Binti by Nnedi Okorafor

Binti (original 2015; edition 2015)

by Nnedi Okorafor (Author)

Series: Binti (1)

Member:sylviawrigley
Title:Binti
Authors:Nnedi Okorafor (Author)
Info:Tor.com (2015), 96 pages

Binti by Nnedi Okorafor (2015)

English (28)  Hungarian (1)  All (29)
~ purchased with actual money from AMZ

BINTI is a straight forward story with a spine that is scifi with fantasy elements. The time is far beyond ours. Their earth is not ours.

There aren't a lot of twists but I enjoyed this read quite a bit. I like how mathematics was made magical. [Math actually is magical but a lot of people are Math Muggles and don't see math's glories.] The other thing I enjoyed was the otherness of the main character. She's not white, she's not likely to be your culture, and she not even from our timeline. She holds to her sense of self so closes that Binti is still 'of her people' while stepping away from them.

QUICK TAKE
Nice simple soft scifi story. No reason not to suggest this to teens. It would, in fact, be a nice addition to the shelves of English teachers. ( )
  PamFamilyLibrary | Mar 14, 2017 |
Short but interesting. Why do I love books? Because even sci-fi can teach you about real things. ( )
  infjsarah | Mar 4, 2017 |
4.5 stars.
A top notch novella, with a sparkling sense of the strange and the alien. Binti is the first of the Himba people to be selected to attend the Oomza University, where the best and the brightest are invited to study. En route, Binti's journey takes a shocking turn when her ship is attacked by the aggressive Meduse. A lucky series of coincidences leads to Binti's survival. She uses these circumstances to change her destiny in ways that are disturbing and reveal the true cost of knowledge and sacrifice. ( )
  orkydd | Feb 2, 2017 |
There are an extraordinary number of themes to work through in Okarofor's novella. The main character, Binti, is first member of her group of humans to be awarded a scholarship to attend Oomza University. Despite intense pressure from her family and community to stay on Earth, she opts to make the voyage. Tragedy(?) ensues.

Nnedi Okarafor ably deals with issues of cultural isolation, discrimination, and resolution in this brief space. I particularly enjoyed the ideal of the university as a place for open dialogue where various peoples can share their knowledge. ( )
  RoeschLeisure | Jan 24, 2017 |
A cool concept and very different. I wish there'd been more set-up and character development in the beginning. I think even a novella could benefit from this. It was hard to care about the characters by the time the more negative plot points started happening.

Check out my full review. (Link will be live December 22, 2016). ( )
  gaialover | Dec 19, 2016 |

Okorafor, Nnediprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Foltzer, ChristineDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miles, RobinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palumbo, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to the little blue jellyfish I saw swimming
the Khalid Lagoon that sunny day in Sharjah,
United Arab Emirates
I powered up the transporter and said a silent prayer.
"This was my first time leaving the home of my parents. I had never even left my own city, let alone my planet Earth. Days later, in the blackness of space, everyone on my ship but the pilot was killed, many right before my eyes, by a people at war with those who view my own people as near slaves."
This story was first published on Tor.com

Her name is Binti, and she is the first of the Himba people ever to be offered a place at Oomza University, the finest institution of higher learning in the galaxy. But to accept the offer will mean giving up her place in her family to travel between the stars among strangers who do not share her ways or respect her customs.

Knowledge comes at a cost, one that Binti is willing to pay, but her journey will not be easy. The world she seeks to enter has long warred with the Meduse, an alien race that has become the stuff of nightmares. Oomza University has wronged the Meduse, and Binti's stellar travel will bring her within their deadly reach.

If Binti hopes to survive the legacy of a war not of her making, she will need both the the gifts of her people and the wisdom enshrined within the University, itself - but first she has to make it there, alive.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 05 Sep 2015 11:00:10 -0400)

Nnedi Okorafor is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

16 wanted1 pay1 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,260,640 books! | Top bar: Always visible