How to Train Your Dragon by Cressida Cowell

How to Train Your Dragon (original 2003; edition 2010)

by Cressida Cowell

Member:cemmom
Title:How to Train Your Dragon
Authors:Cressida Cowell
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2010), Edition: 1, Paperback, 240 pages

How to Train Your Dragon by Cressida Cowell (2003)

English (84)  French (1)  All languages (85)
This book is about a boy named hiccup who was not as strong as the other vikings in his village, but he was very smart and very crafty. He eventually gets a hold of a dragon which he named toothless, and he and toothless who were once practically outcast become the heroes of the village.

I like this book because it conveys a good message in that everyone has different strengths.

Have the kids watch the movie version and compare some differences, draw dragons, and tell the class some of their strengths.
  RaymondGraham | Jul 15, 2014 |
My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Jun 24, 2014 |
I had seen the movie adaptation of How To Train Your Dragon before reading this book, but honestly after experiencing both of them I feel like I saw/read two entirely different stories. If you go into this book as a fan of the movie (or vice versa) don't expect a faithful adaptation. The only constants between both are really the names of people and places! Even the physical descriptions of Toothless, etc. are quite different.

I found this book much more humorous and enjoyable than the movie. The dialogue was much wittier and the story much cuter in many ways. It follows the son of the leader of the Hairy Hooligans, Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III, as he struggles through his training to become a full fledged member of his viking band. Part of his initiation is capturing and training a dragon, primarily to use as a hunting partner, and Hiccup has the most difficult time. Unlike the other vikings, he's thin and quick-witted and not able to do the physical feats that his peers are. He can't even get his dragon to obey him, even though he is one of the few known speakers of "Dragonese" -- the other vikings get their dragons to obey by yelling at them loudly!

I loved reading about the different varieties of dragons, and even though most of the book was silly, there was still a great coherent storyline with a lot of memorable characters and events, and the ending is actually very suspenseful and exciting. There were times when the humor was very juvenile and stretched a little thin, and a person can only handle so many snot-related jokes, but in general How To Train Your Dragon is clever and fun and I'm definitely going to be reading the rest of the series. ( )
  vombatiformes | Apr 16, 2014 |
I first picked this book because I saw this movie and really enjoyed it. This book, however, is quite different from the movie, plot-wise. I really liked the book as well, even though it was much different than what I was expecting. One of my favorite things about the book was the design. The illustrations were placed very strategically, and the font changed with certain words often being bolded and capitalized. I really like the plot and think it is a very creative story, and one that I believe children would find very amusing. ( )
  L_Cochran | Mar 15, 2014 |
Poor tiny Hiccup, the scrawniest excuse for a viking there has ever been. Son of the chief Hiccup has some gianormous shoes to fill. After barely managing to capture a dragon, a rite of passage in a young vikings life to fail means banishment and exile, he set to training it. His one instruction? YELL AT IT! This proves less than useful since the dragon refuses to listen. During his final training exercise with his dragon Toothless a brawl breaks out and all the young vikings fail because they cant control their dragons. All are set to be exiled the next morning. Some time in the night a Mountain sized dragon washes up on their shores and threatens to eat them all. Only Hiccup has learned to speak dragonese and so only he can save the day.
  stacy3176 | Mar 15, 2014 |

Cressida Cowellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Doyle, GerardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lenting, InekeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pickering, JimmyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tennant, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my good friend, Toothless - H.H.H. III
The translator would like to dedicate this book to her brother, Caspar, with love and admiration.
There were dragons when I was a boy.

AR 6.6, Pts 5

Chronicles the adventures and misadventures of Hiccup Horrendous Haddock the Third as he tries to pass the important initiation test of his Viking clan, the Tribe of the Hairy Hooligans, by catching and training a dragon.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,618,980 books! | Top bar: Always visible