Holes by LOUIS SACHAR

Holes (original 1998; edition 2000)

by LOUIS SACHAR

Info:BLOOMSBURY PUBLISHING PLC (2000), Paperback
Collections:eBook, On Audible, On Kindle, Your library
Rating:***
Tags:not checked

Holes by Louis Sachar (1998)

Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: With offbeat characters and distinctive settings, these well-paced, affecting and funny novels are about compassionate boys: Moose, caring for his autistic sister on Alcatraz Island (Al Capone); Stanley, who escapes from a juvenile detention camp to help another inmate (Holes).… (more)
    Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli (Maiasaura, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: With tall-tale elements, quirky characters and serious themes such as racism, these poignant and humorous novels with fully-realized settings are about brave boys who make a big difference in the lives of those around them.
    Hidden Talents by David Lubar (Runa)
    Runa: Misfit kids bond after being sent away from home to a reform program.
    Saving Lucas Biggs by Marisa de los Santos (cransell)
    The Afterlife by Gary Soto (weener)
    Savvy by Ingrid Law (kimby365)
    kimby365: I can't guarantee that you'll enjoy that book if you enjoyed this one, but I'd say it's a pretty safe bet.
    Jo Badpenny: the comic life of a master criminal by Lookman (XRAY)

English (752)  Dutch (5)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  French (1)  English (764)
This book is done episodically, and introduces a pretty interesting timeline to students. The book has a lot of flashbacks, and glimpses in the past. This can be beneficial when trying to help students learn to make predictions and find symbolism. The students will be working to make connections throughout the book to figure out the mystery behind the story. I find that this book is engaging for a wide range of students, even my Fiance--whom hated school and reading--loved this book. ( )
  MissCogswell | Dec 5, 2016 |
Although this is technically a children's book I was pretty enthralled with the story. Yes I have watched the movie before but that didn't take away from my fascination with Stanley's plight. Even though this was Stanley's story there were several stories within this story. There's the story of Stanley's great-great-grandfather. And there's the story of Kissin Kate Barlow and her broken heart. I love stories within stories.

My only complaint about this book is that it seemed to wrap up really quickly. All storylines tied in a nice bow within the last few pages. I would have liked to have seen more of what happened next to Stanley and Zero (who by the way, really stole the show for me especially in the last half of the book.)

Overall, an excellent book that would be a great project to read as a family....and then watch the movie! 4.5 Stars ( )
  ChristinaT. | Dec 3, 2016 |
Summary: This book is actually a movie as well. It is about a young boy named Stanley Yelnats who has gotten himself into some trouble, and his only options are to either go to this boys camp and work over the summer or go to juvy. So he decides to go off to the camp where they work him like a dog, digging holes in the hot desert. He ends up making some pretty memorable friends and also finds out a huge family secret. It really is a great read.

Personal Reaction: I was excited to read the book because I love the movie. I ended up liking the book even more!

1. I would ask the kids to write a story based on stanley yelnats family story.
2. I would ask the kids to describe their worst idea of a summer camp.
  Shelby_Booker1214 | Nov 30, 2016 |
Summary:

This book is about a boy who is cursed and unjustly sent to a boys detention center. Where the warden makes them dig 5x5 holes. It doesn't take long for Stanley to realize the warden is looking for something but What ?

Personal Reaction:

My son loves the movie so I thought I would read the book. It really was cute and funny.

Creative Expression:

We can go outside and have a scavenger hunt I can make several different holes and they have to dig until they find the surprise in each hole.
  billiemarie77 | Nov 30, 2016 |
This is a great book that can teach children to keep facts and the history of the story in order since the story includes parts of the past and present. This book can also teach students about the importance of friendship and how friends should be able to stick up for each other.
  ChloeFukuda | Nov 28, 2016 |
Stanley Yelnats is a young man with some teenage problems like being overweight, poor, and social outcast. His father is an inventor and his mother is a loving and supporting woman. He believes that he and his family are cursed and that life offers nothing but a bad luck to them. Interesting fact about his name is that his last name is his first name spelled backward. His family blames his “no good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather” for a family misfortune. Because of the broken promise of the great-great-grandfather, a gypsy lady doomed his family with a bad luck.
Numerous happenings led him to conclusion that something needs to be done to get rid of the bad luck. He often finds himself being at the wrong place at the wrong time. After being falsely accused of stealing a pair of snickers from a famous basketball player at an auction for homeless, Stanley picks a Green Lake Detention Camp for Boys to serve a sentence. There is nothing green nor lake like about that juvenile correction facility. The camp is run by The Warden and Mr. Sir. Those two are very brutal people who direct each kid to dig a hole each day under the blazing hot sun. The official purpose of hole digging is to build a character. A hidden purpose is to look for buried and lost treasure of outlaw, Kissing Katy Barlow.
I see Stanley growing and changing into a leader throughout the book. He lifts himself and other around him. Teaming up with “Zero” brought many new and surprising events in his life. Together they succeeded in fighting against cruelty of Warden and her team.
Many teenagers can relate to Stanley. There is a lot to learn in this book about hard work, loyalty, friendship, persistence, love, hard work and fate.
added by sla3 | edits, slapavlo

To Sherrie, Jessica, Lori, Kathleen, and Emily
And to Judy Allen, a fifth-grade teacher from whom we all can learn
There is no lake at Camp Green Lake.
If you take a bad boy and make him dig a hole everyday in the hot sun, it will turn him into a good boy.
It was all because of his no-good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather.
But everyone makes mistakes. You may have done some bad things, but that doesn't mean you're a bad kid.
His muscles and hands weren’t the only parts of his body that had toughened over the past several weeks. His heart had hardened as well.
It felt good to walk in the shade of the two oak trees. Stanley wondered if this was how a condemned man felt on his way to the electric chair – appreciating all of the good things in life for the last time.
Please distinguish between Louis Sachar's original novel Holes (1998), and other variants of the same or related material. Thank you.
Stanley Yelnats is under a curse. A curse that began with his no-good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather and has since followed generations of Yelnats. Now Stanley has been unjustly sent to a boys' detention center, Camp Green Lake, where the warden makes the boys "build character" by spending all day, every day, digging holes. It doesn't take long for Stanley to realize there's more than character improvement going on at Camp Green Lake. The boys are digging holes because the warden is looking for something. Stanley tries to dig up the truth in this inventive and darkly humorous tale of crime and punishment--and redemption.

Stanley Yelnats is unjustly sent to Camp Green Lake where he and other boys are sentenced to dig holes to build character. Stanley learns the warden has them digging holes for something else- but what?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:29 -0400)

As further evidence of his family's bad fortune which they attribute to a curse on a distant relative, Stanley Yelnats is sent to a hellish correctional camp in the Texas desert where he finds his first real friend, a treasure, and a new sense of himself.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,727,529 books! | Top bar: Always visible