Holes (A Yearling Book) by Louis Sachar

Holes (A Yearling Book) (original 1998; edition 2000)

by Louis Sachar, Vladimir Radunsky (Illustrator), Bagram Ibatoulline (Illustrator)

Series: Holes (1)

13,745575152 (4.07)1 / 279
Member:tylerblount
Title:Holes (A Yearling Book)
Authors:Louis Sachar
Other authors:Vladimir Radunsky (Illustrator), Bagram Ibatoulline (Illustrator)
Info:Dell Yearling (2000), Paperback, 272 pages
Tags:Newberry, Discipline, Family

Holes by Louis Sachar (1998)

Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli (Maiasaura)
    Savvy by Ingrid Law (kimby365)
    kimby365: I can't guarantee that you'll enjoy that book if you enjoyed this one, but I'd say it's a pretty safe bet.
    The Afterlife by Gary Soto (weener)
    Jo Badpenny: the comic life of a master criminal by Lookman (XRAY)

English (562)  Dutch (5)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (572)
Stanley Yelnats is a young man with some teenage problems like being overweight, poor, and social outcast. His father is an inventor and his mother is a loving and supporting woman. He believes that he and his family are cursed and that life offers nothing but a bad luck to them. Interesting fact about his name is that his last name is his first name spelled backward. His family blames his “no good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather” for a family misfortune. Because of the broken promise of the great-great-grandfather, a gypsy lady doomed his family with a bad luck.
Numerous happenings led him to conclusion that something needs to be done to get rid of the bad luck. He often finds himself being at the wrong place at the wrong time. After being falsely accused of stealing a pair of snickers from a famous basketball player at an auction for homeless, Stanley picks a Green Lake Detention Camp for Boys to serve a sentence. There is nothing green nor lake like about that juvenile correction facility. The camp is run by The Warden and Mr. Sir. Those two are very brutal people who direct each kid to dig a hole each day under the blazing hot sun. The official purpose of hole digging is to build a character. A hidden purpose is to look for buried and lost treasure of outlaw, Kissing Katy Barlow.
I see Stanley growing and changing into a leader throughout the book. He lifts himself and other around him. Teaming up with “Zero” brought many new and surprising events in his life. Together they succeeded in fighting against cruelty of Warden and her team.
Many teenagers can relate to Stanley. There is a lot to learn in this book about hard work, loyalty, friendship, persistence, love, hard work and fate.
  astinchavez | Oct 16, 2014 |
I really enjoyed reading this book for a few reasons. I remember watching the movie Holes before and it helped me visualize the camp, and desert setting more realistically. The writing and plot is very engaging. The dialogue, and plot help to make it suspenseful. The warden and boy who dig holes are at each other for the entire story. The characters are very authentic and easy to become attached to. Zoro, for example cannot even read. Readers are pushed to think why the characters are really forced to dig holes. The big idea of this story is to persevere despite the circumstances. ( )
  dbaker16 | Oct 16, 2014 |
(5.2)
  mshampson | Oct 15, 2014 |
I think that the big message of this story is that if you stay true to yourself and if you're a good person good things will happen to you. One reason I like this book was because of the writing. I liked the flashbacks of Stanley Yelnats' family and Hector Zeroni's family. Another reason I liked this book was because it had humorous writing in it. For example, every time they refer to Stanley's great great grandfather he is called a "no good rotten pig stealing great great grandfather." I liked the repetition of this and thought it was funny. ( )
  rjayne2 | Oct 7, 2014 |
In my opinion this is a great book. When I was younger, I enjoyed reading it because of the adventure and "mystery." Now that I read it again, as a future teacher analyzing the story, I am able to see and consider things that I never saw before.

To start off, I liked this book because of the language the author used. Throughout the whole book, the author says, "no-good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing great-great-grandfather." The description of the great great grandfather is so long, yet unique. I thought that it brought some humor into the book. In addition, it is similar to a children's book because sometimes words are repeated over and over again for emphasis. Having this said throughout the entire chapter book allows the reader to see how much of a "no good" great great grandfather he was and how much anger Stanley's family members had against him.

Another reason why I liked the book was because of the writing. When reading the book, I liked how the story would go back and forth from present day to the past. I thought the author organized it well. The reader is able to get background information on Stanley's family from the past throughout the book. Also, when the author did it this way, it wasn't confusing to read. The reader is easily able to tell when the story took place in the past or in present day.

Although this book is fiction, the reader is able to understand the racial problems that occurred in the past. In third or fourth grade, I believe bringing awareness of racism was one purpose. I thought another purpose of this book was about friendship. The book talks about Stanley and Zero a lot and the loyalty of their friendship. ( )
  epark6 | Oct 2, 2014 |
added by sla3 | edits, slapavlo

To Sherrie, Jessica, Lori, Kathleen, and Emily
And to Judy Allen, a fifth-grade teacher from whom we all can learn
There is no lake at Camp Green Lake.
If you take a bad boy and make him dig a hole everyday in the hot sun, it will turn him into a good boy.
It was all because of his no-good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather.
But everyone makes mistakes. You may have done some bad things, but that doesn't mean you're a bad kid.
His muscles and hands weren’t the only parts of his body that had toughened over the past several weeks. His heart had hardened as well.
It felt good to walk in the shade of the two oak trees. Stanley wondered if this was how a condemned man felt on his way to the electric chair – appreciating all of the good things in life for the last time.
Please distinguish between Louis Sachar's original novel Holes (1998), and other variants of the same or related material. Thank you.
Information from the Japanese Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

Stanley Yelnats is under a curse. A curse that began with his no-good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather and has since followed generations of Yelnats. Now Stanley has been unjustly sent to a boys' detention center, Camp Green Lake, where the warden makes the boys "build character" by spending all day, every day, digging holes. It doesn't take long for Stanley to realize there's more than character improvement going on at Camp Green Lake. The boys are digging holes because the warden is looking for something. Stanley tries to dig up the truth in this inventive and darkly humorous tale of crime and punishment--and redemption.

Stanley Yelnats is unjustly sent to Camp Green Lake where he and other boys are sentenced to dig holes to build character. Stanley learns the warden has them digging holes for something else- but what?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:31 -0400)

As further evidence of his family's bad fortune which they attribute to a curse on a distant relative, Stanley Yelnats is sent to a hellish correctional camp in the Texas desert where he finds his first real friend, a treasure, and a new sense of himself.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,307,258 books! | Top bar: Always visible