The Gods of HP Lovecraft by Aaron J French

The Gods of HP Lovecraft

by Aaron J. French (Editor)

Other authors: Laird Barron (Contributor), Rachel Caine (Contributor), Christopher Golden (Contributor), Joe R. Lansdale (Contributor), David Liss (Contributor)9 more, Bentley Little (Contributor), Jonathan Maberry (Contributor), Seanan McGuire (Contributor), James A. Moore (Contributor), Adam Nevill (Contributor), Brett J. Talley (Contributor), Donald Tyson (Commentary), Martha Wells (Contributor), Douglas Wynne (Contributor)

8330211,914 (3.68)1 / 17

Great Lovecraftian Stories

Excellent anthology focusing, one tale each, on the ÛÏgods‰Û and alien races featured in the works of H.P. Lovecraft. Some standout stories include ‰ÛÏIn Their Presence‰Û by Christopher Golden & James A Moore, ‰ÛÏIn the Mad Mountains‰Û by Joe R Lansdale, and ‰ÛÏA Dying of the Light‰Û by Rachel Caine, though all the tales were well done. Strongly recommended to fans of Lovecraft seeking fresh new approaches to his familiar material. ( )
  michaeladams1979 | Oct 11, 2018 |
As a collection of short stories, it's standard fare; some stories being very good, while most being middling or dreadful. I have to give it an especially low reading because of the audiobook performance which is godawful. The narrator has very low affect, and his accents when attempted range from adequate (cowpoke), to barely-there (Caribbean), to completely baffling (Innsmouth). I struggled to finish this as a result, and only the fact that the last story in the collection was from the stellar Seanan McGuire (a name butchered by the narrator) kept me going to the end.

If you're looking for more Lovecraftian fare, maybe borrow this one from the library, but don't get the audiobook. ( )
  Dez.dono | Mar 27, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book in exchange for an HONEST review.

It took me a LONG time to finish this book. I like Lovecraft, not an addict, but I like his works well enough. I could NOT get into this book. I felt like the majority of the stories were "forced"..like an author with a good idea but no idea of where to go with the story.

Call the Name by Adam Nevill (about Cthulhu) started out OK but ended up a long, drawn out narrative that simply fizzled in the end. MOST of the stories were this way for me. All of the authors are "good" writers but they either don't know much about Lovecraft or they had no idea what they wanted to write and just started to put words on the page.

Perhaps the best story in the collection (for me) was The Dark Gates by Martha Wells (about Yog-Sothoth). It had a steampunk flavor to it and I really enjoyed the story until the ending when she seemed to FORCE Yog-Sothoth into the story to make it fit the book. If she would have continued with her story (forgot about Yog-Sothoth) I would have loved it.

I also enjoyed Seanan McGuire's story (Down, Deep Down, Below the Waves) about the Deep Ones. Not her best work but I am a McGuire fan (mainly from her zombie series written under the name Mira Grant - Newsflesh trilogy) and enjoy her first person style of writing.

The best part (s) of the book were at the end of each story...consisting of a narrative description of the god the story centered on and a decent piece of artwork. I would have enjoyed the books more if it had been an "encyclopedia" of Lovecraft with the descriptions and the art...minus the stories.

Perhaps if I was more "into Lovecraft" I would have enjoyed the book more...2 out of 5 stars is my rating. ( )
  Disco_grinch | Dec 19, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Gods of HP Lovecraft is an anthology easily enjoyed by those new to the twelve principal deities of the Lovecraftian Mythos. If, like me, a reader doesn't have much experience reading Lovecraft, the commentary on each deity, written by Donald Tyson, is a simple way to familiarize oneself prior to reading the story. Though, it would have been more practical for newbies (or those needing a quick refresher) if each commentary were presented before the new stories, not after.

While there are hits and misses, par for the course in reading anthologies, the clear standouts are the artwork and Seanan McGuire's "Down, Deep Down, Below the Waves."

3.5 stars ( )
  flying_monkeys | Dec 13, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Part of a wave of Lovecraftian books at the moment. I was most interested in the David Liss story, which I really enjoyed. ( )
  lanceparkin | Oct 4, 2016 |
THE GODS OF H. P. LOVECRAFT is a dream of an anthology. For anyone who loves Lovecraft, August Derleth, Robert E. Howard, and any of the others who have kept this mythos alive, make some room on your bookshelf. The anthology collects the twelve principal deities of the Lovecraftian Mythos, hands them over to some of the world’s best writers and stands back. There isn’t one name I did not know and many already on my own bookshelves, so this really is a treat. As if that wasn’t enough we also get some great artwork and individual commentary on each of the deities by Donald Tyson.

STARRED Review - H. P. Lovecraft and his Mythos have seen a resurgence in popularity in the last 10 years, in both popular and scholarly circles, but this collection stands out among the crowd. Editor French selected 12 of the key deities from Lovecraft’s universe and handed them to some of today’s best and most popular dark-fiction writers, including Jonathan Maberry, Bentley Little, David Liss, Joe Lansdale, Christopher Golden, and Seanan McGuire, with the direction that they should craft a story from their own imagination, in their own voice, but featuring their assigned Lovecraftian god and paying homage to that character’s origin. The result is a book that serves as an excellent introduction to the Mythos for novices but that also will be grabbed up by Lovecraft enthusiasts, who will love seeing their beloved cosmic horror deities of the past being reinterpreted by some of their favorite writers of today. Even taken out of the Lovecraftian frame, all 12 stories are scary and well crafted with plenty to offer readers looking for a post-Halloween fix. Take, for example, horror up-and-comer Douglas Wynne’s “Rattled,” a terrifying story featuring Yig, Father of Serpents, that also works as a moving coming-of-age tale. This volume also contains original artwork and a commentary on each deity by Lovecraft scholar Donald Tyson. These essays are particularly compelling as readers encounter them immediately after being immersed in each God’s terrifying world. This is a must for all horror collections.

French, Aaron J.Editorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Talley, Brett J.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tyson, DonaldCommentarysecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wells, MarthaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wynne, DouglasContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

"The gods of H. P. Lovecraft: a brand new anthology that collects the twelve principal deities of the Lovecraftian Mythos and sets them loose within its pages. Featuring the biggest names in horror and dark fantasy, including many NY Times best-sellers, full of original fiction and artwork, and individual commentary on each of the deities by Donald Tyson.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Aaron J French's book The Gods of HP Lovecraft was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,563,462 books! | Top bar: Always visible