Holes (A Yearling Book) by Louis Sachar

Holes (A Yearling Book) (original 1998; edition 2000)

by Louis Sachar, Vladimir Radunsky (Illustrator), Bagram Ibatoulline (Illustrator), Louis Sachar (Author)

Series: Holes (1)

14,847685133 (4.07)1 / 299
Member:itzeliovana
Title:Holes (A Yearling Book)
Authors:Louis Sachar
Other authors:Vladimir Radunsky (Illustrator), Bagram Ibatoulline (Illustrator), Louis Sachar (Author)
Info:Dell Yearling (2000), Paperback, 272 pages
Collections:Adolescent, Chapter Books
Rating:**

Holes by Louis Sachar (1998)

Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: With offbeat characters and distinctive settings, these well-paced, affecting and funny novels are about compassionate boys: Moose, caring for his autistic sister on Alcatraz Island (Al Capone); Stanley, who escapes from a juvenile detention camp to help another inmate (Holes).… (more)
    Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli (Maiasaura, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: With tall-tale elements, quirky characters and serious themes such as racism, these poignant and humorous novels with fully-realized settings are about brave boys who make a big difference in the lives of those around them.
    Hidden Talents by David Lubar (Runa)
    Runa: Misfit kids bond after being sent away from home to a reform program.
    Saving Lucas Biggs by Marisa de los Santos (cransell)
    The Afterlife by Gary Soto (weener)
    Savvy by Ingrid Law (kimby365)
    kimby365: I can't guarantee that you'll enjoy that book if you enjoyed this one, but I'd say it's a pretty safe bet.
    Jo Badpenny: the comic life of a master criminal by Lookman (XRAY)

English (672)  Dutch (5)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (682)
My family listened to this on the drive from southern Florida to Asheville, North Carolina recently. We all loved it, which is saying something because there's usually at least one person who at best just tolerates the audiobooks we put in the car's CD player.

I do question how aware children the ages of the boys in the story are of the history of racial inequality. I remember being pretty oblivious to this kind of thing until I was in my early teens, but then maybe it's white privilege that allowed me to remain clueless for as long as I did.

But the fact that this children's book caused me to ask myself this question only makes me like it even more. ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Feb 3, 2016 |
I was surprised how much I enjoyed this book. It's about a rather ordinary boy, sent unjustly to an abusive 'camp' where he is forced to dig a huge hole every day. He makes friends, and becomes gradually tougher as he succeeds in his digging. At the same time, there are some intriguing flashbacks in his life and that of his forebears.. all of which come together in a most satisfactory conclusion. A little tense in places, and some dark humour too. Recommended ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
Holes is a fantastic book ,the story follows Stanley Yelnats who is in the wrong place at the wrong time and ends up going to a juvenile detention camp for stealing shoes he never stole. But the person who actual stole it was zero he was homeless and saw a very nice pair of shoes he liked so he took them but they were famous sneakers. the cops started to chase him so he ditched them and they landed on Stanley.This story explains their time spent at Camp Green Lake. Though it is filled with bad humor it is told in a light way, making it appealing for children and young adults as myself. the pages are with an action filled plot. Each characters background supports their strong voices.Stanley even teaches zero how to read because he was really never thought how to do anything and didn't go to school. By the end, everybody likes him. The book does a beautiful job painting a picture of Camp Green-Lake by using descriptive language. The reader can almost feel the dryness and the heat. I think that the main idea of this book the characters are well developed. You get to learn about each boy's background and find out why they all ended up at the camp. ( )
  Rishad23 | Jan 21, 2016 |
Stanley Yelnats is a very unlucky fella. He is going to a reconstruction facility where prisoners dig holes all day in oppressive heat to help them change their mindset. I found the attitude of Stanley remarkable because of the situation he's in. Sachar does an amazing job in describing Camp Green lake and I felt as if I was really there. The ending was also a fell good moment as Zero finds his mom and they all become rich. Even though this was a bit of a childish ending, I still noted the book despite a few dry moments as it can get a bit long.
  dickards | Jan 17, 2016 |
Stanley yelantes has been sen to Camp Green Lake for stealing a pair of shoes. Stanley didn't actually steal the shoes. They fell out of the sky and landed at his feet. Stanley blames the whole incident on his pig stealing great-great-great grandfather who was cursed by a gypsy. When Stanley arrives at the camp he finds there is no lake or water of any kind. The campers are required to dig a five foot deep, five foot wide hole every day on the dried up lake bed unless they find something interesting. Then the warden might give them the day off.
I was a little worried this book wouldn't fit the tag but there is a side story, involving why the lake dried up, that definitely invovles racism. This book won the Newberry award in 1999 but I found it an enjoyable read as an adult. I do wish some of the fellow campers personalities had been more developed. Except for X-Ray and Zero they all kind of run together. The author does a good job of weaving inthe back story of the town and the pig stealing without taking away from Stanley's story. I see there is a sequel to this book. I definitely will look into reading it. i'd like to spend some more time with stanley.

RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |
Stanley Yelnats is a young man with some teenage problems like being overweight, poor, and social outcast. His father is an inventor and his mother is a loving and supporting woman. He believes that he and his family are cursed and that life offers nothing but a bad luck to them. Interesting fact about his name is that his last name is his first name spelled backward. His family blames his “no good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather” for a family misfortune. Because of the broken promise of the great-great-grandfather, a gypsy lady doomed his family with a bad luck.
Numerous happenings led him to conclusion that something needs to be done to get rid of the bad luck. He often finds himself being at the wrong place at the wrong time. After being falsely accused of stealing a pair of snickers from a famous basketball player at an auction for homeless, Stanley picks a Green Lake Detention Camp for Boys to serve a sentence. There is nothing green nor lake like about that juvenile correction facility. The camp is run by The Warden and Mr. Sir. Those two are very brutal people who direct each kid to dig a hole each day under the blazing hot sun. The official purpose of hole digging is to build a character. A hidden purpose is to look for buried and lost treasure of outlaw, Kissing Katy Barlow.
I see Stanley growing and changing into a leader throughout the book. He lifts himself and other around him. Teaming up with “Zero” brought many new and surprising events in his life. Together they succeeded in fighting against cruelty of Warden and her team.
Many teenagers can relate to Stanley. There is a lot to learn in this book about hard work, loyalty, friendship, persistence, love, hard work and fate.
added by sla3 | edits, slapavlo

To Sherrie, Jessica, Lori, Kathleen, and Emily
And to Judy Allen, a fifth-grade teacher from whom we all can learn
There is no lake at Camp Green Lake.
If you take a bad boy and make him dig a hole everyday in the hot sun, it will turn him into a good boy.
It was all because of his no-good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather.
But everyone makes mistakes. You may have done some bad things, but that doesn't mean you're a bad kid.
His muscles and hands weren’t the only parts of his body that had toughened over the past several weeks. His heart had hardened as well.
It felt good to walk in the shade of the two oak trees. Stanley wondered if this was how a condemned man felt on his way to the electric chair – appreciating all of the good things in life for the last time.
Please distinguish between Louis Sachar's original novel Holes (1998), and other variants of the same or related material. Thank you.

Stanley Yelnats is under a curse. A curse that began with his no-good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather and has since followed generations of Yelnats. Now Stanley has been unjustly sent to a boys' detention center, Camp Green Lake, where the warden makes the boys "build character" by spending all day, every day, digging holes. It doesn't take long for Stanley to realize there's more than character improvement going on at Camp Green Lake. The boys are digging holes because the warden is looking for something. Stanley tries to dig up the truth in this inventive and darkly humorous tale of crime and punishment--and redemption.

Stanley Yelnats is unjustly sent to Camp Green Lake where he and other boys are sentenced to dig holes to build character. Stanley learns the warden has them digging holes for something else- but what?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:29 -0400)

As further evidence of his family's bad fortune which they attribute to a curse on a distant relative, Stanley Yelnats is sent to a hellish correctional camp in the Texas desert where he finds his first real friend, a treasure, and a new sense of himself.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,150,201 books! | Top bar: Always visible