Holes (A Yearling Book) by Louis Sachar

Holes (A Yearling Book) (original 1998; edition 2000)

by Louis Sachar, Vladimir Radunsky (Illustrator), Bagram Ibatoulline (Illustrator), Louis Sachar (Author)

Series: Holes (1)

16,021778111 (4.07)1 / 321
Member:itzeliovana
Title:Holes (A Yearling Book)
Authors:Louis Sachar
Other authors:Vladimir Radunsky (Illustrator), Bagram Ibatoulline (Illustrator), Louis Sachar (Author)
Info:Dell Yearling (2000), Paperback, 272 pages
Collections:Adolescent, Chapter Books
Rating:**

Holes by Louis Sachar (1998)

Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: With offbeat characters and distinctive settings, these well-paced, affecting and funny novels are about compassionate boys: Moose, caring for his autistic sister on Alcatraz Island (Al Capone); Stanley, who escapes from a juvenile detention camp to help another inmate (Holes).… (more)
    Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli (Maiasaura, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: With tall-tale elements, quirky characters and serious themes such as racism, these poignant and humorous novels with fully-realized settings are about brave boys who make a big difference in the lives of those around them.
    Hidden Talents by David Lubar (Runa)
    Runa: Misfit kids bond after being sent away from home to a reform program.
    Saving Lucas Biggs by Marisa de los Santos (cransell)
    The Afterlife by Gary Soto (weener)
    Savvy by Ingrid Law (kimby365)
    kimby365: I can't guarantee that you'll enjoy that book if you enjoyed this one, but I'd say it's a pretty safe bet.
    Jo Badpenny: the comic life of a master criminal by Lookman (XRAY)

English (763)  Dutch (6)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  French (1)  All (776)
The story "Holes" is about a boy named Stanley, who is sent to a juvenile detention camp for a crime that he did not commit. In this camp, Stanley is forced to dig holes all day long for a reason they are unsure of. As Stanley begins to meet friends, like Zero, he learns that the warden is making them dig to find a treasure. One day, Stanley and Zero find this treasure in a suitcase with his name on it. The warden tries to seize the treasure from Stanley, but is stopped when Stanley's lawyer comes and clears him of his charges. The central message of this story is that good things come to good people. Whether or not people believe you,the truth will come out and things will work out in the end. ( )
  BrianRatliff | Mar 2, 2017 |
Stanley Yelnats is under a curse. A curse that began with his no-good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather and has since followed generations of Yelnatses. Now Stanley has been unjustly sent to a boys’ detention center, Camp Green Lake, where the boys build character by spending all day, every day digging holes exactly five feet wide and five feet deep. There is no lake at Camp Green Lake. But there are an awful lot of holes.It doesn’t take long for Stanley to realize there’s more than character improvement going on at Camp Green Lake. ( )
  JacquelineWelsh | Feb 21, 2017 |
Summary:
Stanley Yelnat’s family has been plagued with bad luck which they blame on his dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great-grandfather. By a stroke of bad luck Stanley is sent to Camp Green Lake for a crime he didn’t commit. The boys at the camp must dig a hole five feet deep and five feet across each day. Between the digging, the rattlesnakes, the poisonous lizards, and the other boys, he is lucky to make it through each day. Along the way he learns about himself and the value of friendship, as well as his family’s past. This book was the 1999 Newberry Medal winner.

Personal Response:
This book was recommended to me for use in our assignment which includes reading a YA book and then watching the movie. I had heard of the movie and thought it sounded strange but interesting, and I wasn’t disappointed by the book. I have yet to watch the movie, but I am looking forward to comparing them. As I was reading the book I couldn’t decide if I liked it or not, but something kept me reading late into the night. I finished it in two days and was sad to see it end. It was definitely strange and at times even bizarre, but the overall story works.

Curriculum Connections:
I’m not really sure how I would use the book in the classroom or library. I work with K-2 students so it wouldn’t be appropriate for them, but I can see the draw for older students.
  Kmuscha | Feb 19, 2017 |
Meh. I don't know if I'm too old or what, but this was just okay.

