Soul Serenade: Rhythm, Blues & Coming of Age…

Soul Serenade: Rhythm, Blues & Coming of Age Through Vinyl (edition 2016)

by Rashod Ollison (Author), Kim Arney (Designer), Gayatri Patnaik (Editor), Gabi Anderson (Cover designer)

Title:Soul Serenade: Rhythm, Blues & Coming of Age Through Vinyl
Authors:Rashod Ollison (Author)
Other authors:Kim Arney (Designer), Gayatri Patnaik (Editor), Gabi Anderson (Cover designer)
Info:Beacon Press (2016), 240 pages
Tags:autobiography, soul music, Arkansas, memoir

Soul Serenade: Rhythm, Blues & Coming of Age Through Vinyl by Rashod Ollison

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
(For an Early Reviewer copy)
The tagline, description, and even the title of the book did not match expectations as I read the book. This memoir of Ollison's had me waiting and wondering when soul music was going to come in and match the events in his life as they unfolded. I had truly wanted music to be his guide, his family, a tutor explaining why the rain fell, why a cut bled. Getting past this shortcoming, the book turned into a lesson of history, exploration and race, in Arkansas during the identity and belonging period that America went through in the Seventies, and the me-me-me, glam-it-up and show-it-off of the Eighties. The anguish Rashid Ollison felt when his father left, the tumultuous arguments with his siblings and extended family, and the rough years of childhood when looking for your own place in society, and meaning of life, are very well laid out by Ollison. His writing is above par, yet the tale was wandering at times. ( )
  jimcripps | Jan 19, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I thought this was a really good memoir. It was an interesting jaunt throughout and I enjoyed the way he wrote about his emotions and feelings of his childhood. While reading I felt that I was reading a story, not just another boring memoir. Although I do want to know where the lives of his sisters and his mom ended up, maybe that could be his next book.
  MaeCee18 | Oct 24, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It took me a while to get into this book- about 1/3 of the way through, however, I really found it engaging. The author's tone is open and honest and he gives a heartfelt account of his childhood and the events that shaped him. It also showcased the role of family- especially parents- in grooming us as we grow. ( )
  kerinlo | Aug 7, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Simply outstanding. This matter of fact memoir will speak to anyone that grew up poor and different in the south, regardless of race. Though the entire work rang true, the book really captured me about half way through. I believe this is where the author was old enough to really recollect and process the turmoil of his life. Filled with sadness and triumph, I highly recommend this book. ( )
  dmerrell | Jul 23, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is the story of family, growing up, personal identity, and how music can connect all of those things in a person's life. It is an autobiography of an African-American boy growing up in the South in the late 20th century. Rashod tells of his family's travails and constant upheavals, the struggles they faced as a family and as individuals, and his coming to terms with his own sexuality. Music is a constant source of expression, comfort, and surrogate family support for Rashod. This is a compelling story of love, life, loss, and redemption and the power of music to bridge those life moments. ( )
  loafhunter13 | May 11, 2017 |
I dedicate this book to my parents,

Royce Diane Smith-Ollison and Raymond Ollison Jr.

Without them, I would have no story.
The picture revealed the happiness I never knew.

American culture and music critic Rashod Ollison describes his childhood in rural Arkansas with his distant, hardworking mother and his itinerant, music loving father. He talks of the frequent shifts to new homes and new schools, his extended family, and his awareness of his developing same-sex-attraction.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Rashod Ollison's book Soul Serenade: Rhythm, Blues & Coming of Age Through Vinyl was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,079,060 books! | Top bar: Always visible