Lust & Wonder: A Memoir by Augusten…

Lust & Wonder: A Memoir

by Augusten Burroughs

2441970,450 (3.75)1

I fell in love with Augusten Burroughs back when Running With Scissors was released. Such a crazy tale, offensive to some, but an unforgettable and well-written one. I loved his follow-up, Dry, even more, despite its more serious tone. Some of his other memoirs have been hit or miss for me, and while I enjoyed them all for the most part, I didn't think they were as good as those first two. Lust & Wonder, however, ranks up there in the top 3 for me.

This one more or less picks up where Dry left off. After a relapse but then finally seeming to keep the alcoholism at bay, this memoir focuses primarily on Augusten's long-term relationships while living in New York City. Though still somewhat of an eccentric person, he does a little growing up during this period, but like many people, struggles to find that special someone to spend the rest of his life with.

I love Augusten's writing style. And I love listening to him read his own audiobooks. I could listen to the man read for days on end. He can be very blunt and in-your-face, but he's also the type of writer I'd love to just sit down and have a chat with. I'm not sure what's on the horizon for Burroughs' writing future, but I do hope he still has some tales to tell. ( )
  indygo88 | Mar 20, 2019 |
I'll admit I'm a Burroughs fan. That being said I did truly enjoy this book Broken into three sections each of which chronicles his life with three different boyfriends. The first part he's involved with a an already established writer who sees himself as an utter failure as he has not published again. Augusten slowly but surely begins to question if he was ever truly in love with this man. The 2nd he's involved with Dennis. The pair move in together and after time build a 3 story house together in Massachusetts. Unfortunately thing finally come to head for the pair of them while living there. Dennis keeps his resentment all bottled inside. Upon receiving an e-mail from Augusten he gives him a several pages long list of his flaws. The final 3rd of the book is devoted to Christopher Augusten's always jovial agent. Augusten had tried to deny his ardor for him for years including his time while with Dennis. But it seems in Christopher he has finally met his match. Christopher is the perfect foil or diffuser for Augusten's worry ridden life. This one is much lighter than some of his previous books. I almost hate to say it but this one leaves you with an almost good feeling for Augusten and Christopher. ( )
  ChrisWeir | Dec 27, 2018 |
As someone who LOVED "Running With Scissors" and thought "Dry" and "Wolf at the Table" were pretty damn good, I was pretty disappointed with this one. It was a little self-serving and arrogant, which I guess I never really got from his other books. The writing in this book seemed very disjointed and "stream of consciousness" rather than being a true story. The end especially felt like he had more to say about unimportant things but only had twenty pages left so he crammed in a bunch of nonsense about gems and jewels and stones. I found myself somewhat skimming over those parts because it came out of nowhere and was so dull. I'm not a writer so who am I to judge? It was just hard to read and kind of boring. I also felt like he was so difficult to be in a relationship with and chose terrible people to have in his life and wondered why it never worked out. I just wanted to scream at him sometimes. Oh well! One bad book out of four (that I've read) isn't bad. If you're new to this author, try another book first. ( )
  thisismelissaanne | Oct 29, 2018 |
His books never disappoint! His memoirs are all delicious! I have read almost all of his books (I haven't yet read Sellevision)- I love his way of telling it like it is - definitely no sugar coating here. This latest installment was just as fascinating and entertaining as the previous ones. I can't wait for the next in the series! (I certainly hope he writes another one!! ( )
  merrittfamily1990 | May 1, 2018 |
Burroughs seems to unfairly overvalue his partners, devalue himself in supplication, and as payment require they read his mind and be too responsible for his emotional regulation. When they fail and he realizes he was compromising himself for a mere mortal, he mostly sees his own pain and hates them. I feel sad and frustrated for everyone in this book.
One thing that confuses me--he realizes that Jeep guy doesn't love him and that he will never dream about Jeep guy again, but then he seems so happy he decides Christopher is the Jeep guy.
Another thing that confuses me--what kind of messed up therapist suggests mandatory sex sessions to anyone, let alone a sexual abuse victim.
This book troubles me. Burroughs' other books have the feel of triumph because he survived, but this one portends trouble that might currently be causing suffering.
  rosechimera | Mar 16, 2018 |
Just when I broke my sobriety and started drinking again in moderate and controlled measure exactly like a normal person, I met this guy who wasn't just a guy but a writer, and not just a writer but the author of one of my favorite books.

"In chronicling the development and demise of the different relationships he's had while living in New York, Augusten Burroughs examines what it means to be in love, what it means to be in lust, and what it means to be figuring it all out. With Augusten's unique and singular observations and his own unabashed way of detailing both the horrific and the humorous, Lust and Wonder is an intimate and honest memoir that his legions of fans have been waiting for"--… (more)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Augusten Burroughs's book Lust & Wonder was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,760,413 books! | Top bar: Always visible