Bear on a Bike

Bear on a Bike (edition 1999)

Member:mommiemonk
Title:Bear on a Bike
Authors:
Info:Scholastic (1999), Paperback, 32 pages
Tags:fiction

Bear on a Bike by Stella Blackstone

This book is so bright and colorful! It's jam packed with great scenes. Each page has so much more to look at and discuss than just what the text is describing. ( )
  lissabeth21 | Oct 3, 2017 |
Tags: Picture Book, Bears, Bike

Summary: This picture book story is about a young boy who finds pleasure in following a bear, a bear on a bike wherever it goes. During the story the boy followed the bear on a bike to the forest, seaside area, super market, a really neat castle all before the bear leaves and travels to far outer space.

Personal Reaction: I enjoy this book and react due to this being my son's very first book he actually really understood and enjoy having read to him over and over. His love for animals, mikes, and out space really relate to him by this book and to me from what the bear on a bike does. When I see, hear, or read this book, my son comes to mind and in my thoughts. The pictures really capture a young childs mind and make them remember not only this book, but all the places a person really goes to throughout their life, with the exception of out space unless the really do go.

Classroom Extensions: This story teaches kids about thinking about singing, how to rhyme, small details of objects, various images from the colors being bright and thoughtful. Shows kids that anything is possible and to use their creative powers and not just think real world and what really can happen, but what can happen when you dream. ( )
  armyflyingguy | Jul 9, 2014 |
Love this book!

The story is about a boy who follows a bear wherever it goes-to the market, forest, island, seaside, and a castle and finally bades it farewell as it leaves for outer space.

The rhyme is perfect.

My first impression of the pictures was that they were too busy. But after a few reads I began identifying cool stuff about the illustrations and absolutely adore them.

Lots of small details are meticulously included. One of the rhymes is:
I'm going to the forest,
Where fearsome creatures prowl.
Where raccoons play and bobcats snarl,
And hungry foxes howl.
A raccoon actually throws a pine cone at a howling fox. Now, how better could a playing raccoon be picturized?

The people on the seaside page come in interesting shapes.
The coloring scheme has a pattern that's reused. For example, on the castle page, some of the costumes have black and white stripes. This is repeated in other bear books from Barefoot illustrated by the same artist.

The illustrations are whimsical, and bright to capture a child's attention.

The awesome thing about this book is that I find something new every time I read it.
Each page is a treasure trove as it offers numerous 'show and tell' resources for kids.
I ask my daughter to find and count the number of bees, flowers, and birds on the pages. It is a great way to teach kids to count and find objects.

I noticed that there is another version of the book with a hot-air balloon and a wagon. Not sure why they've been removed from the newer version. But they are great too. The prairie animals and the colorful parrots are a beauty.

This book is a keeper!

Reviewed by http://www.taletrove.com ( )
  taletrove | Apr 10, 2014 |
I enjoyed the obvious rhyme scheme of this story. The repeated lines “Where are you going bear, please wait for me” signified the strong relationship between the boy and the bear. I gathered that the bear represented a strong personality and someone who loves to explore. The illustrations and the repeated line above made me, as the reader, feel that the boy isn’t as adventurous but likes to tag along with his bear friend. This can be related in friendships because sometimes children with opposite personalities connect and build strong relationships.
The images were culturally appropriate. For example, when the bear and boy traveled to the river, castle, seaside and market, other animals were represented, as were different ethnicities in people. The buyers and sellers at the market were all different races and dressed differently. I liked this small detail because it made the setting realistic and it was humorous to me that the author gave this bear such humanistic qualities.
I liked that the author chose a bear and not another child for the African American boy to play with. It made the story more entertaining, unique, and can interest readers who love animals. I think the big idea was that there is no adventure too big or too small and it doesn’t matter the company. This is described in the story because the bear and boy traveled from somewhere remote like a river, to somewhere extravagant like a castle and then outer space. I also enjoyed that the reader can think of the bear as the boys imaginary friend. I did not realize this until the end of the book, which made me think more into the author’s word choice and made me investigate, which was enjoyable. ( )
  ngwiaz1 | Sep 17, 2013 |
This is one of my all time favorite kids books. It is simply perfect. I love everything from the gorgeous, colorful illustrations to the lovely rhymes. All three of my children have loved this book, and I'm going to be sad when the youngest is too old for it. I give this book constantly as a gift for baby showers or for 1st birthday parties. I cannot recommend it highly enough. ( )
  Camellia1 | Jun 12, 2012 |

Bear on a Bike

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:45 -0400)

Bear uses a variety of vehicles to travel to destinations which include the seaside, a castle, and even outer space.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,983,744 books! | Top bar: Always visible