Holes (A Yearling Book) by Louis Sachar

Holes (A Yearling Book) (original 1998; edition 2000)

by Louis Sachar, Vladimir Radunsky (Illustrator), Bagram Ibatoulline (Illustrator), Louis Sachar (Author)

14,077626147 (4.07)1 / 287
Member:itzeliovana
Title:Holes (A Yearling Book)
Authors:Louis Sachar
Other authors:Vladimir Radunsky (Illustrator), Bagram Ibatoulline (Illustrator), Louis Sachar (Author)
Info:Dell Yearling (2000), Paperback, 272 pages
Collections:Adolescent, Chapter Books
Rating:**

Holes by Louis Sachar (1998)

Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli (Maiasaura)
    Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: With offbeat characters and distinctive settings, these well-paced, affecting and funny novels are about compassionate boys: Moose, caring for his autistic sister on Alcatraz Island (Al Capone); Stanley, who escapes from a juvenile detention camp to help another inmate (Holes).… (more)
    The Afterlife by Gary Soto (weener)
    Savvy by Ingrid Law (kimby365)
    kimby365: I can't guarantee that you'll enjoy that book if you enjoyed this one, but I'd say it's a pretty safe bet.
    Jo Badpenny: the comic life of a master criminal by Lookman (XRAY)

English (615)  Dutch (5)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (625)
Summary: this is a great book about a boy whose family has been cursed and he goes through the book eventually crossing paths with a descendant of the one who put a curse on his family, breaking the curse.

Personal reflection: I absolutely love this story! It's so great! I have read it many times and it is just awesome. I would recommend it to anyone. I read it for the first time in 5th grade.

Extension ideas: I am not really sure how this could be used in activities in a classroom. One of my teachers just read it to our class everyday while we waited for the busses to get there. It was our end of the day wind down. I imagine reading a big chapter book in front of the class is a good way to help students wind down and let their imagination flow with the story.
  MaeganA | Apr 16, 2015 |
The book is about a boy named Stanley to get sent to Camp Green Lake of juvenile detention camp. He got in trouble for a crime he did not commit, he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. At this camp you dig holes for your punishment all day. Stanley then becomes friends with this guy named Hector whose nickname is zero. Zero begins helping Stanley day his holes so that Stanley can teach him how to read. The warred finds out that zeros helping Stanley because he can't read and begins to make fun of zero because he cannot read and called him stupid. Zero gets mad and runs away. Stanley then goes chasing after him because that's his friend and it is dangerous world out there. The two climb up the mountain to where it used to be an old onion Field they survive off of onions and water. They go back to the camp to dig one last hole to find the treasure that they were looking for in the first place. They find a suitcase that has Stanley's name on it . Turns out to be Stanley's great grandfathers treasure.

Personal reaction.
This book is one of my favorites to read. When I first read it always had me on my toes wondering what's going to happen next. I just had to continue reading, I could not put it down. The book is filled with lots of family history of Stanley and Hector and it's crazy how small theworld is and how fate brought them together.

Classroom extension
1 the students can create a family tree of their past family.
2. The teacher can discuss other famous outlaws like Jessie J.
  Kim_Riedmann12 | Apr 16, 2015 |
Stanley is a teenagers who is sent to Camp Green Lake, a juvenile detention camp, for a crime he did not commit. He was accused of stealing shoes from a famous athlete. Stanley and the other boys at the camp are forced to dig large holes in the dirt every day. Stanley eventually realizes that they are digging these holes because the Warden is searching for something. Where there, Stanley meets a boy named Hector also known as Zero. Zero starts digging a part of Stanley's hole every day so that Stanley can teach him how to read. But before Stanley finishes, the Warden finds out about the deal and, along with the other counselors, insults him and calls him stupid because he can't spell a word correctly. One day Zero ran away and Stanley went searching for him. They survived by eating onions and drinking spring water on the mountain. Stanley and Zero decided to go back to the camp to dig just one more hole. There they found the missing treasure, they also found out they were connect in some way.

I loved this book because it keeps you on your toes. You never know what is going to happen next. I also recommend the movie. I liked being able to compare the movie with the book. Both were well written.

Classroom extension
1. have the students write a paragraph about what they think it would feel like to live at camp green lake
2. have the students dig holes to find small treasure. ( )
  TameitriaJ | Apr 15, 2015 |
Summary: The main character, Stanley, is from a poor family and he gets sent to an all boys "camp" after being mistaken for stealing a pair of shoes. The camp is in the middle of nowhere pretty much, and is dry and has no water or lakes. The boys spend their days digging holes that the warden says is building their character, when in reality, the boys are unknowingly looking for a long lost treasure that hasn't been seen in years. Stanley finds out the true reasons behind the digging. Zero, Stanley's friend, runs away from camp and Stanley follows, attempting to help. The two had intentions of finding that treasure, until Stanley was proven innocent. It then seemed as if his family's luck began to turn around. Stanley's true friendship with Zero helped him with going on after the camp, and the treasures and good found helped out his family as well.

