How to Train Your Dragon by Cressida Cowell

How to Train Your Dragon (original 2003; edition 2010)

by Cressida Cowell

Title:How to Train Your Dragon
Authors:Cressida Cowell
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2010), Edition: 1, Paperback, 240 pages

How to Train Your Dragon by Cressida Cowell (2003)

Recently added bymackensiee, oaxacaborn, private library, JCSJogja, lvallikivi, kidsread, Zkochaji, KA_Books

English (113)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (115)
Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III is a small Viking boy who has a longish name and is a cowardly boy. He takes his Dragon Initiation test with his enemies (Snotface Snotlout, Dogsbreath the Duhbrain, etc.) and his friend, Fishlegs, and many other boys. Does he fail and be banished from the Hairy Hooligans tribe or does he win?

I love this book and can't wait to read the next! ( )
  LaviniaRossetti | Sep 6, 2016 |
Hiccup is the less-than robust son of a Viking chieftain. His hopes are simple - simply not to be embarrassed when it comes time to capture and train a dragon; and to be an ordinary hero of the clan. The story plays out a lot differently than the movie of the same name; but is no less entertaining! This is definitely a children's book; but its humor and narration by David Tennent make this a fun listen, and appropriate for a family road trip. The only caution here is the the variance between the narrator's whispering and the interstitial music between chapters is so great that you may feel a need to ride the volume control to make sure you hear everything or don't get your ears blasted out respectively! ( )
  Tanya-dogearedcopy | Aug 21, 2016 |
I was reading this with my son; he just wasn't enjoying the story so we've tabled it.
  rlsalvati | Jul 5, 2016 |
I had a lot of fun reading How To Train Your Dragon.

Having to work made me whine a little because I couldn't finish HTTYD.

My word of advice is don't go into this book expecting the movie. Read as through they are separate then you enjoy HTTYD!! ( )
  DaffiMere | Jun 30, 2016 |
Gosh.  The paper book might be three stars, but the audio was awful for a road trip, with thoughtful whispers interspersed w/ yelling, loud music on chapter breaks, heavy accent that seemed more Scot than Norse.  But even the paper story disappointing.  Simple, long-winded, no girls (in fact, only small roles for only two females at all) and an ending that came out of nowhere.  As it happens, I did watch and enjoy the movie first, years ago.  But in this case I think the movie is better than the book, and I will not be reading the rest of the series. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |

Cressida Cowellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Doyle, GerardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lenting, InekeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pickering, JimmyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tennant, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my good friend, Toothless - H.H.H. III
The translator would like to dedicate this book to her brother, Caspar, with love and admiration.
There were dragons when I was a boy.

AR 6.6, Pts 5

Chronicles the adventures and misadventures of Hiccup Horrendous Haddock the Third as he tries to pass the important initiation test of his Viking clan, the Tribe of the Hairy Hooligans, by catching and training a dragon.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,743,067 books! | Top bar: Always visible