Löcher. Die Geheimnisse von Green Lake. by…

Löcher. Die Geheimnisse von Green Lake. (original 1998; edition 2003)

by Louis Sachar, Louis Sachar (Author), Birgitt Kollmann (Übersetzer)

Series: Holes (1)

17,391842100 (4.07)1 / 334
Member:timoheuer
Title:Löcher. Die Geheimnisse von Green Lake.
Authors:Louis Sachar
Other authors:Louis Sachar (Author), Birgitt Kollmann (Übersetzer)
Info:Beltz Verlag (2003), Edition: Neuauflage, Taschenbuch, 296 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:englische literatur, amerikanische literatur, schullektüre, jugendbuch, jugendliteratur

Holes by Louis Sachar (1998)

Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: With offbeat characters and distinctive settings, these well-paced, affecting and funny novels are about compassionate boys: Moose, caring for his autistic sister on Alcatraz Island (Al Capone); Stanley, who escapes from a juvenile detention camp to help another inmate (Holes).… (more)
    Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli (Maiasaura, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: With tall-tale elements, quirky characters and serious themes such as racism, these poignant and humorous novels with fully-realized settings are about brave boys who make a big difference in the lives of those around them.
    Hidden Talents by David Lubar (Runa)
    Runa: Misfit kids bond after being sent away from home to a reform program.
    Saving Lucas Biggs by Marisa de los Santos (cransell)
    The Afterlife by Gary Soto (weener)
    Savvy by Ingrid Law (kimby365)
    kimby365: I can't guarantee that you'll enjoy that book if you enjoyed this one, but I'd say it's a pretty safe bet.
    Jo Badpenny: the comic life of a master criminal by Lookman (XRAY)

English (828)  Dutch (6)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  French (1)  All (841)
This book is about a boy named Stanley Yelnats who is under a curse. A curse that started with his great-great-grandfather and has been passed down from generation to generation in Yelnat history. Now Stanley got sent to Camp Green Lake to learn how to fix their attitudes. How do they do this? By digging holes day after day. Five feet wide and five feet deep. Stanley eventually finds out that the warden is having the boys dig holes every day because he is looking for something valuable. Stanley then tries to investigate on what exactly the warden is trying to look for and why.
This book had some humor, was thrilling, and was crimeful. I admired how the author of this book kept everything so interesting throughout the book. In my opinion, this book is better than the movie (isn't it always though). This book was just so great and I'm looking forward to convincing my brother to read it soon! ( )
  Hannah.b3 | May 31, 2018 |
This is a story where I enjoyed both the book and the movie. When I was younger, I remember watching the movie adaption over and over again each time it would come on the television. At the time, I had no idea it was based on a book. When I found out, I immediately picked it up and dived right in. I enjoyed myself immensely. The book is filled with a clever plot and enough humor to match. Overall, I give it 3.5 stars! ( )
  spellbindingstories | May 24, 2018 |
I loved the ending and the beginning - it was very interesting. My opinion on this book would be 4 out of 5 stars. I liked the book a lot because every time I finished a chapter, I wanted to read another one. The reason I wouldn't give it a 5 star rating is because of the length of the book. For example, in the middle of the book when Stanley was trying to find Zero in the dessert, it took two chapters for him to see a bump in the distance (the boat that Zero was hiding in).
Stanley Yelnats has found himself at Camp Green Lake as punishment for stealing some sneakers. At the camp, he meets some other boys his age, like a kid named Zero. Together they dig holes for the Warden. Stanley figures out how to overcome his family's bad luck and Zero learns that he's anything but stupid, which is how he's usually been described. One day Zero Runs away from camp and Stanley goes after him. He finds Zero under a boat after two days of looking for him. They climbed up a mountain and surprisingly broke Stanley's curse. ( )
  IsabelaW.g1 | May 14, 2018 |
Stanley Yelnats and his family is cursed; one day, Stanley is falsely accused of stealing a pair of shoes. As punishment, Stanley is sent to a juvenile detention camp, where he is required to dig holes and reflect on his wrong doings. Many years before, there was a chest of treasure hidden by Stanley and Hector Zeroni's great-great grandparents. After running away from the cruelty of the camp, both Stanley and Hector (Stanley's friend) return to camp and find the long lost treasure that the warden of the camp was searching for, breaking Stanley's family curse. Stanley's lawyer shows up to prove Stanley's innocence, and both Hector and Stanley leave camp. This book connects to history instruction by focusing on the civil rights movement and the Jim Crow Laws. Specifically, the section of the book when the curse is introduced relates to interracial relationships. Due to the book's structure and underlying characteristic of equality, the intended audience is likely 3rd and 7th graders. Personally, I enjoyed this book because it was more detailed than the movie, which I saw growing up as a child. ( )
  K.Luna | Apr 29, 2018 |
Holes is about a boy, Stanley Yelnats, who finds himself trouble and accused of stealing a pair of shoes. Stanley is punished for the crime and has the choice to spend time in a juvenile delinquent center or go to a juvenile detention camp. He ends up picking the choice to go to the detention camp where he ends up discovering that his "punishment" is to dig holes. Everyday the rest of the kids at the camp spend the entire day digging holes. Many years before, there was a chest of treasure hidden by Stanley and Hector Zeroni's great-great grandparents. After running away from the camp, both Stanley and Hector return home to find the long lost treasure that the warden of the camp seems to be searching for. They end up finding it but the warden really wants the treasure but Stanley's lawyer shows up to let them know that he was proven innocent and can leave the camp with the chest. The story ends with both Stanley and Zero leaving the camp and being able to continue living their lives. After reading this story, I feel that I would be able to use this book to lead into studying the civil rights movement and the Jim Crow Laws. ( )
  Tanyka | Apr 26, 2018 |
Stanley Yelnats is a young man with some teenage problems like being overweight, poor, and social outcast. His father is an inventor and his mother is a loving and supporting woman. He believes that he and his family are cursed and that life offers nothing but a bad luck to them. Interesting fact about his name is that his last name is his first name spelled backward. His family blames his “no good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather” for a family misfortune. Because of the broken promise of the great-great-grandfather, a gypsy lady doomed his family with a bad luck.
Numerous happenings led him to conclusion that something needs to be done to get rid of the bad luck. He often finds himself being at the wrong place at the wrong time. After being falsely accused of stealing a pair of snickers from a famous basketball player at an auction for homeless, Stanley picks a Green Lake Detention Camp for Boys to serve a sentence. There is nothing green nor lake like about that juvenile correction facility. The camp is run by The Warden and Mr. Sir. Those two are very brutal people who direct each kid to dig a hole each day under the blazing hot sun. The official purpose of hole digging is to build a character. A hidden purpose is to look for buried and lost treasure of outlaw, Kissing Katy Barlow.
I see Stanley growing and changing into a leader throughout the book. He lifts himself and other around him. Teaming up with “Zero” brought many new and surprising events in his life. Together they succeeded in fighting against cruelty of Warden and her team.
Many teenagers can relate to Stanley. There is a lot to learn in this book about hard work, loyalty, friendship, persistence, love, hard work and fate.
added by sla3 | edits, slapavlo

