Holes by LOUIS SACHAR

Holes (original 1998; edition 2000)

by LOUIS SACHAR

Info:BLOOMSBURY PUBLISHING PLC (2000), Paperback
Collections:eBook, On Audible, On Kindle, Your library
Rating:***
Tags:not checked

Holes by Louis Sachar (1998)

Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: With offbeat characters and distinctive settings, these well-paced, affecting and funny novels are about compassionate boys: Moose, caring for his autistic sister on Alcatraz Island (Al Capone); Stanley, who escapes from a juvenile detention camp to help another inmate (Holes).… (more)
    Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli (Maiasaura, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: With tall-tale elements, quirky characters and serious themes such as racism, these poignant and humorous novels with fully-realized settings are about brave boys who make a big difference in the lives of those around them.
    The Afterlife by Gary Soto (weener)
    Savvy by Ingrid Law (kimby365)
    kimby365: I can't guarantee that you'll enjoy that book if you enjoyed this one, but I'd say it's a pretty safe bet.
    Jo Badpenny: the comic life of a master criminal by Lookman (XRAY)

English (632)  Dutch (5)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (642)
This is a great book for kids who don't particularly like to read. It's a story about friendships and overcoming obstacles. The story is so strange, and yet we've all know people just like the characters in the story. We've all experienced the same dilemmas. Do you take the fall for the greater good? Do you lie or snitch on a friend? Is it possible to put someone else's feelings before your own? Can you succeed when it looks impossible? All of these questions are answered by the characters in this story. All boys should read this book. ( )
  valorrmac | Aug 19, 2015 |
This young adult book was a very quick read - I finished it in one day. It made me very sad at times but that was replaced by many smiles. In short, it was a good story - enough said! ( )
1 vote TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
My 9-year-old and I listened to this book on CD during a few long car rides; it's a book I wanted to read just to be able to have said that I read it, as so many of my students recommend it to me and each other. When my son and I stayed in a parked car for over 45 minutes because we couldn't wait to find out what would happen next, I realized that we needed to read instead of listen to the rest. I turned off the car, dealt with my loudly and angrily protesting child, and pulled out a paperback copy. We finished the whole second half read-aloud style over a period of 3 hours tonight, and we both felt amazed at what a truly excellent story it was.

We didn't mean to put Lightning Thief off for a night, as we're loving that, but neither of us could stop with this one.

Holes captivated us and impressed me with its clever resolution and tying up of every loose end. I love Sachar's ability to weave a somewhat complex story with vocabulary and sentence structure that makes it perfectly accessible to children at the 4th-6th grade reading levels. A very worthwhile read. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
*sniff* My childhood... ( )
  KillerCorp | Jul 27, 2015 |
Some books blow me away with plot twists. Others hook me with characters. With HOLES, it was the structure that got me, and how well the structure relates to the subject matter of the story. In HOLES, Sachar presents a story that's chock full of literal and figurative holes--the ones being dug by Stanley and his friends as well as the bits of plot that are seem to be missing at first, but which get filled in as we go along. We'd seen that before from Sachar with SIDEWAYS STORIES FROM WAYSIDE SCHOOL--a collection comprised of stories with a strange tilt on reality, all set in a school that's comprised of stories that have been turned on their side. It's an amazing literary device. ( )
  tem2 | Jul 26, 2015 |
Stanley Yelnats is a young man with some teenage problems like being overweight, poor, and social outcast. His father is an inventor and his mother is a loving and supporting woman. He believes that he and his family are cursed and that life offers nothing but a bad luck to them. Interesting fact about his name is that his last name is his first name spelled backward. His family blames his “no good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather” for a family misfortune. Because of the broken promise of the great-great-grandfather, a gypsy lady doomed his family with a bad luck.
Numerous happenings led him to conclusion that something needs to be done to get rid of the bad luck. He often finds himself being at the wrong place at the wrong time. After being falsely accused of stealing a pair of snickers from a famous basketball player at an auction for homeless, Stanley picks a Green Lake Detention Camp for Boys to serve a sentence. There is nothing green nor lake like about that juvenile correction facility. The camp is run by The Warden and Mr. Sir. Those two are very brutal people who direct each kid to dig a hole each day under the blazing hot sun. The official purpose of hole digging is to build a character. A hidden purpose is to look for buried and lost treasure of outlaw, Kissing Katy Barlow.
I see Stanley growing and changing into a leader throughout the book. He lifts himself and other around him. Teaming up with “Zero” brought many new and surprising events in his life. Together they succeeded in fighting against cruelty of Warden and her team.
Many teenagers can relate to Stanley. There is a lot to learn in this book about hard work, loyalty, friendship, persistence, love, hard work and fate.
added by sla3 | edits, slapavlo

To Sherrie, Jessica, Lori, Kathleen, and Emily
And to Judy Allen, a fifth-grade teacher from whom we all can learn
There is no lake at Camp Green Lake.
If you take a bad boy and make him dig a hole everyday in the hot sun, it will turn him into a good boy.
It was all because of his no-good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather.
But everyone makes mistakes. You may have done some bad things, but that doesn't mean you're a bad kid.
His muscles and hands weren’t the only parts of his body that had toughened over the past several weeks. His heart had hardened as well.
It felt good to walk in the shade of the two oak trees. Stanley wondered if this was how a condemned man felt on his way to the electric chair – appreciating all of the good things in life for the last time.
Please distinguish between Louis Sachar's original novel Holes (1998), and other variants of the same or related material. Thank you.

Stanley Yelnats is under a curse. A curse that began with his no-good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather and has since followed generations of Yelnats. Now Stanley has been unjustly sent to a boys' detention center, Camp Green Lake, where the warden makes the boys "build character" by spending all day, every day, digging holes. It doesn't take long for Stanley to realize there's more than character improvement going on at Camp Green Lake. The boys are digging holes because the warden is looking for something. Stanley tries to dig up the truth in this inventive and darkly humorous tale of crime and punishment--and redemption.

Stanley Yelnats is unjustly sent to Camp Green Lake where he and other boys are sentenced to dig holes to build character. Stanley learns the warden has them digging holes for something else- but what?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:29 -0400)

As further evidence of his family's bad fortune which they attribute to a curse on a distant relative, Stanley Yelnats is sent to a hellish correctional camp in the Texas desert where he finds his first real friend, a treasure, and a new sense of himself.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,143,469 books! | Top bar: Always visible