Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Death Before Decaf: A Java Jive Mystery by…

Death Before Decaf: A Java Jive Mystery (edition 2015)

by Caroline Fardig (Author)

Member:Critterbee
Title:Death Before Decaf: A Java Jive Mystery
Authors:Caroline Fardig (Author)
Info:Alibi (2015), 281 pages
Rating:*
Tags:netgalley, mystery

Death Before Decaf by Caroline Fardig

This was a fun little mystery story. The characters were interesting, and the mystery was a solid one. There were many suspects, and people who were not what they immediately seem to be. There were some humorous moments, especially the funeral scene. Funerals are not usually funny, but this one was hilarious.

The love triangle between Juliet, Pete and Ryder was a little frustrating. Juliet and Pete obviously love each other, but never say it. I am starting to lose patience with that type of relationship. So much trouble could be saved by just communicating. Ryder and Juliet have chemistry, but too many secrets between them. Ugh!

I received a free ARC from NetGalley ( )
  readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |
I had read the third book in this series some time ago and decided to go back to the beginning. I am glad I did. It introduced us to the characters and gave us some information about their past relationships. This was told using flashbacks and it filled in the details nicely. Juliet Langley, has returned to Nashville after losing her cafe. She is going to manage Java Jive owned by her best friend Pete. Gertie, Pete's grandmother who raised him, is a lot of the comic relief in this story, I absolutely loved her character. Seth, is a regular at the cafe that seems to have fallen for Juliet, although he picked up quickly on the fact that she has deeper feelings for Pete than just friendship.

The story is a cozy murder mystery, where Juliet is one of the suspects. As in any cozy, she decides that in order to clear her name, she needs to investigate on her own. What she does, and what she finds will make you laugh one minute, then worry about her the next. She seems to be alienating much of the staff at the cafe while investigating, although she is not doing it intentionally.

There are many laugh out loud moments in this story, including the funeral of the murder victim. The plot is well developed and includes intrigue, suspicion and especially danger. The twist at the end was great, and I was not expecting it at all. This book has something for everyone, a mystery, humour, some romance, food and drink as well as human dynamics. I am now going to continue to read this series and see what else Juliet gets herself into. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
Juliet Langley has come back to Nashville after losing her fiancé and business partner, her best waitress, and ultimately her café when the fiancé skips town with the waitress and every penny in the company's accounts. Now, days short of her thirtieth birthday, she's starting over, taking over as the manager of Java Jive, a café owned by old friend Pete Bennett.

The existing staff isn't thrilled to meet her, especially Dave Hill, the head cook. Dave's been acting manager in the café Pete inherited from his father George a few months ago. Pete's been dividing his time between Java Jive and the recording studio where he's a sound engineer. Juliet's appalled to see how standards have slipped since George's death, and she has two arguments with Dave that first day. She takes a break after the second one, and returns to find Dave has left at the end of his shift.

That night, at closing time, she's doing the last of the clean-up by herself, and finds Dave's body in the dumpster.

Police Detective Cromwell suggests those two arguments make Juliet a great suspect. Hunky stranger Scott Davis is asking lots of questions, and what he says about his background doesn't add up. Pete's girlfriend Cecilia dislikes her, and the feeling is mutual. Pete's grandmother Gertie is a bright spot, but the adolescent angst of much of the mostly college-age staff is not. Sleazy reporter Don Wolfe wants a juicy interview, and is willing to use his lurid imagination when Juliet doesn't cooperate. Convinced she's going to get charged with murder if she doesn't find the killer herself, or at least come up with good alternate suspects, Juliet starts asking questions of her own. A new picture begins to emerge of the seemingly hostile and indifferent Dave, and Juliet meets some interesting--and scary--new people.

It becomes clearer and clearer that hunky Scott isn't who he says he is, but he also acts like he really cares about her increasingly dubious safety. Meanwhile, Pete is also too interested in her safety and welfare for girlfriend Cecilia's taste.

But even after some really scary experiences, Juliet keeps going, and gets into a situation where only her brains and her guts will keep her alive long enough to matter.

This book is funny, without making fun of the really dangerous stuff that's going on around Java Jive. Pete is a keeper, Gertie is a treasure, and "Scott" may not be gone for good. These are likable characters trying to do the right thing, and being very entertaining while they do it.

A great light read. Recommended.

I received a free electronic galley of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. ( )
  LisCarey | Sep 19, 2018 |
I don't often read book from the cozy-mystery genre, but this book makes me want to look into further, starting with the next book in this series. I felt as though it was a very cute, light-hearted read that charmingly introduced readers into a new series of mysteries. While there wasn't anything substantially unique about this book, and I did have a couple things that occasionally irked me, it was still a nice book to sit down and relax with. Overall, 3.5 stars. ( )
  spellbindingstories | May 24, 2018 |
Contemporary cozy with a slow-witted heroine with stage fright, her door mat of a best friend/boss, and dated references to college students. After the first few chapters, the mystery was not so mysterious, and I felt frustrated by Juliet's bad decisions and foolishness. She has had bad experiences with men on more than one occasion, yet she has not learned from them. She is written as having a "red-headed-devil," out of control side, but that does not really ring true. She just gets slightly mad and then feels horrible about it.

This is the first book I have read by this author, so I do not know if Lizzie Hart is a similar character and need to go check out that series.

**eARC netgalley** ( )
  Critterbee | Apr 16, 2018 |

After her music career crashes and burns, Juliet Langley is forced to turn to the only other business she knows: food service. Unfortunately, bad luck strikes yet again when her fianc robs her blind and runs off with her best waitress. Flushing what's left of her beloved cafe down the toilet with her failed engagement, Juliet moves back to her college stomping grounds in Nashville to manage an old friend's coffeehouse. At first glance, it seems as though nothing's changed at Java Jive. What could possibly go wrong? Only that the place is hemorrhaging money, the staff is in open revolt, and Juliet finds one unlucky employee dead in the dumpster out back before her first day is even over. The corpse just so happens to belong to the cook who'd locked horns with Juliet over the finer points of the health code. Unimpressed with her management style, the other disgruntled employees are only too eager to spill the beans about her fiery temper to the detective on the case. Add to the mix a hunky stranger who's asking way too many questions, and suddenly Juliet finds herself in some very hot water. If she can't simmer down and sleuth her way to the real killer, she's going to get burned.… (more)

Caroline Fardig is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,522,808 books! | Top bar: Always visible