Borderline (The Arcadia Project) by Mishell…

Borderline (The Arcadia Project) (edition 2016)

by Mishell Baker (Author)

Member:sylviawrigley
Title:Borderline (The Arcadia Project)
Authors:Mishell Baker (Author)
Info:Saga Press (2016), 400 pages

Borderline by Mishell Baker

Finished this wanting to read more. A world in which the Fey live in a parallel world to our own Arcadia), but can travel back and forth through special gates. The setting is LA and Holywood, and our heroine is part of a team of people with grave mental health issues (the Arcadia Project) who oversee the Fey in our world. The writing really rings true, although the mental health stuff is sometimes jarring. Looking forward to reading more. ( )
  Matt_B | Oct 6, 2018 |
I loved this book. The main character, Millie, is incredibly real, nuanced and flawed, with a narrative voice that draws you in and keeps you reading the story until you're done. This is a fast read, incredibly well-plotted, and diverse as hell. Millie is disabled and has borderline personality disorder, and the narrative doesn't shy away from showing how that affects her life. However, Millie doesn't let either handicap stop her from getting shit done, and the story never, ever takes away her agency or personhood because of her handicaps. Millie is, from page one, a real, vibrant person who is intensely aware of how the rest of the world looks at her, and of what she can accomplish anyway.

On top of that, we have fey 'echos' that act as inspiration fuel for creatives in LA, wizards, warlocks, a top secret human-fey regulation organization, and en emotion-holding dragon familiar. Would definitely recommend, and will definitely keep reading. ( )
  VLarkinAnderson | Sep 24, 2018 |
I immediately put a hold on the next book in the series. ( )
  ansate | Sep 23, 2018 |
First line: It was midmorning on a Monday when magic walked into my life wearing a beige Ann Taylor suit and sensible flats.

I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to adequately write about this book because it's quickly become one of those reads that has merged a little with my DNA. How do you reasonably talk about a book like that?

An inventive urban fantasy, this novel features a heroine who has Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) and is a double amputee. Languishing in a psychiatric center after a failed suicide attempt, Millie -- once a promising film director --is invited to join the Arcadia Project, a mysterious organization that manages relationships between this world and the fey.

Baker's writing is wonderful: with the Los Angeles setting and our cast of misfits, there's a noir-y feel to this urban fantasy that makes it read fresh and fast. Baker manages to do some incredible world-building in a deft, readable manner; even though our heroine was new to this world, too, neither of us were subjected to info dumps. And while there were moments when I had to sit impatiently for the reveal, it was in a good way, not in a sloppy writing way. This book had all the emotional elements I want in a compelling read -- romance and desire, intrigue and double cross, sense of place and landscape -- but nothing manifested in an anticipated way.

Meeting Millie, as it were, was a lightning strike for me. At the risk of oversharing, my experience with BPD has been limited and I've only had a vague understanding of it and how it impacts me and my behavior. But Baker's articulation of BPD -- including treatment -- was so illuminating, it literally introduced me to things that therapy hadn't and reassured me that the rough parts of myself that I despise need not be hated. Millie is a deeply imperfect and flawed heroine who makes for compelling reading and her missteps and corrections reassured me that I can be okay despite my own failings.

I actually listened to half this book as an audiobook before diving in and reading, and the audiobook production is great. I actually still hear Arden Hammersmith, the audiobook narrator, in my head while reading certain characters.

Although the first book in a trilogy, this one has a great ending that closes up plots so you need not be on the hook to read the next two books -- but you're going to really, really want to. I selected this as my book club's September read and at least two members went out and read the remaining two books immediately upon finishing this one, they -- like me -- were so hooked on Millie and Baker's world. ( )
  unabridgedchick | Aug 15, 2018 |
Fuck! I have just found another author! Someone where I want to read ALL their work - and crap it seems to be their first novel! MOAR please.

This book was what not much urban fantasy is... deep and layered and wow!

I adored all of the characters - including our very flawed protagonist. When people talk about wanting strong female characters - this is what they mean - at least that is what I mean!

I will have to write a long in depth review, but for now - just wow!!!

Edit: Read my full review: http://wp.me/p40HVI-ED ( )
  macthekat82 | May 15, 2018 |
Despite having some complaints with the narrative as I read (primarily, Millie’s unflagging self-awareness, even in real-time as she makes life-altering missteps), they all seem negligible when I consider the book as a whole. Borderline is dark and creeping and smart as a whip. It is also Baker’s debut novel, and an exceptional one at that. I am beyond excited to read more from her, whether it’s in the the Arcadia Project series or otherwise.
added by karenb | editTor.com, Emily Nordling (Feb 29, 2016)

Starred review.

Fully articulated, flawed, and fascinating characters combine with masterly urban fantasy storytelling in Baker’s debut novel.
added by karenb | editPublishers Weekly (Jan 18, 2016)

An enjoyable fantasy mystery that tackles physical disability and mental illness without sacrificing diverting, fast-paced storytelling.
added by karenb | editKirkus Reviews (Jan 15, 2016)

"A cynical, paraplegic screenwriter with borderline personality disorder gets recruited to join a secret organization that oversees relations between Hollywood and Fairyland in the first book of a new urban fantasy series from debut author Mishell Baker"--Amazon.com.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,500,331 books! | Top bar: Always visible