Holes by Louis Sachar

Holes (1998)

by Louis Sachar

Series: Holes (1)

13,781579152 (4.07)1 / 279
    Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli (Maiasaura)
    Savvy by Ingrid Law (kimby365)
    kimby365: I can't guarantee that you'll enjoy that book if you enjoyed this one, but I'd say it's a pretty safe bet.
    The Afterlife by Gary Soto (weener)
    Jo Badpenny: the comic life of a master criminal by Lookman (XRAY)

English (568)  Dutch (5)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (578)
In my opinion Holes is a great book. I really liked how this book would go back in time to tell the story of Stanley Yelnats’s family history and how the family became cursed. I also really liked the dynamic of the boys in D-tent. Even though they didn’t always get along they still remained “brothers” and would stick up for each other and they always had each other’s backs.
The big idea or main message of the story is friendship. Friendship is one of the most important aspects in one’s life. You can find a friend in the most random situations and they can usually change your life for the better. ( )
  Jillian_Magee | Oct 26, 2014 |
"Holes" is story of the very unlucky Stanley Yelnats who is sent to Camp Green Lake for a crime he didn't commit. He happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time thanks to his no-good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing great great grandfather. I really liked this story due to the progression in the main character and the flashbacks within the story.

Stanley changes dramatically from the beginning to the end. Back in school, he was picked on and bullied, so when he comes to Camp Green Lake and begins to make friends, he tries to conform and fit in. For example, when X-ray tells Stanley to give him anything he finds, Stanley decides "it was far more important that X-Ray think he was a good guy than it was for him to get the day off" p. 53. As the story progresses, he realizes that they aren't really his friends and begins to do what he feels is right regardless of what they think, such as teaching Zero to read and write. He also grows stronger physically and mentally as the story goes on. In the beginning he is overweight and passive as he follows whatever he is told to do, but by the end he is stronger and thinner, and takes courageous chances like stealing the truck to go find Zero.

Also, I really liked the flashbacks in the story. Since Stanley's bad luck comes from his great great grandfather, the story flashbacks to tell this story. At one point, the story flashes back to long ago when his great great grandfather saw Madame Zeroni in order help him win over the father of the girl he thought he loved. Madame Zeroni helps by giving him a pig and the secret to make him big and strong, but in return she asks him for a favor. Unfortunately, this favor is never returned, so the Yelnats are doomed with bad luck for the remainder of their lives. This enhances the story, because it allows the reader to get a better appreciation and understanding of the events in the story. These flashbacks reveal why the holes are being dug and how each of the characters are significant to each other. For example, Zero (Hector Zeroni) is actually related to Madame Zeroni, who caused the Yelnats decades of bad luck.

