Pop. 1280 by Jim Thompson

Pop. 1280 (original 1964; edition 1990)

by Jim Thompson

Member:SimonLarsen
Title:Pop. 1280
Authors:Jim Thompson
Info:Vintage (1990), Paperback, 217 pages
Collections:Your library, Kindle collection (eBooks)
Tags:august, august 2012, 2012, kindle, ebook

Pop. 1280 by Jim Thompson (1964)

English (13)  Spanish (3)  French (1)  All (17)
Well written, easy to connect with setting and characters. My first foray into Jim Thompson. A few more on my shelf. These are quick reads that, for the most part, don't require much thinking to understand the story and characters, wher eit might be heading. Straightforward story-telling., almost with a made-for-TV feel to it (which I don't offer as a negative but more about the compactness of the story). ( )
  Mike_O | Jul 7, 2017 |
I just live the way this guy write his stories they seem simple they often start out that way but sooner rather than later he twists and turns them around so that you stop guessing because you just know HE Mr Thompson is in total control and all you have to do to stay on course is keep turning the pages and yes, that's oh so easy to do. ( )
1 vote nikon | Feb 11, 2017 |
A dark Br'er Rabbit clone does restoration comedy in the American South. Fun read until it goes off the rails in the final dozen pages. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
Lately I’ve been in the mood for some pulp and noirish movies. Because of that I’ve just seen the movie “Coup de Torchon” (Clean Slate) by Bertrand Tavernier, which is loosely based on the book Pop.1280 by Jim Thomson. I just had to get my hands on the book… This is pulp fiction at its darkest. The story is dark, cynical and offensive, the last due in part to the time. The abrupt ending puzzles me though but still. There is humor within these pages to lighten up things. I laughed quite a bit at some of the antics in here. It’s the darkly hilarious, savagely painful, twisted-as-hell tale of one man’s psychotic journey into self-absorption and murder. Thompson does something you might not think possible, that maybe one of his psychotics isn't all bad, that maybe does do some good. As long as you don't become part of his plan, that is.

It takes awhile for you to get your bearings, and only then do you know what you are really looking at. I was genuinely shocked at the depth lurking beneath Nick Corey and his story.
  antao | Dec 10, 2016 |
Psychopathic sheriff trapped in ennui and nihilism finds comfort in food and sex, becomes murder-instrument of God, and can't rid himself of his aw shucks grin. The inspiration of tv's beloved Andy Griffith Show. ( )
  Michael.Xolotl | Nov 11, 2015 |

Moya, Antonio-PrometeoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prometeo Moya, AntonioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tiirinen, MikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Veraldi, AttilioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Well, sir, I should have been sitting pretty, just about as pretty as a man could sit.

As high sheriff of Potts County, Nick Corey spends most of his time eating, sleeping and avoiding trouble. If only people--especially some troublesome pimps, his foul-tempered wife, and his half-witted brother-in-law--would stop pushing him around. Because when Nick is pushed, he begins to kill . . . or to make others do his killing for him!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:31 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,064,325 books! | Top bar: Always visible