What I liked:
Diversity. The characters came from lots of different backgrounds, but it didn't matter.

Pacing. I read through this quickly.

What I didn't like:
What was with those nicknames? Zig-zag? Armpit? Caveman?

The characters seemed very similar despite coming from different backgrounds.

I had a hard time suspending my disbelief. Red nail polish with rattlesnake venom? Spotted lizards with exactly 11 spots?

The ending was very predictable.

I know that I'm not a part of the intended audience. Even though I'm pretty meh about the whole thing, I do think that a kid might enjoy it. ( )
  Ashley05 | Feb 11, 2017 |
I'm not going to lie, I like the movie just as much, maybe more than the book. Very funny!
  kemilyh1988 | Jan 16, 2017 |

Stanley Yelnats is a young man with some teenage problems like being overweight, poor, and social outcast. His father is an inventor and his mother is a loving and supporting woman. He believes that he and his family are cursed and that life offers nothing but a bad luck to them. Interesting fact about his name is that his last name is his first name spelled backward. His family blames his “no good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather” for a family misfortune. Because of the broken promise of the great-great-grandfather, a gypsy lady doomed his family with a bad luck.
Numerous happenings led him to conclusion that something needs to be done to get rid of the bad luck. He often finds himself being at the wrong place at the wrong time. After being falsely accused of stealing a pair of snickers from a famous basketball player at an auction for homeless, Stanley picks a Green Lake Detention Camp for Boys to serve a sentence. There is nothing green nor lake like about that juvenile correction facility. The camp is run by The Warden and Mr. Sir. Those two are very brutal people who direct each kid to dig a hole each day under the blazing hot sun. The official purpose of hole digging is to build a character. A hidden purpose is to look for buried and lost treasure of outlaw, Kissing Katy Barlow.
I see Stanley growing and changing into a leader throughout the book. He lifts himself and other around him. Teaming up with “Zero” brought many new and surprising events in his life. Together they succeeded in fighting against cruelty of Warden and her team.
Many teenagers can relate to Stanley. There is a lot to learn in this book about hard work, loyalty, friendship, persistence, love, hard work and fate.
added by sla3 | edits, slapavlo

To Sherrie, Jessica, Lori, Kathleen, and Emily
And to Judy Allen, a fifth-grade teacher from whom we all can learn
There is no lake at Camp Green Lake.
If you take a bad boy and make him dig a hole everyday in the hot sun, it will turn him into a good boy.
It was all because of his no-good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather.
But everyone makes mistakes. You may have done some bad things, but that doesn't mean you're a bad kid.
His muscles and hands weren’t the only parts of his body that had toughened over the past several weeks. His heart had hardened as well.
It felt good to walk in the shade of the two oak trees. Stanley wondered if this was how a condemned man felt on his way to the electric chair – appreciating all of the good things in life for the last time.
Please distinguish between Louis Sachar's original novel Holes (1998), and other variants of the same or related material. Thank you.
Stanley Yelnats is under a curse. A curse that began with his no-good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather and has since followed generations of Yelnats. Now Stanley has been unjustly sent to a boys' detention center, Camp Green Lake, where the warden makes the boys "build character" by spending all day, every day, digging holes. It doesn't take long for Stanley to realize there's more than character improvement going on at Camp Green Lake. The boys are digging holes because the warden is looking for something. Stanley tries to dig up the truth in this inventive and darkly humorous tale of crime and punishment--and redemption.

Stanley Yelnats is unjustly sent to Camp Green Lake where he and other boys are sentenced to dig holes to build character. Stanley learns the warden has them digging holes for something else- but what?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:29 -0400)

As further evidence of his family's bad fortune which they attribute to a curse on a distant relative, Stanley Yelnats is sent to a hellish correctional camp in the Texas desert where he finds his first real friend, a treasure, and a new sense of himself.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,243,474 books! | Top bar: Always visible