Overall, I found the "big idea" of the story was never give up. Each time Stanley's bad luck got the best of him, he didn't give up or lose hope. Instead, he remained hardworking and honest, which eventually resulted in Stanley and his family getting everything they deserved. ( )
  KendraEscalona | Oct 25, 2014 |
Holes by Louis Sachar is a book about a boy named Stanley Yelnats who goes to a juvenile delinquent camp for a crime he didn’t commit and this is all because of his no-good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing great great grandfather. Throughout the story the reader sees the adventure that happens during his stay and the friends he makes. All of this leads down to an amazing road that shows his luck might be changing soon. I loved this book! I read this book when I was younger and loved it and I decided to read it again because of this. I love this book for a number of reasons but the main two reasons are the overall story/way it was written and the characters. The story in this book is so unique. The story is about a boy named Stanley but it follows three different times in history, all of which connect to Stanley and the place he is currently at, Camp Greenlake. An example of this is seen when Elya Yelnats, Stanley’s pig stealing great great grandfather, is trying to win over his love Myra Menke. The author tells the story not from Stanley recalling it from memory but from the actual time it happened. I feel this added to the story and made it that much more interesting because you could really understand the correlation between now and then instead of just hearing the story from Stanley retelling it as well as increasing the idea of what will happen. I feel this was very unique way to write the story and an unconventional one as well and personally something I loved about it. The overall story is also an amazing one because it conveys an overall message that you can do whatever despite your circumstances even curses. This is seen throughout the whole story but mainly seen at the end where Stanley out does the yellow spotted lizards, dehydration and hunger and finds the treasure that is rightfully his. After everything bad that happened to him because of his luck he overcomes and finds happiness. The final thing I liked about this book was the character, all of them were so full of life and outrageous characters that in my opinion added to the story and made it more fun and light hearted. For example Zigzag, throughout the whole story Stanley tells us about how crazy Zigzag is and how crazy he looks. He tells us that he has crazy blonde hair and the longest neck ever. This really creates a mental picture in the readers mind and enhances the humor in the story, along with creating interest. It also created a fictional and unrealistic element to the story. ( )
  BriaCoogle | Oct 25, 2014 |
I think this was an awesome book! I loved the interactions between the characters such as Stanley and Zero, and I also like how even though we don't see much of their interactions with their families, that it still plays a big influence on how their characters became who they are (for instance, Zero doesn't know of his mothers whereabouts but we still see how close of a relationship he had with her and how it adds to his character). I like the plot, and the suspense that it builds throughout, waiting to find out what they're digging for, and if they'll ever find it, and where it will lead when they do... The big picture of Holes is friendship, and fate. ( )
  jknuts1 | Oct 23, 2014 |
I loved this book as a kid! I think it's a great read for boys and girls. It's definitely a book that boys can get into. I like that there are a lot of characters, too. This is a realistic fiction book.
  LaurenValencour | Oct 22, 2014 |
Stanley Yelnats is a young man with some teenage problems like being overweight, poor, and social outcast. His father is an inventor and his mother is a loving and supporting woman. He believes that he and his family are cursed and that life offers nothing but a bad luck to them. Interesting fact about his name is that his last name is his first name spelled backward. His family blames his “no good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather” for a family misfortune. Because of the broken promise of the great-great-grandfather, a gypsy lady doomed his family with a bad luck.
Numerous happenings led him to conclusion that something needs to be done to get rid of the bad luck. He often finds himself being at the wrong place at the wrong time. After being falsely accused of stealing a pair of snickers from a famous basketball player at an auction for homeless, Stanley picks a Green Lake Detention Camp for Boys to serve a sentence. There is nothing green nor lake like about that juvenile correction facility. The camp is run by The Warden and Mr. Sir. Those two are very brutal people who direct each kid to dig a hole each day under the blazing hot sun. The official purpose of hole digging is to build a character. A hidden purpose is to look for buried and lost treasure of outlaw, Kissing Katy Barlow.
I see Stanley growing and changing into a leader throughout the book. He lifts himself and other around him. Teaming up with “Zero” brought many new and surprising events in his life. Together they succeeded in fighting against cruelty of Warden and her team.
Many teenagers can relate to Stanley. There is a lot to learn in this book about hard work, loyalty, friendship, persistence, love, hard work and fate.
added by sla3 | edits, slapavlo

To Sherrie, Jessica, Lori, Kathleen, and Emily
And to Judy Allen, a fifth-grade teacher from whom we all can learn
There is no lake at Camp Green Lake.
If you take a bad boy and make him dig a hole everyday in the hot sun, it will turn him into a good boy.
It was all because of his no-good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather.
But everyone makes mistakes. You may have done some bad things, but that doesn't mean you're a bad kid.
His muscles and hands weren’t the only parts of his body that had toughened over the past several weeks. His heart had hardened as well.
It felt good to walk in the shade of the two oak trees. Stanley wondered if this was how a condemned man felt on his way to the electric chair – appreciating all of the good things in life for the last time.
Please distinguish between Louis Sachar's original novel Holes (1998), and other variants of the same or related material. Thank you.
Information from the Japanese Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

Stanley Yelnats is under a curse. A curse that began with his no-good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather and has since followed generations of Yelnats. Now Stanley has been unjustly sent to a boys' detention center, Camp Green Lake, where the warden makes the boys "build character" by spending all day, every day, digging holes. It doesn't take long for Stanley to realize there's more than character improvement going on at Camp Green Lake. The boys are digging holes because the warden is looking for something. Stanley tries to dig up the truth in this inventive and darkly humorous tale of crime and punishment--and redemption.

Stanley Yelnats is unjustly sent to Camp Green Lake where he and other boys are sentenced to dig holes to build character. Stanley learns the warden has them digging holes for something else- but what?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:31 -0400)

As further evidence of his family's bad fortune which they attribute to a curse on a distant relative, Stanley Yelnats is sent to a hellish correctional camp in the Texas desert where he finds his first real friend, a treasure, and a new sense of himself.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,487,986 books! | Top bar: Always visible