Binti by Nnedi Okorafor

Binti (original 2015; edition 2015)

by Nnedi Okorafor (Author)

Series: Binti (1)

Member:sylviawrigley
Title:Binti
Authors:Nnedi Okorafor (Author)
Info:Tor.com (2015), 96 pages

Binti by Nnedi Okorafor (2015)

English (32)  Hungarian (1)  All (33)
A SF novella about a Himba girl who is the first of her people to leave their planet to go to university.

I like stories about people going to university and I was expecting this to be about Binti’s experiences at university, rather than about the journey getting there. Although this meant I found the jarring and traumatic disruption to her journey unexpected, which is appropriate.

Perhaps the most interesting part about reading Binti was that, when I was halfway through it, my mother casually pointed out a magazine cover to me, with a comment about the woman’s hairstyle, and I realised the woman was a Himba. Like Binti. There was an article inside which talked about the custom of Himba women covering their hair and skin with otjize, and I appreciated having this background knowledge as I read the rest of Binti.

I might have more coherent thoughts once I’ve read the sequel... ( )
  Herenya | May 16, 2017 |
Binti is a brilliant mathematician, able to calculate complete equations in her mind. She is the first of the Himba people to be accepted to Oomza University on the other side of the galaxy and she's thrilled at the opportunity to go. Due to her families disapproval, she sneaks away in the night to board the spaceship to her new life. On her journey to university, she is brought into the heart of an old conflict.

In this brilliant novella, Nnedi Okorafor offers an inventive space opera. It's a story of a woman seeking her place and an exciting tale of survival. I loved Binti as a character. She is intelligent and holds true to herself and her heritage, despite her emotional conflict about leaving home. ( )
  andreablythe | May 5, 2017 |
Binti is the first of the Himba people ever to be offered a place at Oomza University, the finest institution of higher learning in the galaxy.

I really enjoyed reading this story but I am a bit mixed on the experience as a whole.

I loved the glimpses of the world Binti comes from and really, really want to see more of this universe
and I loved her story of being the first of her people to leave the Earth, the strength that took for her to do and how she brought her culture with her instead of abandoning it to fit in or make things easier.

I found the overall story very interesting and the pace at the beginning felt just right but it fell apart a little at the end. The ending felt rushed and a little to...upbeat considering what happens in the middle of the story. Overall it felt like sections of the story were either cut out or squashed to fit the novella format and the ending suffered a bit for it.

Still, there is a beauty and wonderful lyrical quality to Nnedi Okorafor's writing and the wonderful character of Binti which more than made up for the short comings of the ending for me and I am very excited to read more in this series. ( )
  Kellswitch | May 4, 2017 |
"I am Binti Ekeopara Zuzu Dambu Kaipka of Namib" (pg. 31). So says the heroine of Nnedi Okorafor's novella, Binti, when faced with aliens known only for their murderous past as she becomes the first of her people to cross the galaxy, a break from her culture's ways while she simultaneously draws upon it for strength. Okorafor's writing packs more high-concept science fiction into ninety pages than some authors accomplish over entire series. Not only does Okorafor ground Western readers in the Namibian culture in an organic manner that adds drama to her protagonist's story, she also explores cultural contacts and the conflicts that often accompany those meetings in a way that evokes the best of thought-provoking sci-fi. It's clear why this novella won both the Hugo and Nebula Awards and, having finished it, I immediately purchased the sequel, Binti: Home. ( )
  DarthDeverell | Apr 9, 2017 |
~ purchased with actual money from AMZ

BINTI is a straight forward story with a spine that is scifi with fantasy elements. The time is far beyond ours. Their earth is not ours.

There aren't a lot of twists but I enjoyed this read quite a bit. I like how mathematics was made magical. [Math actually is magical but a lot of people are Math Muggles and don't see math's glories.] The other thing I enjoyed was the otherness of the main character. She's not white, she's not likely to be your culture, and she not even from our timeline. She holds to her sense of self so closes that Binti is still 'of her people' while stepping away from them.

QUICK TAKE
Nice simple soft scifi story. No reason not to suggest this to teens. It would, in fact, be a nice addition to the shelves of English teachers. ( )
  PamFamilyLibrary | Mar 14, 2017 |

Okorafor, Nnediprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Foltzer, ChristineDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miles, RobinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palumbo, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to the little blue jellyfish I saw swimming
the Khalid Lagoon that sunny day in Sharjah,
United Arab Emirates
I powered up the transporter and said a silent prayer.
"This was my first time leaving the home of my parents. I had never even left my own city, let alone my planet Earth. Days later, in the blackness of space, everyone on my ship but the pilot was killed, many right before my eyes, by a people at war with those who view my own people as near slaves."
This story was first published on Tor.com

Her name is Binti, and she is the first of the Himba people ever to be offered a place at Oomza University, the finest institution of higher learning in the galaxy. But to accept the offer will mean giving up her place in her family to travel between the stars among strangers who do not share her ways or respect her customs.

Knowledge comes at a cost, one that Binti is willing to pay, but her journey will not be easy. The world she seeks to enter has long warred with the Meduse, an alien race that has become the stuff of nightmares. Oomza University has wronged the Meduse, and Binti's stellar travel will bring her within their deadly reach.

If Binti hopes to survive the legacy of a war not of her making, she will need both the the gifts of her people and the wisdom enshrined within the University, itself - but first she has to make it there, alive.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 05 Sep 2015 11:00:10 -0400)

Nnedi Okorafor is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,386,041 books! | Top bar: Always visible