Holes by Louis Sachar

Holes (1998)

by Louis Sachar

14,033616148 (4.07)1 / 286
    Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli (Maiasaura)
    Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: With offbeat characters and distinctive settings, these well-paced, affecting and funny novels are about compassionate boys: Moose, caring for his autistic sister on Alcatraz Island (Al Capone); Stanley, who escapes from a juvenile detention camp to help another inmate (Holes).… (more)
    The Afterlife by Gary Soto (weener)
    Savvy by Ingrid Law (kimby365)
    kimby365: I can't guarantee that you'll enjoy that book if you enjoyed this one, but I'd say it's a pretty safe bet.
    Jo Badpenny: the comic life of a master criminal by Lookman (XRAY)

English (605)  Dutch (5)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (615)
As a younger child, I absolutely loved the novel Holes by Louis Sachar. So, reading this book again as an adult is no different. I still love this story for many reasons. I thought that the characters were believable and well developed. My favorite character Zero, is initially described as having “nothing in his head” (pg. 19). However, as the story progresses the audience finds out that although Zero doesn’t know how to read, he is extremely good at math, and is very perceptive. In the end, Zero finally defends himself against the cruel Mr. Pendanski by smashing his shovel in his face. Not only does Zero learn to read, but also we see his character change from being seen as unintelligent and quiet to just introverted and very smart. I also believe that the main theme of fate and friendship really enhances the story, and makes it relatable for the readers. Even though Stanley is described to be unlucky, it’s a twist of fate at the end when the suitcase has Stanley Yelnats full name on it. The reunification of the Zeroni’s and the Yelnats is directly related to fate and friendship. Zero was the one who stole the Clyde Levingston sneakers and threw them on a parked car, which eventually fell on Stanley Yelnats, who was convicted for stealing the Clyde Levingston sneakers. These events lead the boys to Cam Green Lake, where they eventually become friends and bring their families together again. This book is so rich with themes, and symbolism that I believe this story is perfect for young adults. ( )
  ShakelaWilliams | Mar 24, 2015 |
I thought that this was a great book for several reasons. It had an interesting message, in which the main character, Stanley Yelnats, reached his destiny. I really liked the descriptive writing because it helped to paint a picture in my head since this is a chapter book without illustrations. For instance, page 11 described Camp Greenlake as “barren and desolate….Those two trees were the only plant life he could see,” which gave me a clear picture of a dessert. I also liked the plot of the story and logical series of events. The author didn’t immediately explain the crime Stanley committed that got him into the camp, but later the pieces tie together and the reader learns that Stanley’s fate must all be because of his curse that was brought by his great-great grandfather. Therefore, the series of events make sense which makes the book enjoyable and very entertaining to read. ( )
  akoches | Mar 23, 2015 |
My only regret with this book is that I never read it sooner! I watched the movie years ago, and loved it, and also loved comparing and contrasting between the book. I felt very emotionally connected with the characters while reading, especially Stanley and Zero. They both seem to have been either falsely accused of crimes, and also being misunderstood. I felt anger when reading how horrible the warden treated all of the boys, but was then happy once the boys rebelled by doing things like stealing their truck and running away. This book had a lot of adventure, which kept me motivated to keep reading. Although there were some sad parts to the story, I knew there would be a happy ending since the characters were all good people and did the right things to keep themselves out of trouble. The message of this book is to stick up for yourself and others when you feel is right because the results are always appropriate for the situation. All the boys who were mistreated, were given an opportunity to make things right. For Stanley, he was proven innocent, and was compensated for the time he spent at the harsh camp. This book taught me about the importance of friendships and holding your ground when necessary, which is why I would recommend this book to any one looking to read an inspirational and uplifting, yet exciting, story! ( )
  Milina_Moreno | Mar 13, 2015 |
This realistic tale expresses how digging holes in a correctional facility to benefit the warden pays off for the boys. This is a great tale about hardwork, wit, and friendship.
  harleybrenton | Mar 12, 2015 |
This book is full of suspense and events, which gives for an easy read and keeps readers wanting to read more. The descriptions of the places and events allows the readers to actually picture it in their head. I also like that this book is relate-able to many readers who have been punished for something they didn't do.
  bmille16 | Mar 5, 2015 |
Stanley Yelnats is a young man with some teenage problems like being overweight, poor, and social outcast. His father is an inventor and his mother is a loving and supporting woman. He believes that he and his family are cursed and that life offers nothing but a bad luck to them. Interesting fact about his name is that his last name is his first name spelled backward. His family blames his “no good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather” for a family misfortune. Because of the broken promise of the great-great-grandfather, a gypsy lady doomed his family with a bad luck.
Numerous happenings led him to conclusion that something needs to be done to get rid of the bad luck. He often finds himself being at the wrong place at the wrong time. After being falsely accused of stealing a pair of snickers from a famous basketball player at an auction for homeless, Stanley picks a Green Lake Detention Camp for Boys to serve a sentence. There is nothing green nor lake like about that juvenile correction facility. The camp is run by The Warden and Mr. Sir. Those two are very brutal people who direct each kid to dig a hole each day under the blazing hot sun. The official purpose of hole digging is to build a character. A hidden purpose is to look for buried and lost treasure of outlaw, Kissing Katy Barlow.
I see Stanley growing and changing into a leader throughout the book. He lifts himself and other around him. Teaming up with “Zero” brought many new and surprising events in his life. Together they succeeded in fighting against cruelty of Warden and her team.
Many teenagers can relate to Stanley. There is a lot to learn in this book about hard work, loyalty, friendship, persistence, love, hard work and fate.
added by sla3 | edits, slapavlo

To Sherrie, Jessica, Lori, Kathleen, and Emily
And to Judy Allen, a fifth-grade teacher from whom we all can learn
There is no lake at Camp Green Lake.
If you take a bad boy and make him dig a hole everyday in the hot sun, it will turn him into a good boy.
It was all because of his no-good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather.
But everyone makes mistakes. You may have done some bad things, but that doesn't mean you're a bad kid.
His muscles and hands weren’t the only parts of his body that had toughened over the past several weeks. His heart had hardened as well.
It felt good to walk in the shade of the two oak trees. Stanley wondered if this was how a condemned man felt on his way to the electric chair – appreciating all of the good things in life for the last time.
Please distinguish between Louis Sachar's original novel Holes (1998), and other variants of the same or related material. Thank you.

Stanley Yelnats is under a curse. A curse that began with his no-good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather and has since followed generations of Yelnats. Now Stanley has been unjustly sent to a boys' detention center, Camp Green Lake, where the warden makes the boys "build character" by spending all day, every day, digging holes. It doesn't take long for Stanley to realize there's more than character improvement going on at Camp Green Lake. The boys are digging holes because the warden is looking for something. Stanley tries to dig up the truth in this inventive and darkly humorous tale of crime and punishment--and redemption.

Stanley Yelnats is unjustly sent to Camp Green Lake where he and other boys are sentenced to dig holes to build character. Stanley learns the warden has them digging holes for something else- but what?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:31 -0400)

As further evidence of his family's bad fortune which they attribute to a curse on a distant relative, Stanley Yelnats is sent to a hellish correctional camp in the Texas desert where he finds his first real friend, a treasure, and a new sense of himself.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,265,969 books! | Top bar: Always visible