How to Train Your Dragon by Cressida Cowell

How to Train Your Dragon (original 2003; edition 2010)

by Cressida Cowell

Member:cemmom
Title:How to Train Your Dragon
Authors:Cressida Cowell
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2010), Edition: 1, Paperback, 240 pages

How to Train Your Dragon by Cressida Cowell (2003)

English (88)  French (1)  All languages (89)
Personal Response: I thoroughly enjoyed this read, full of comedy, heroism, rooting for the underdog, and the believable science fiction dragons. There are parts that will make kids, boys especially, laugh out loud.

Curricular Connections: This would make a sensible study of book vs. movie, as I found them not only different in story, but different in feel. The social issue of brains vs. braun is presented lightly, and is a good conversation starter.
  LeslieRivver | Mar 14, 2015 |
This book is about a Viking boy named Hiccup III. Hiccup is not an ordinary boy, and he is the son of the chief. Everybody expects Hiccup to be the best but unfortunately he is called Hiccup the Useless and he is the worst. Then one day, he tries to become a real hero by passing the final test. But he gets everybody exiled from the tribe because his dragon almost killed all the dragons. So, it ended it to a big dragon fight. After that, he shouts at his dad about what kind of a dad he is! But then, the chief finds the biggest dragon ever. Everybody then finds out that Hiccup can speak to dragons, which is illegal. But, he ends up saving the day.
I like this adventured packed book because it about a person he shows everybody his strength and not his weaknesses.
I would rate this book 7 out of 10. ( )
  AB4Books | Jan 8, 2015 |
Very different from what I remember of the movie, but with many of the same qualities: charming, clever, inventive, and just a little gross (Viking and dragon excretions).

Hiccup is the son of the Viking Chief, but he isn't very heroic (as defined by Viking standards). He's small and unremarkable, and he obtains a small and unremarkable dragon - or rather, the dragon is remarkable for how extraordinarily how small it is...and how Toothless.

By modern standards, Hiccup would fare a bit better: he may not be big or strong, but he's smart and kind and brave. It turns out that Hiccup does get to be the hero, when the traditional strategy of "yell at it" does not work against the massive sea dragon that washes up on the Vikings' beach. ( )
  JennyArch | Jan 5, 2015 |
A Viking community has spent years training dragons without ever really understanding them. When the leader of the clan’s son, Hiccup, has to train his own dragon he gets a tiny one called Toothless. Though Hiccup has been bullied for years he discovers he has his own unique talents. The book is fun, but I actually liked the movie more. It has a completely different feel. In the book Toothless is pretty rude and uncooperative. I would highly recommend the audio version of this one though, because David Tennant does an incredible job bringing the characters to life. ( )
  bookworm12 | Oct 27, 2014 |
Read this to my mature five-year-old who was eager for "big kid" books featuring male protagonists and dragons. This fit the bill, but he is a sensitive kid, and I had to do a great many impromptu edits to shield him from some of the violence. There is a lot of talk of death and dying, which was one of the more disturbing bits. There is a lot of bullying of the hero, and it takes a long time for the hero to become heroic. That weighed heavily on my kid, who couldn't stand all the meanness. The book wasn't the fantasy/fairy tale sort of read we were hoping for, but just some silliness mixed with meanness and violence. Lesson learned: recommendations, reading choice chapters, and skimming is not enough to determine appropriateness! This book is really intended for a much more mature audience (I hope), and even then, is fluff with questionable messages. (Try My Father's Dragon instead; perfect for this age.) ( )
  eslee | Oct 17, 2014 |

Cressida Cowellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Doyle, GerardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lenting, InekeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pickering, JimmyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tennant, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my good friend, Toothless - H.H.H. III
The translator would like to dedicate this book to her brother, Caspar, with love and admiration.
There were dragons when I was a boy.

AR 6.6, Pts 5

Chronicles the adventures and misadventures of Hiccup Horrendous Haddock the Third as he tries to pass the important initiation test of his Viking clan, the Tribe of the Hairy Hooligans, by catching and training a dragon.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,154,177 books! | Top bar: Always visible