Holes (A Yearling Book) by Louis Sachar

Holes (A Yearling Book) (original 1998; edition 2000)

by Louis Sachar, Vladimir Radunsky (Illustrator), Bagram Ibatoulline (Illustrator)

Series: Holes (1)

17,836859145 (4.07)1 / 337
Member:apasiekoe
Title:Holes (A Yearling Book)
Authors:Louis Sachar
Other authors:Vladimir Radunsky (Illustrator), Bagram Ibatoulline (Illustrator)
Info:Dell Yearling (2000), Paperback, 272 pages

Holes by Louis Sachar (1998)

Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: With offbeat characters and distinctive settings, these well-paced, affecting and funny novels are about compassionate boys: Moose, caring for his autistic sister on Alcatraz Island (Al Capone); Stanley, who escapes from a juvenile detention camp to help another inmate (Holes).… (more)
    Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli (Maiasaura, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: With tall-tale elements, quirky characters and serious themes such as racism, these poignant and humorous novels with fully-realized settings are about brave boys who make a big difference in the lives of those around them.
    Hidden Talents by David Lubar (Runa)
    Runa: Misfit kids bond after being sent away from home to a reform program.
    Saving Lucas Biggs by Marisa de los Santos (cransell)
    The Afterlife by Gary Soto (weener)
    Savvy by Ingrid Law (kimby365)
    kimby365: I can't guarantee that you'll enjoy that book if you enjoyed this one, but I'd say it's a pretty safe bet.
    Jo Badpenny: the comic life of a master criminal by Lookman (XRAY)

English (844)  Dutch (6)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (858)
I liked this books for a few reasons. The first reason I liked this book is because of the characters. The character development of Stanley is one of my favorites. Through his experience at the camp he becomes not only physically stronger, but he becomes a lot more self confident. In the beginning of the book, Stanley is picked on and bullied in school. At the end of the book Stanley leaves the camp knowing who he is and standing up for himself. Another character I really liked was Zero. Zero had many hardships in his life, but he always stays strong and never completely gives up. I also liked this book because the plot. I think that it's very cool and engaging how there are flashbacks to the characters relatives past that sort of line up with what's happening in the characters lives and explains exactly why Stanley and Zero are facing the bad luck that they are. One big idea of this book is about the power and benefit of friendship. This is shown in the book through Stanley and Zero's friendship. ( )
  KayleeWolbert | Mar 14, 2019 |
This book provides middle school and high school aged students with an engaging and relatable story that is both entertaining and thought-provoking. The plot contains elements of suspense, while foreshadowing events and characters to come. Readers are able to employ critical thinking skills while identifying with characters of a similar age. The vocabulary used in the book is not overly difficult, but might provide a challenge for younger readers. The characters are a lively group of children with colorful personalities and intriguing secrets for readers to discover. ( )
  ablack18 | Mar 10, 2019 |
Despite the slow beginning to this book, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I would actually love to incorporate this book into my classroom some day as the main message is one that all kids should learn and be able to discuss. The main message is that our fates are not determined by our past. The first reason is the repeated message of the importance of the yellow spotted lizard. The book opens with a chapter focusing on how deadly these animals can be. Throughout the book we learn more about how important these animals are to the theme and then we find out that these animals end up saving Stanley and Zero's lives. The author really thought this through and it comes full circle in the end. The second reason is the mix between the flashbacks and the present time. The flashbacks were a major importance to helping us figure out why they were digging the holes and emphasized the importance of the setting and some of the actions, like Stanley carrying Zero up the hill. I thought that the author did a great job at thinking through the background of the story and it helped make the story more enjoyable. ( )
  brookep8698 | Mar 5, 2019 |
I picked this up from the NaNoWriMo Halfway Party Book Swap. Started reading it casually on the subway on the way home. I'm in the middle of The Poisonwood Bible, and I'm usually a one-book-at-a-time kind of girl, but this one grabbed me from the start and I just could not put it down. I fought it for a few days, read a chapter or two of The Poisonwood Bible, insistent that I would not read another book until I finished it... and then my library loan ran out. Full permission! I plowed through the rest of the book in a mere two days. It was wonderful. Highly recommended! ( )
  Wordbrarian | Mar 5, 2019 |
I gave this book a 4/5 because I really like the message of perseverance that runs throughout the book. It uses flashbacks to show different perspectives of the story and gives the reader some background knowledge to help understand the story more. In addition, I like how the author creates a certain setting by using carefully chosen words and descriptive attributes that make it clear and easy to picture in a students mind. The one thing I don't like is how sometimes the main character is speaking and sometimes a narrator is speaking. The author makes it kind of confusing and it's unclear when the switch between the main character and narrator happens which makes it a little more difficult to follow along. ( )
  rschec5 | Mar 4, 2019 |
To Sherrie, Jessica, Lori, Kathleen, and Emily
And to Judy Allen, a fifth-grade teacher from whom we all can learn
There is no lake at Camp Green Lake.
If you take a bad boy and make him dig a hole everyday in the hot sun, it will turn him into a good boy.
It was all because of his no-good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather.
But everyone makes mistakes. You may have done some bad things, but that doesn't mean you're a bad kid.
His muscles and hands weren’t the only parts of his body that had toughened over the past several weeks. His heart had hardened as well.
It felt good to walk in the shade of the two oak trees. Stanley wondered if this was how a condemned man felt on his way to the electric chair – appreciating all of the good things in life for the last time.
Please distinguish between Louis Sachar's original novel Holes (1998), and other variants of the same or related material. Thank you.
Stanley Yelnats is under a curse. A curse that began with his no-good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather and has since followed generations of Yelnats. Now Stanley has been unjustly sent to a boys' detention center, Camp Green Lake, where the warden makes the boys "build character" by spending all day, every day, digging holes. It doesn't take long for Stanley to realize there's more than character improvement going on at Camp Green Lake. The boys are digging holes because the warden is looking for something. Stanley tries to dig up the truth in this inventive and darkly humorous tale of crime and punishment--and redemption.

Stanley Yelnats is unjustly sent to Camp Green Lake where he and other boys are sentenced to dig holes to build character. Stanley learns the warden has them digging holes for something else- but what?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:29 -0400)

As further evidence of his family's bad fortune which they attribute to a curse on a distant relative, Stanley Yelnats is sent to a hellish correctional camp in the Texas desert where he finds his first real friend, a treasure, and a new sense of himself.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,400,541 books! | Top bar: Always visible