Binti by Nnedi Okorafor

Binti (2015)

by Nnedi Okorafor

Series: Binti (1)

English (40)  Hungarian (1)  All (41)
My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Sep 21, 2017 |
Binti is the first of the Himba people ever to be accepted at Oomza University, the finest university in the galaxy. But in order to take advantage of the scholarship, she’ll have to leave her family, her village, her entire way of life, and travel among strangers (her fellow students) who neither understand nor respect her traditions.

This is a coming-of-age story, an adventure, a buddy road-trip, and a space opera all in one small package. I loved Binti. She’s resourceful, mentally and physically strong, a loyal friend, a compassionate person, and a canny negotiator. I loved the way that she slowly developed a relationship with Okwu, the young Meduse warrior (?), carefully observing and strategically offering information and help once she understood the issue.

Science fiction is not my favorite genre (understatement), but I might read more of this series. ( )
  BookConcierge | Aug 31, 2017 |
* Review contains spoilers*

Tiny little book, took me ages to read because the middle section is really creepy. Young woman leaves home precipitously in order to attend university. Set somewhere in the far future, the university is some days travel through space. And then pirates, of a sort. ( )
  fred_mouse | Aug 16, 2017 |
Binti - Nnedi Okorafor
4 stars

This is not a book that is marketed for someone like me. Middle-aged, white female….nope, not the intended audience. But I liked it. I like Binti, the intelligent, female, rebellious, protagonist. I like the multi-racial, multi-cultural, multi-ethnic, multi-species message. It was a bit heavy handed, but that fits with the genre tradition of Space Opera as morality tale. The use of higher mathematics as a mystical communication device was clever, although somewhat overly contrived. Still, it’s completely in keeping with genre parameters. If I were still a teacher of the young people who are actually the target audience, this book and it’s sequels would be placed on the (virtual) classroom shelves. ( )
  msjudy | Aug 9, 2017 |
I wasn't sure what to expect from such a short novella, but I was floored by how much the author was able to include. Binti is a well crafted, brilliantly executed story - a very necessary bildungsroman that science fiction needs more of. It's a story of branching out on your own against everything you've been taught and bravely facing the struggles presented by the unknown. The novella's analysis of language was also fascinating and unexpected. A great read from start to finish! ( )
  JOlson724 | Jul 27, 2017 |

Okorafor, Nnediprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Foltzer, ChristineDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miles, RobinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palumbo, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to the little blue jellyfish I saw swimming
the Khalid Lagoon that sunny day in Sharjah,
United Arab Emirates
I powered up the transporter and said a silent prayer.
"This was my first time leaving the home of my parents. I had never even left my own city, let alone my planet Earth. Days later, in the blackness of space, everyone on my ship but the pilot was killed, many right before my eyes, by a people at war with those who view my own people as near slaves."
This story was first published on Tor.com

Her name is Binti, and she is the first of the Himba people ever to be offered a place at Oomza University, the finest institution of higher learning in the galaxy. But to accept the offer will mean giving up her place in her family to travel between the stars among strangers who do not share her ways or respect her customs.

Knowledge comes at a cost, one that Binti is willing to pay, but her journey will not be easy. The world she seeks to enter has long warred with the Meduse, an alien race that has become the stuff of nightmares. Oomza University has wronged the Meduse, and Binti's stellar travel will bring her within their deadly reach.

If Binti hopes to survive the legacy of a war not of her making, she will need both the the gifts of her people and the wisdom enshrined within the University, itself - but first she has to make it there, alive.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 05 Sep 2015 11:00:10 -0400)

Nnedi Okorafor is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,667,792 books! | Top bar: Always visible