Holes by Louis Sachar

Holes (1998)

by Louis Sachar

Series: Holes (1)

15,541739118 (4.07)1 / 310
    Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: With offbeat characters and distinctive settings, these well-paced, affecting and funny novels are about compassionate boys: Moose, caring for his autistic sister on Alcatraz Island (Al Capone); Stanley, who escapes from a juvenile detention camp to help another inmate (Holes).… (more)
    Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli (Maiasaura, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: With tall-tale elements, quirky characters and serious themes such as racism, these poignant and humorous novels with fully-realized settings are about brave boys who make a big difference in the lives of those around them.
    Hidden Talents by David Lubar (Runa)
    Runa: Misfit kids bond after being sent away from home to a reform program.
    Saving Lucas Biggs by Marisa de los Santos (cransell)
    The Afterlife by Gary Soto (weener)
    Savvy by Ingrid Law (kimby365)
    kimby365: I can't guarantee that you'll enjoy that book if you enjoyed this one, but I'd say it's a pretty safe bet.
    Jo Badpenny: the comic life of a master criminal by Lookman (XRAY)

English (726)  Dutch (5)  Spanish (2)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (738)
GR: V
GL: 4.6
DRA: 50
Lexile: 660L
  Infinityand1 | Aug 2, 2016 |
This is my go-to book for reluctant readers. I love how Sachar's two storylines, past and present connect. Great character development. Just a fun read! ( )
  JLT70 | Jul 24, 2016 |
Summary: stanley yelnates family is cursed when his oldest decendant won't carry the old gypsy up the mountain to drink anymore and the whole land dries up without rain. When the youngest goes to the camp for crime, he digs holes everywhere to find kissing Kate's treasure. When the gypsys grandson is carried by Stanley up the mountain to save him the curse is broke.

Reflect: haven't read this since middle school and it was definitely different this time around since I actually sat down to read it. Still remember having it read to me in middle school by my teacher Ms. Neal

Extension: I would love to read this during western days and give a country feel to the kids in the past, hopefully teach them to follow through with their word ( )
  William.Rowell | Jul 24, 2016 |
Holes is a story about Stanley Yelnats and his family curse of bad luck. This bad luck curse leads Stanley into trouble but also puts him in a position to make the family's luck turn for the better. Stanley and his friend Hector form a friendship that indeed turns the Yelnats and Zeroni family luck around for good.

I loved this book. I had seen the movie, and was greatly surprised when reading how well the book and the movie matched, but reading the book brought me even deeper into the personal thoughts of the characters and the destinies that brought them together.

This book is great for class. In younger children it can teach the importance of friendship and always keeping your promises. Older children could use this book as a prompt for a writing assignment where they tell the story of their greatest friendships and the way those friendships have bettered their life. ( )
  erinowens217 | Jul 24, 2016 |
Summary
The books is about a boy named Stanley Yelnats who got sent to a disciplinary camp. In this camp, the camper is required to dig a hole that is five foot deep everyday. This is the punishment and also they say it builds character. Little that they knew, there was an actual purpose of digging those wholes.

Reaction
I could relate to this book because I did have a job that required to dig holes all day; it was in landscaping. There was some truth in digging holes builds character. It allowed me to think about my future, and learned what hard labor was. After thinking about my future, I decided that i didn't want to do hard manual labor for the rest of my life.

Extension
Children should read this book so they can relate with the characters. If they act up, and don't want to learn, tell them they would have to do hard manual labor. Show them that they have it easy while others would have to slave away at their jobs. ( )
  chywatt | Jul 19, 2016 |
Stanley Yelnats is a young man with some teenage problems like being overweight, poor, and social outcast. His father is an inventor and his mother is a loving and supporting woman. He believes that he and his family are cursed and that life offers nothing but a bad luck to them. Interesting fact about his name is that his last name is his first name spelled backward. His family blames his “no good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather” for a family misfortune. Because of the broken promise of the great-great-grandfather, a gypsy lady doomed his family with a bad luck.
Numerous happenings led him to conclusion that something needs to be done to get rid of the bad luck. He often finds himself being at the wrong place at the wrong time. After being falsely accused of stealing a pair of snickers from a famous basketball player at an auction for homeless, Stanley picks a Green Lake Detention Camp for Boys to serve a sentence. There is nothing green nor lake like about that juvenile correction facility. The camp is run by The Warden and Mr. Sir. Those two are very brutal people who direct each kid to dig a hole each day under the blazing hot sun. The official purpose of hole digging is to build a character. A hidden purpose is to look for buried and lost treasure of outlaw, Kissing Katy Barlow.
I see Stanley growing and changing into a leader throughout the book. He lifts himself and other around him. Teaming up with “Zero” brought many new and surprising events in his life. Together they succeeded in fighting against cruelty of Warden and her team.
Many teenagers can relate to Stanley. There is a lot to learn in this book about hard work, loyalty, friendship, persistence, love, hard work and fate.
added by sla3 | edits, slapavlo

To Sherrie, Jessica, Lori, Kathleen, and Emily
And to Judy Allen, a fifth-grade teacher from whom we all can learn
There is no lake at Camp Green Lake.
If you take a bad boy and make him dig a hole everyday in the hot sun, it will turn him into a good boy.
It was all because of his no-good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather.
But everyone makes mistakes. You may have done some bad things, but that doesn't mean you're a bad kid.
His muscles and hands weren’t the only parts of his body that had toughened over the past several weeks. His heart had hardened as well.
It felt good to walk in the shade of the two oak trees. Stanley wondered if this was how a condemned man felt on his way to the electric chair – appreciating all of the good things in life for the last time.
Please distinguish between Louis Sachar's original novel Holes (1998), and other variants of the same or related material. Thank you.
Stanley Yelnats is under a curse. A curse that began with his no-good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather and has since followed generations of Yelnats. Now Stanley has been unjustly sent to a boys' detention center, Camp Green Lake, where the warden makes the boys "build character" by spending all day, every day, digging holes. It doesn't take long for Stanley to realize there's more than character improvement going on at Camp Green Lake. The boys are digging holes because the warden is looking for something. Stanley tries to dig up the truth in this inventive and darkly humorous tale of crime and punishment--and redemption.

Stanley Yelnats is unjustly sent to Camp Green Lake where he and other boys are sentenced to dig holes to build character. Stanley learns the warden has them digging holes for something else- but what?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:29 -0400)

As further evidence of his family's bad fortune which they attribute to a curse on a distant relative, Stanley Yelnats is sent to a hellish correctional camp in the Texas desert where he finds his first real friend, a treasure, and a new sense of himself.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,479,154 books! | Top bar: Always visible