To Sherrie, Jessica, Lori, Kathleen, and Emily
And to Judy Allen, a fifth-grade teacher from whom we all can learn
There is no lake at Camp Green Lake.
If you take a bad boy and make him dig a hole everyday in the hot sun, it will turn him into a good boy.
It was all because of his no-good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather.
But everyone makes mistakes. You may have done some bad things, but that doesn't mean you're a bad kid.
His muscles and hands weren’t the only parts of his body that had toughened over the past several weeks. His heart had hardened as well.
It felt good to walk in the shade of the two oak trees. Stanley wondered if this was how a condemned man felt on his way to the electric chair – appreciating all of the good things in life for the last time.
Please distinguish between Louis Sachar's original novel Holes (1998), and other variants of the same or related material. Thank you.
Stanley Yelnats is under a curse. A curse that began with his no-good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather and has since followed generations of Yelnats. Now Stanley has been unjustly sent to a boys' detention center, Camp Green Lake, where the warden makes the boys "build character" by spending all day, every day, digging holes. It doesn't take long for Stanley to realize there's more than character improvement going on at Camp Green Lake. The boys are digging holes because the warden is looking for something. Stanley tries to dig up the truth in this inventive and darkly humorous tale of crime and punishment--and redemption.

Stanley Yelnats is unjustly sent to Camp Green Lake where he and other boys are sentenced to dig holes to build character. Stanley learns the warden has them digging holes for something else- but what?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:29 -0400)

As further evidence of his family's bad fortune which they attribute to a curse on a distant relative, Stanley Yelnats is sent to a hellish correctional camp in the Texas desert where he finds his first real friend, a treasure, and a new sense of himself.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,463,409 books! | Top bar: Always visible