How to Train Your Dragon by Cressida Cowell

How to Train Your Dragon (original 2003; edition 2010)

by Cressida Cowell

Title:How to Train Your Dragon
Authors:Cressida Cowell
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2010), Edition: 1, Paperback, 240 pages

How to Train Your Dragon by Cressida Cowell (2003)

English (98)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (100)
Playful, entertaining, clever, and wonderful. ( )
  MizPurplest | Sep 21, 2015 |
That was funny! Thanks to the recommendation from a co-worker. On to the second! ( )
  untitled841 | Aug 20, 2015 |
Different plot and characters than the movie but still lots of fun! David Tennant is a great narrator though there were major volume range problems where I couldn't hear some parts and my ears were actually physically pained at others (downloaded from Audible). I loved this Toothless equally for completely different reasons ( )
  anyaejo | Aug 12, 2015 |
I saw the movie when it first came out, breaking my usual rule of reading the book first. It remains the only film I've seen in 3D and I really enjoyed it.
So when I needed a title for Chatterbooks and Becky said she had related activities already printed, I jumped at the chance to read the book.
I know there are always differences between formats, some for better, some for worse, but in this case the differences are vast. Even though it is a long time since I saw the movie, I can recall that there are fundamental differences in very basic elements of plot. I think it was this difference that made me somewhat disappointed in the book. It just wasn't what I remembered.
However, trying to think of it in isolation, it IS a good children's story. Lots of action and jeopardy and fun characters.
It will be interesting to see what the group makes of it. ( )
  Helen_Earl | Aug 6, 2015 |
Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III is not like other Vikings. He speaks to the dragons in their language: dragonese, he isn't very good at insulting, and he does't look like the other thugs in his tribe. When he goes to pick his dragon, he finds the smallest most common dragon, names him Toothless, and tries to train him to become a great hunting dragon.

This book, and series, is quite funny. It is a little crude, but most kids who love Diary of a Wimpy Kid would probably enjoy this series. It would be a good bridge to other books about dragons from DWK. ( )
  agrudzien | Jun 14, 2015 |

Cressida Cowellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Doyle, GerardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lenting, InekeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pickering, JimmyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tennant, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my good friend, Toothless - H.H.H. III
The translator would like to dedicate this book to her brother, Caspar, with love and admiration.
There were dragons when I was a boy.

AR 6.6, Pts 5

Chronicles the adventures and misadventures of Hiccup Horrendous Haddock the Third as he tries to pass the important initiation test of his Viking clan, the Tribe of the Hairy Hooligans, by catching and training a dragon.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,808,474 books! | Top bar: Always visible