The Mystery of the Blue Train by Agatha…

The Mystery of the Blue Train (1928)

by Agatha Christie

Series: Hercule Poirot Mystery (6)

English (39)  Danish (2)  Spanish (2)  Indonesian (1)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (47)
Chosen because I have read a lot of disappointing novels lately and wanted something reliable, which this was.

Ruth Kettering is murdered and priceless rubies stolen from her on the Blue Train across France to Nice. Also travelling on that train is Katherine Grey, who has just inherited a fortune, Ruth's estranged husband Derek, Derek's former mistress Mirelle, and (of course) Hercule Poirot.

I enjoyed the first half of the story very much. There were humorous passages involving Poirot's egotism and Katherine's friends, but the actual solution was a little convoluted and left me slightly confused.

SPOILERS

What exactly was the Comte de la Roche's involvement? What money was Mirelle promising to get for him? ( )
  pgchuis | Sep 1, 2017 |
I decided one day that I should start listening to audiobooks while driving, at the gym, doing household chores, etc. I had always wanted to read Agatha Christie, so I started there pretty much on a whim.

This novel is part of the Poirot series of detective novels.

It's difficult to review a mystery without giving spoilers and I never write spoilers in reviews, so I'll just say that I enjoyed getting to know Poirot and his friends better and I loved hearing how the story unfolded in the end. ( )
  ktlavender | Jul 17, 2017 |
A solid Poirot outing as Christie begins to hit her stride. And as a fan of train settings, I had all the more reason to like this one (even though trains don't dominate here). ( )
  jimgysin | Jun 19, 2017 |
Another great Hercule Poirot mystery by the queen of mysteries. In my opinion the book is much better than the movie, which didn’t convey the story as well as Mrs. Christie wrote it. It was a very well written book with an intricate plot, difficult to unwind—as her books generally are. You will notice Poirot had a much more foreign dialogue than her later books, which, I think, used to confer him more charm and appeal. I found it interesting that divorce is mentioned as the only possible alternative to one of the characters: in 1928 Mrs. Christie’s husband asked her for a divorce… Highly recommend this book for Agatha Christie’s fans. ( )
  MrsRK | Nov 21, 2016 |
I know when I pick up an Agatha Christie book that I am going to enjoy the read and The Mystery Of The Blue Train did not disappoint. When the daughter of an American millonaire travels to the south of France on the luxury Blue Train, and is found dead upon arrival, suspicion falls upon her estranged husband. But Hercule Poirot is on the case and he has other ideas.

Although it wasn’t difficult to figure out what happened, this story nevertheless held my attention and was very readable. I found Poirot a little more sympathetic than he usually is as he seemed to actually care about Katherine Grey, the young woman caught up in this murder.

Originally published in novel form in 1928, this story was developed from one of her short stories, “The Plymouth Express” and is notable for the first mention of the fictional village of Mary St. Mead which was eventually to become the home of Miss Marple. I have read that Agatha Christie did not consider this book one of better ones, but I most certainly found this a very satisfying read. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Aug 14, 2016 |
Cuando el lujoso Tren Azul llega a Niza, un guardia intenta despertar a Ruth Kettering para anunciarle su parada. Pero ella no despertará nunca más, ya que un disparo de gran calibre la ha matado, desfigurando sus rasgos hasta volverla casi irreconocible. Además, sus valiosísimos rubíes han desaparecido. El principal sospechoso del crimen es el arruinado marido de la dama, Derek. Pero Poirot no está convencido, y decide hacer una reconstrucción de ese día hasta llegar a la clave del asesinato...
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Christie, Agathaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fraser, HughNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mallorquí, J.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moffatt, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pipinen, AarreTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Perilous Journeys of Hercule Poirot: Death on the Nile, Murder in Mesopotamia, Mystery of the Blue Train by Agatha Christie

Murder on Board: Three Complete Mystery Novels: The Mystery of the Blue Train / What Mrs. McGillicuddy Saw / Death in the Air by Agatha Christie

Murderers Abroad (5-in-1) by Agatha Christie

Agatha Christie Crime Collection: The Listerdale Mystery / The Murder at the Vicarage / The Mystery of the Blue Train by Agatha Christie

1920s Agatha Christie, Vol. 3: The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, The Big Four, The Mystery of the Blue Train by Agatha Christie

A Poirot Quintet: The Murder of Roger Ackroyd / The Mystery of the Blue Train / Dumb Witness / After the Funeral / Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie

Has the adaptation

Dedicated to
two distinguished members
of the O. F. D.
CARLOTTA and PETER
It was close on midnight when a man crossed the Place de la Concorde.
This is a reworking of the plot of the short story "The Plymouth Express."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425130266, Mass Market Paperback)

All aboard Le Train Bleu, bound for the Riviera. Among the passengers is heiress Ruth Kettering, bailing out of a doomed marriage and en route to see her former lover. Pity she's found murdered in her luxury compartment. All Hercule Poirot has for clues is the victim's secret life, and what unfolds is positively scandalous.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:00 -0400)

Bound for the Riviera, detective Hercule Poirot has boarded Le Train Bleu, an elegant, leisurely means of travel, free of intrigue. Then he meets Ruth Kettering. The American heiress - bailing out of a doomed marriage - is en route to reconcile with her former lover. But by morning, her private affairs are made public when she is found murdered in her luxury compartment. The rumour of a strange man loitering in the victim's shadow is all Poirot has to go on. Until Mrs. Kettering's secret life begins to unfold...… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,033,180 books! | Top bar: Always visible