SantaThing sign up ends in 18 minutes (23:00 GMT) » Find out more about our bookish Secret Santa!

How to Train Your Dragon by Cressida Cowell

How to Train Your Dragon (original 2003; edition 2010)

by Cressida Cowell

Member:cemmom
Title:How to Train Your Dragon
Authors:Cressida Cowell
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2010), Edition: 1, Paperback, 240 pages

How to Train Your Dragon by Cressida Cowell (2003)

English (115)  German (1)  French (1)  English (117)
This is a great young adult novel. I went into this book thinking it would be very close to the movie but it was really nothing like it. There were some vague similarities, but mostly it was a completely different story. I am interested enough that I would definitely look into reading more of the series. The story was simple and well written with witty illustrations punctuating the high points. I look forward to reading more to my son, who was obsessed with the movie and seems to like the book for it's references to it. ( )
  JessBass87 | Dec 2, 2016 |
I liked this book more than I anticipated I would. The movie was still undeniably better than the book, but the book was still fun. It was a cute, silly middle grade book. I liked Hiccup and Toothless, even though their characters (especially Toothless') are a lot different from the movie. The slightly different purposes for the dragons was interesting to see too, and the fact that dragons can understand the humans (but only obey them if they are yelling) but the humans (except Hiccup) can't understand the dragons, and speaking in the dragon language is illegal. I know that the movie was based on the book, so in most cases like this, the book would be better, but I thought the movie had more depth to the characters, and to the plot. ( )
  NicoleSch | Nov 26, 2016 |
Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III is a small Viking boy who has a longish name and is a cowardly boy. He takes his Dragon Initiation test with his enemies (Snotface Snotlout, Dogsbreath the Duhbrain, etc.) and his friend, Fishlegs, and many other boys. Does he fail and be banished from the Hairy Hooligans tribe or does he win?

I love this book and can't wait to read the next! ( )
  LaviniaRossetti | Sep 6, 2016 |
Hiccup is the less-than robust son of a Viking chieftain. His hopes are simple - simply not to be embarrassed when it comes time to capture and train a dragon; and to be an ordinary hero of the clan. The story plays out a lot differently than the movie of the same name; but is no less entertaining! This is definitely a children's book; but its humor and narration by David Tennent make this a fun listen, and appropriate for a family road trip. The only caution here is the the variance between the narrator's whispering and the interstitial music between chapters is so great that you may feel a need to ride the volume control to make sure you hear everything or don't get your ears blasted out respectively! ( )
  Tanya-dogearedcopy | Aug 21, 2016 |
I was reading this with my son; he just wasn't enjoying the story so we've tabled it.
  rlsalvati | Jul 5, 2016 |

Cressida Cowellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Doyle, GerardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lenting, InekeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pickering, JimmyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tennant, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my good friend, Toothless - H.H.H. III
The translator would like to dedicate this book to her brother, Caspar, with love and admiration.
There were dragons when I was a boy.

AR 6.6, Pts 5

Chronicles the adventures and misadventures of Hiccup Horrendous Haddock the Third as he tries to pass the important initiation test of his Viking clan, the Tribe of the Hairy Hooligans, by catching and training a dragon.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,653,911 books! | Top bar: Always visible