Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things by…

Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things

by Martina McAtee

sooo soo sooo good! I absolutely loved this book. Great story and amazing characters! I need the next book like now! ( )
  miss_booklion | Nov 6, 2016 |
I'm glad that Quinn's back since he's (and Donovan and Neoma) the only rational person in that whole set of characters; but I really don't like Tristin. Her actions before and after Quinn's death may be understandable but that does not mean that they're justifiable.

How does my feelings toward Tristin and Quinn got to do with anything?

Because I am team Ember/Mace. Why does Quinn get to come back at the expense of another? Ember's endured a lot - like a lot - and she lost Mace. Granted, Mace came back as little ball of light but come on.

Ha. Kai and Rhys. ( )
  Ayanami_Faerudo | Jun 16, 2016 |
I couldn’t help but feel something familiar when I started this story. Reminded me of certain other books I’d read. That’s not uncommon when there are so many stories out there. So if this happens to you, don’t stop reading. It’s the author’s job to spin their own tale, to move from familiar to fresh, to new. And that happens soon in this book.

With so many characters, it’s hard to discuss all of them. I do have some favorites though. There’s Ember, or course. Her powers are out of control. She’s a danger to herself and all those around her.

Then there’s Mace. He’s a grim, a reaper of sorts. He has to consume souls to survive. He’s what you’d call a good bad guy. Sexy, snarky, and as spicy as his name implies. Like the chemical spray, he’ll burn ya.

Ember’s first encounter with Mace ends with a shovel to the back of his head. Their next encounter is electric. They’re like magnets. Each one’s power is drawn to the others, whether they like each other or not. The humorous dialogue and situations lighten the mood.

A couple more I want to mention are Kai and Rhys. One human. One werewolf. Both are a mess of anxiety and unrequited love. Puppy love.

After Ember’s father dies, she’s lost and alone. But not for long. She’s soon whisked away to a new life. One filled with supernatural beings from werewolves, to witches, to reapers, and more. And, she’s one of them. Except, no one seems to know just what she is.

Living with a wolf pack isn’t easy. They are all touchy feely and Ember abhors being touched. She adjusts and soon becomes a part of the rambunctious family.

It was a lot of fun getting to know the pack. It doesn’t take long to recognize who’s who. They really do have two natures, and they seem to blend together.

Lots of questions to be answered. What happened twelve years ago? Why can’t anyone remember? What does the Grove know? And why is Ember alive when she’s supposed to be dead?

I usually fly through books, especially those I loved as much as this one. Yet, at just over 500 pages, it took me several days. I did have to sleep and show up for work. But, the book stayed with me. I thought about it while at work, wondering about the answers I’d get. I’d crawl into bed at night, determined to stay awake and finish it, falling asleep and startling awake when the book fell out of my hands.

What’s funny is, as anxious as I was to get to the end, once I got there, I didn’t want it to end. I was that into it. That connected to the characters. And I loved the world the author created.

The good news is there’s another book in the series coming out in 2016. I’ll be waiting for it.

One for all fantasy fans, no matter your age. ( )
  laura-thomas | Feb 2, 2016 |
The title and cover for Children Shouldn’t Play with Dead Things by Martina McAtee reached out and grabbed me by the short hairs and said , “READ ME!” So I did. I was captured from the opening pages and Martina McAtee never let me go.

Children Shouldn’t Play with Dead Things is an adventure, some fun, some deadly. An amazing and gripping story. I was fully engulfed in Ember’s story, devouring the words, sometimes laughing, sometimes in sorrow, sometimes shocked and angry.

I LOVED this novel and hated for it to end and I will be looking for Book II in the Reanimator Series, His Soul To Take, coming in 2016. You can bet the house I will be snatching it up, and Martina, PLEASE WRITE FASTER.

I received a copy of Children Shouldn’t Play with Dead Things by Martina McAtee in return for an honest review.

To read my full review visit me at http://www.fundinmental.com/martina-mcatee-creates-an-amazing-world-in-children-... ( )
  sherry69 | Nov 21, 2015 |

17 year old Ember Denning has made an art of isolating herself. She prefers the dead. She spends her days skipping school in old cemeteries and her nights hiding from her alcoholic father at the funeral home where she works. When her own father dies, Ember learns her whole life is a lie. Standing in the cemetery that’s been her sanctuary, she’s threatened by the most beautiful boy she’s ever seen and rescued by two people who claim to be her family. They say she’s special, that she has a supernatural gift like them…they just don’t know exactly what it is. They take her to a small Florida town, where Ember’s life takes a turn for the weird. She’s living with her reaper cousins, an orphaned werewolf pack, a faery and a human genius. Ember’s powers are growing stronger, morphing into something bigger than anything anybody anticipated. Ember has questions but nobody has answers. Nobody knows what she is. They only know her mysterious magical gift is trying to kill them and that beautiful dangerous boy from the cemetery may be the only thing standing between her and death. As Ember’s talents are revealed so are the secrets her father hid and those in power who would seek to destroy her. What’s worse, saving Ember has put her cousins in danger and turned her friend’s lives upside down. Ember must learn to embrace her magic or risk losing the family she’s pieced together.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 10 Sep 2015 09:18:13 -0400)

Martina McAtee is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,772,470 books! | Top bar: Always visible