Personal Reaction: I love this book, and I have always loved the story. The visual pictures are awesome. The relationships between the friendships and family is strong and gives a good sense of what the words should mean.

Classroom Extension:
1) Make your own sandbox and have the students dig for treasure.
2) Write a story about their family. ( )
  SarahMoore | Apr 15, 2015 |
Summary:
This book is about a boy named Stanley. His family is known to have the worst luck because of Stanley's great-great grandfather. Stanley is walking home one day and minding his own business when all of the sudden these pair of tennis shoes fall out of no where. This is when things turn for the worst for Stanley because it is believed he stole them from a famous athlete. Stanley is found guilty and sent to Camp Green Lake. At Camp Green Lake the boys are made to dig holes in the hot and dry desert. Stanley meets a young boy named Zero and they become friends. They then run away and that's when things change for the two of them. The Camp Counselors are arrested and the other boys are released from the camp as well.

Personal Reaction:
This book has always been one of my favorites. I remember reading it as a kid and getting to read it again was fun. I love watching the movie whenever it is on tv.

Classroom Extensions:
1.) Have your students compare and contrast Camp Green Lake to their school.
2.) Have students go out to the playground and dig tiny holes and bury a treasure inside the holes.
  KristenLaSorsa | Apr 15, 2015 |
Stanley Yelnats is a young man with some teenage problems like being overweight, poor, and social outcast. His father is an inventor and his mother is a loving and supporting woman. He believes that he and his family are cursed and that life offers nothing but a bad luck to them. Interesting fact about his name is that his last name is his first name spelled backward. His family blames his “no good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather” for a family misfortune. Because of the broken promise of the great-great-grandfather, a gypsy lady doomed his family with a bad luck.
Numerous happenings led him to conclusion that something needs to be done to get rid of the bad luck. He often finds himself being at the wrong place at the wrong time. After being falsely accused of stealing a pair of snickers from a famous basketball player at an auction for homeless, Stanley picks a Green Lake Detention Camp for Boys to serve a sentence. There is nothing green nor lake like about that juvenile correction facility. The camp is run by The Warden and Mr. Sir. Those two are very brutal people who direct each kid to dig a hole each day under the blazing hot sun. The official purpose of hole digging is to build a character. A hidden purpose is to look for buried and lost treasure of outlaw, Kissing Katy Barlow.
I see Stanley growing and changing into a leader throughout the book. He lifts himself and other around him. Teaming up with “Zero” brought many new and surprising events in his life. Together they succeeded in fighting against cruelty of Warden and her team.
Many teenagers can relate to Stanley. There is a lot to learn in this book about hard work, loyalty, friendship, persistence, love, hard work and fate.
added by sla3 | edits, slapavlo

To Sherrie, Jessica, Lori, Kathleen, and Emily
And to Judy Allen, a fifth-grade teacher from whom we all can learn
There is no lake at Camp Green Lake.
If you take a bad boy and make him dig a hole everyday in the hot sun, it will turn him into a good boy.
It was all because of his no-good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather.
But everyone makes mistakes. You may have done some bad things, but that doesn't mean you're a bad kid.
His muscles and hands weren’t the only parts of his body that had toughened over the past several weeks. His heart had hardened as well.
It felt good to walk in the shade of the two oak trees. Stanley wondered if this was how a condemned man felt on his way to the electric chair – appreciating all of the good things in life for the last time.
Please distinguish between Louis Sachar's original novel Holes (1998), and other variants of the same or related material. Thank you.

Stanley Yelnats is under a curse. A curse that began with his no-good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather and has since followed generations of Yelnats. Now Stanley has been unjustly sent to a boys' detention center, Camp Green Lake, where the warden makes the boys "build character" by spending all day, every day, digging holes. It doesn't take long for Stanley to realize there's more than character improvement going on at Camp Green Lake. The boys are digging holes because the warden is looking for something. Stanley tries to dig up the truth in this inventive and darkly humorous tale of crime and punishment--and redemption.

Stanley Yelnats is unjustly sent to Camp Green Lake where he and other boys are sentenced to dig holes to build character. Stanley learns the warden has them digging holes for something else- but what?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:31 -0400)

As further evidence of his family's bad fortune which they attribute to a curse on a distant relative, Stanley Yelnats is sent to a hellish correctional camp in the Texas desert where he finds his first real friend, a treasure, and a new sense of himself.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,568,458 books! | Top bar: Always visible