How to Train Your Dragon by Cressida Cowell

How to Train Your Dragon (original 2003; edition 2010)

by Cressida Cowell

Member:cemmom
Title:How to Train Your Dragon
Authors:Cressida Cowell
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2010), Edition: 1, Paperback, 240 pages

How to Train Your Dragon by Cressida Cowell (2003)

English (92)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (94)
The whole 'series' looks awfully darn cute.
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
This was so much fun to listen to! Think Hagar the Horrible meets Harry Potter and you get the gest of this first book in Cowell's delightful children's book series. Read by the incomparable David Tennant, I pretty much laughed, chuckled and snorted my way through this one. Who knew Vikings and Dragons would make such a comic team! Hiccup - son of the tribe's Viking chief - makes a wonderful child hero, along with his band of friends and terrorizers. Toothless, Hiccup's dragon, is quite the show stealer of this story, along with Hiccup's granddad, Wrinkles. Cowell has a wonderful imagination and a gift for humour. The serious adult reader that I am cannot wait to start listening to the next book in the series! ( )
  lkernagh | Apr 4, 2015 |
Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III is a skinny kid and not really expected to live up to his father Stoick the Vast's reputation as Viking chief of the Hooligan tribe, let alone his long name. From the very first page when he and his fellow initiates are sent into a dragon cave to get their dragons, you know that shenanigans will abound; what you don't know is exactly how hard Hiccup will have to work to become a Hero.

On the recommendation of several fellow LTers, I listened to the audio of this kid's story read by David Tennant. His hilarious narration was worth it, and I enjoyed every over-the-top and ridiculous adventure Hiccup and Toothless, and their friends and enemies. It's definitely a kid's story, lots of jokes that are the equivalent of fart jokes (even just the names of the characters are meant to get a laugh), and very different from the movie but every bit as enjoyable. I'm still puzzling over how Hiccup can be "the third" when his father's name is Stoick, but you know... whatever. Recommended. ( )
  bell7 | Mar 24, 2015 |
Personal Response: I thoroughly enjoyed this read, full of comedy, heroism, rooting for the underdog, and the believable science fiction dragons. There are parts that will make kids, boys especially, laugh out loud.

Curricular Connections: This would make a sensible study of book vs. movie, as I found them not only different in story, but different in feel. The social issue of brains vs. braun is presented lightly, and is a good conversation starter.
  LeslieRivver | Mar 14, 2015 |
This book is about a Viking boy named Hiccup III. Hiccup is not an ordinary boy, and he is the son of the chief. Everybody expects Hiccup to be the best but unfortunately he is called Hiccup the Useless and he is the worst. Then one day, he tries to become a real hero by passing the final test. But he gets everybody exiled from the tribe because his dragon almost killed all the dragons. So, it ended it to a big dragon fight. After that, he shouts at his dad about what kind of a dad he is! But then, the chief finds the biggest dragon ever. Everybody then finds out that Hiccup can speak to dragons, which is illegal. But, he ends up saving the day.
I like this adventured packed book because it about a person he shows everybody his strength and not his weaknesses.
I would rate this book 7 out of 10. ( )
  AB4Books | Jan 8, 2015 |

Cressida Cowellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Doyle, GerardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lenting, InekeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pickering, JimmyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tennant, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my good friend, Toothless - H.H.H. III
The translator would like to dedicate this book to her brother, Caspar, with love and admiration.
There were dragons when I was a boy.

AR 6.6, Pts 5

Chronicles the adventures and misadventures of Hiccup Horrendous Haddock the Third as he tries to pass the important initiation test of his Viking clan, the Tribe of the Hairy Hooligans, by catching and training a dragon.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,787,450 books! | Top bar: Always visible