The Heir and the Spare by Emily Albright

The Heir and the Spare (edition 2016)

by Emily Albright (Author)

Member:magiscratch
Title:The Heir and the Spare
Authors:Emily Albright (Author)
Info:Simon Pulse (2016), 287 pages
Tags:Kobo

The Heir and the Spare by Emily Albright

I started out giving this 2 stars, because at least it didn't make me want to throw is across the room, but honestly, this was just terrible.
  photonegative | May 10, 2018 |
A cute fun read filled with all your favorite classic YA tropes, guaranteed to get you out of a reading slump.

Things I Liked:
-Evie & Edmund. Friends to lovers, how can it go wrong. It’s so cliche, but I am such a sucker for it. Evie and Edmund share a lot of cute moments, and some not so cute moments as well, but I buy that they genuinely care for each other. They actually talk to each other when they have issues and don’t leave problems unresolved.
-FUN. This was a fun book. There’s drama, romance, and a bit of mystery. This story is full of YA tropes, but it is so entertaining. You fly through the story and root for the characters. It’s a really good book to get you out of a slump.
-Evie. I liked Evie. She was a sarcastic and a little mouthy, but endearing. I loved that she was smart. She suspected where her mom’s quest was leading her (even if it was a bit obvious) and she trusted in herself when she figured out the truth to be able to make some difficult decisions. I liked that she trusted her relationship with Edmund when Jax was being so manipulative. She was easy an easy character to follow, and it made the book really quick.

Things I Didn’t Like:
-Quest. I loved the idea of the quest from Evie’s mom, but I wish it played a bigger part. Because the revelation was so obvious and Evie correctly assumed the intention, they letters and quests really served no purpose.
-Suzy’s subplot. I don’t need any student/teacher plots in my stories. I’ve had enough of them and they can go away. This one was so minor it was basically nonexistent, so I really could have just gone without.
-Tagline. I just did not understand what Edmund’s part of the tagline referred to. What or who is he secretly loyal to?

This is a really quick contemporary read perfect for fans of Anna and the French Kiss.
  LifeofaLiteraryNerd | Apr 27, 2018 |
Beware readers. This book sounds cute and fun but it delivers on none of those qualities. It was a painful read that only gave me old stereotypes, a cliche romance, and the author's wish fulfillment (i.e. having a prince fall for you).

I wanted to like it. The author seemed so kind and earnest in her acknowledgements page that I feel guilty for not liking her book. But alas, here we are. ( )
  TowerGirl22 | Jul 26, 2016 |
This is a lightweight romance tale of an American teen who has been accepted to Oxford in Britain for her university education. Her deceased mother had prepared a series of clues for her which take her on a quest for her true heritage and in the meantime, she falls for a member of the Royal family who is also attending Oxford. Emily is a very young and naive 19 year old. I find her to be a little short in the brain department. The writing is entertaining though, even if the plot is thin. Fans of Prince Harry will enjoy the comparison. My thanks to the author and Goodreads for a complimentary copy of the book. ( )
  musichick52 | May 16, 2016 |
The Heir and The Spare by Emily Albright is a refreshingly delightful romance story. I found it to be the perfect book to read and enjoy while relaxing for a "getting away from it all" afternoon!

The plot was pretty basic but Ms. Albright's writing style was excellent and the story flowed well with a few unsuspected twists. The characters were enjoyable and well developed.

I think that what I enjoyed most (second to the romance of course) was the letters that Evie's Mom left for her and the path they guided Evie on as she discovered things about herself that she never dreamed possible!

Thank you to Merit Press and Edelweiss for the gift of this book in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  mrsrenee | Apr 25, 2016 |

Going all the way to England for college--to Oxford, no less--for college would be exciting enough. But no sooner does Evie set foot on English soil than she falls for a boy who turns out to be a real prince--in fact, second in line to the throne of England. Edmund is wonderful, even though loving him can be a royal pain, from the demands of his family to the stuck-up aristocrat who thinks she should be the one to win Edmund's heart. All that is swept aside, however, when the riddle of Evie's past surfaces, and the new couple becomes obsessed with figuring out who the real Evie is, with the growing suspicion that the truth will be a shocker.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,580,986 books! | Top bar: Always visible