Philosophy as a Way of Life: Spiritual…

Philosophy as a Way of Life: Spiritual Exercises from Socrates to Foucault (1993)

by Pierre Hadot

Recently added byprivate library, j.a.lesen, Eric_Lavoie, pburrows, d60c, dustinchristian, tyloria

Hadot presents philosophy as "spiritual exercises" through essays on Socrates, Marcus Aurelius, and others. In addition to the exercises the book includes essays on the methods of philosophy, discussions of Socrates and Marcus Aurelius. The essay on Marcus Aurelius was enhanced by my concurrent reading of his Meditations which can be seen as an example of the way of practicing philosophy described in Hadot's book. The book concludes with a section on "Themes" where the nature of happiness and understanding the world through philosophizing are considered. He concludes with the title essay that recommends practicing philosophy as 'a way of life'. This was an intriguing and invigorating read that, as with all good books, left this reader with as many questions as it did answers. ( )
  jwhenderson | Jul 27, 2010 |
This is a great little book of interviews, mixing the biographical with the philosophical. One can get a good overview of Hadot's approach in a very accessible way. The concept of spiritual/ philosophical exercises is extremely powerful and a great way into Ancient Philosophy. ( )
  agl1 | Jun 24, 2009 |
Mr Administrator, Dear colleagues, Ladies and Gentlemen, "Each one of you expects two things from me on the occasion of this inaugural lecture: first of all, that I express my thanks to those who made my presence here possible and second, that I present the method that I will use to carry out the task entrusted to me."

This book presents a history of spiritual exercises from Socrates to early Christianity, an account of their decline in modern philosophy, and a discussion of the different conceptions of philosophy that have accompanied the trajectory and fate of the theory and practice of spiritual exercises. Hadot's book demonstrates the extent to which philosophy has been, and still is, above all else a way of seeing and of being in the world.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:46 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,116,226 books! | Top bar: Always visible