Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Löcher. Die Geheimnisse von Green Lake. by…

Löcher. Die Geheimnisse von Green Lake. (original 1998; edition 2003)

by Louis Sachar, Louis Sachar (Author), Birgitt Kollmann (Übersetzer)

Series: Holes (1)

17,790854145 (4.06)1 / 336
Member:timoheuer
Title:Löcher. Die Geheimnisse von Green Lake.
Authors:Louis Sachar
Other authors:Louis Sachar (Author), Birgitt Kollmann (Übersetzer)
Info:Beltz Verlag (2003), Edition: Neuauflage, Taschenbuch, 296 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:englische literatur, amerikanische literatur, schullektüre, jugendbuch, jugendliteratur

Holes by Louis Sachar (1998)

Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: With offbeat characters and distinctive settings, these well-paced, affecting and funny novels are about compassionate boys: Moose, caring for his autistic sister on Alcatraz Island (Al Capone); Stanley, who escapes from a juvenile detention camp to help another inmate (Holes).… (more)
    Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli (Maiasaura, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: With tall-tale elements, quirky characters and serious themes such as racism, these poignant and humorous novels with fully-realized settings are about brave boys who make a big difference in the lives of those around them.
    Hidden Talents by David Lubar (Runa)
    Runa: Misfit kids bond after being sent away from home to a reform program.
    Saving Lucas Biggs by Marisa de los Santos (cransell)
    The Afterlife by Gary Soto (weener)
    Savvy by Ingrid Law (kimby365)
    kimby365: I can't guarantee that you'll enjoy that book if you enjoyed this one, but I'd say it's a pretty safe bet.
    Jo Badpenny: the comic life of a master criminal by Lookman (XRAY)

English (839)  Dutch (6)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (853)
I always loved the movie and that is why I picked up the book to read. In surprise the movie is actually pretty close to the book. Of course there's a little more details on the book.
Anyways this book is great! ( )
  StarKnits | Feb 6, 2019 |
I love this book. Whilst only the second time of reading (the first when it was first published) I devoured it like it was the first time. Stanley is a good kid in a tough situation, and his desire to help and to stop a wrong (so to speak) is compulsive reading. Never seen the film thankfully, as I think it may detract from this well written novel. ( )
  peelap | Feb 3, 2019 |
Read it for school. I had already read it in Swedish, but I really liked it so I didn't mind reading it again. ( )
  litetmonster | Jan 25, 2019 |
I last read this book 20 years ago, and guess what? It's still pretty good!

Holes is a hard book to classify. It's part historical fiction, part magical realism, part contemporary, and part adventure. It has romance, family, friendship, and villains. It's written for middle grade readers, but I would absolutely argue that the story can be enjoyed by any age. I just... I like it, okay? I know that it's meant for people about twenty years younger than me, but it's still a good book.

There are a couple places where this book hasn't aged well. Okay, no, not really. There are four words in this book that propagate racial stereotypes that, if the book had been published today, wouldn't be in it. In the same breath, Louis Sachar calls out racism in America's history and highlights diversity today. Every other word is perfect. It's not as good of a commentary as Small Steps, but it's a really good story.

The characters are diverse and layered, the story is well-paced and carefully threaded together. You can even be a little sympathetic with the villains. It's a book intended for kids that adults can enjoy. If you were forced to read it in school and had One of Those Teachers who likes to analyze books to pieces ("Why did the author choose onions for Sam's wares?" "Examine the use of shadows in Part 2.") then I STRONGLY recommend taking a step back and re-reading it for enjoyment. I was lucky enough that my fourth grade teacher assigned Sachar with minimal discussion, but I know how some schools can be.... It's really a great book, and something that can be enjoyed at any age. A modern MG classic. ( )
  Morteana | Jan 14, 2019 |
First re-read since my “boys” were little. Loved it again! ( )
  joyblue | Jan 3, 2019 |
To Sherrie, Jessica, Lori, Kathleen, and Emily
And to Judy Allen, a fifth-grade teacher from whom we all can learn
There is no lake at Camp Green Lake.
If you take a bad boy and make him dig a hole everyday in the hot sun, it will turn him into a good boy.
It was all because of his no-good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather.
But everyone makes mistakes. You may have done some bad things, but that doesn't mean you're a bad kid.
His muscles and hands weren’t the only parts of his body that had toughened over the past several weeks. His heart had hardened as well.
It felt good to walk in the shade of the two oak trees. Stanley wondered if this was how a condemned man felt on his way to the electric chair – appreciating all of the good things in life for the last time.
Please distinguish between Louis Sachar's original novel Holes (1998), and other variants of the same or related material. Thank you.
Stanley Yelnats is under a curse. A curse that began with his no-good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather and has since followed generations of Yelnats. Now Stanley has been unjustly sent to a boys' detention center, Camp Green Lake, where the warden makes the boys "build character" by spending all day, every day, digging holes. It doesn't take long for Stanley to realize there's more than character improvement going on at Camp Green Lake. The boys are digging holes because the warden is looking for something. Stanley tries to dig up the truth in this inventive and darkly humorous tale of crime and punishment--and redemption.

Stanley Yelnats is unjustly sent to Camp Green Lake where he and other boys are sentenced to dig holes to build character. Stanley learns the warden has them digging holes for something else- but what?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:29 -0400)

As further evidence of his family's bad fortune which they attribute to a curse on a distant relative, Stanley Yelnats is sent to a hellish correctional camp in the Texas desert where he finds his first real friend, a treasure, and a new sense of himself.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,452,835 books! | Top bar: Always visible