant relative, Stanley Yelnats is sent to a hellish correctional camp in the Texas desert where he finds his first real friend, a treasure, and a new sense of himself.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,039,343 books! | Top bar: Always visible