dismiss

Holes (1998)

by Louis Sachar

Series: Holes (1)

19,011886146 (4.07)1 / 344
As further evidence of his family's bad fortune which they attribute to a curse on a distant relative, Stanley Yelnats is sent to a hellish correctional camp in the Texas desert where he finds his first real friend, a treasure, and a new sense of himself.
    Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli (Maiasaura, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: With tall-tale elements, quirky characters and serious themes such as racism, these poignant and humorous novels with fully-realized settings are about brave boys who make a big difference in the lives of those around them.
    Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: With offbeat characters and distinctive settings, these well-paced, affecting and funny novels are about compassionate boys: Moose, caring for his autistic sister on Alcatraz Island (Al Capone); Stanley, who escapes from a juvenile detention camp to help another inmate (Holes).… (more)
    Saving Lucas Biggs by Marisa de los Santos (cransell)
    Hidden Talents by David Lubar (Runa)
    Runa: Misfit kids bond after being sent away from home to a reform program.
    The Afterlife by Gary Soto (weener)
    Savvy by Ingrid Law (kimby365)
    kimby365: I can't guarantee that you'll enjoy that book if you enjoyed this one, but I'd say it's a pretty safe bet.
    Jo Badpenny: the comic life of a master criminal by Lookman (XRAY)

English (871)  Dutch (6)  German (2)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (884)
This is another of those books that a lot of people studied at school, but not me. It was recently really cheap in the Kindle Store so I grabbed it. It turned out to be a really nice little book, although I'm not sure there was much about it to study at school (so probably a good thing I didn't read it there, or I would've ended up hating it).

The novel has a couple of different threads – one following the protagonist, Stanley Yelnats, at the hellish Green Lake Camp; another following his family history; and a third that really ties in with the second one that follows the decline of the long-gone town that the camp stands on the site of. The three threads all tie together nicely at the end, and the character of Zero really tugged on my heart strings.

This is yet another of those books that really deserves three and a half. It's a lovely children's book, but it wasn't as meaningful to me as an adult as it might've been if I'd read it when I was younger (without studying it at school). So, three it is. But I still really recommend it. ( )
  Jayeless | May 27, 2020 |
By the end of the book, I liked it. It had to grow on me, however. At the beginning of the book I didn't care much about any of the characters. Not one I'll need to re-read, but now that I've read it I'm glad I did. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | May 18, 2020 |
ugh. why was this so popular. a book about digging holes. what a bore. i thought, maybe you shouldn't judge the book by its cover and title? well, i should have because it told me all i needed to know. ( )
  locriian | May 4, 2020 |
This book is a fun read for middle school aged kids. I give it 3/5 stars because while it wasn't my personal favorite, I have known many kids to love this book. It is a great independent read book or a book study. ( )
  NJecmenek | Apr 7, 2020 |
For a kids' book, this was an amazing read for me as an adult too. It's quite a small book and can be read within a day.

The humor was right on point. Giving nicknames to each other, especially calling the counselor "mom" killed me every single time.

The kids are so adorable. They made me remember of the kids in Stranger Things (S01) which I binged TWICE in a single week!

I didn't previously know that this is the first part of a series; however, I don't know if I'll read the following parts or not. ( )
  Govindap11 | Mar 21, 2020 |
To Sherrie, Jessica, Lori, Kathleen, and Emily
And to Judy Allen, a fifth-grade teacher from whom we all can learn
There is no lake at Camp Green Lake.
If you take a bad boy and make him dig a hole everyday in the hot sun, it will turn him into a good boy.
It was all because of his no-good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather.
But everyone makes mistakes. You may have done some bad things, but that doesn't mean you're a bad kid.
His muscles and hands weren’t the only parts of his body that had toughened over the past several weeks. His heart had hardened as well.
It felt good to walk in the shade of the two oak trees. Stanley wondered if this was how a condemned man felt on his way to the electric chair – appreciating all of the good things in life for the last time.
Please distinguish between Louis Sachar's original novel Holes (1998), and other variants of the same or related material. Thank you.

Stanley Yelnats is under a curse. A curse that began with his no-good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather and has since followed generations of Yelnats. Now Stanley has been unjustly sent to a boys' detention center, Camp Green Lake, where the warden makes the boys "build character" by spending all day, every day, digging holes. It doesn't take long for Stanley to realize there's more than character improvement going on at Camp Green Lake. The boys are digging holes because the warden is looking for something. Stanley tries to dig up the truth in this inventive and darkly humorous tale of crime and punishment--and redemption.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,873,740 books! | Top bar: Always visible