Honky Tonk Samurai (Hap and Leonard) by Joe…

Honky Tonk Samurai (Hap and Leonard)

by Joe R. Lansdale

Series: Hap and Leonard (9)

Might be interesting, but couldn't get past all the references to body functions and body odors. Fun repartee between the two main characters, but I just stopped listening to it. ( )
  Pmaurer | Jul 21, 2018 |
Honky Tonk Samurai starts off as a slow burn detective story reminiscent of '40s noir except with much more cussing. I admit, I have been reading these out of order so some of the character relationships were confusing but it quickly became clear. The one thing I think Lansdale excels at is dialogue. The banter between Hap and Leonard as well as the side characters amazing. There are times when I laughed so hard, my ribs hurt. However, there are more poignant times as well as harrowing trials. As the story unfolds, we learn of a deep conspiracy. If I have one complaint is Lansdale didn't explore the conspiracy deeper. The ending will leave you wanting more. ( )
  ericreeves3 | May 9, 2018 |
Well Hap and Leonard are back, along with Brett, and a lengthy appearance by Jim Bob Luke. This is one of the weaker books in the series, there is too much back and forth dialogue between Hap, Leonard, and when present Jim Bob, and the story takes forever to get going but the last 90 pages make it well worth the ride. ( )
  zmagic69 | Jun 10, 2016 |
Honky Tonk Samurai was written very good and the story was good. I don't know if I'm tired of the characters, or the plot just didn't enthrall me, or what, but I just didn't enjoy this entry in the Hap and Leonard series as much as their previous adventures. Still any Lansdale is head and shoulders above most fiction being written today. ( )
  bjkelley | Mar 17, 2016 |
I'll admit, I have never read any of the other books in the series and I picked this book up solely because the cover was so badass. Even though this book was the eleventh in the series I didn't feel as if I missed out on too much, they alluded to some other cases and characters but nothing big. Overall I enjoyed this quirky mystery novel about two best friends in the private eye business. Hal is a white trash rebel and Leonard is a big black gay veteren, together they combine their brains and brawn to tackle whatever cases they've been given. When a little old lady asks them for help finding her granddaughter, five years lost, they never imagine the trouble it will lead them to. Motorcycle gangs, the Dixie Mafia, high end escorts, fancy cars, and assassins that cut the balls off their victims for fun are just the tip of the iceberg. Good fun all around, I wouldn't mind reading more of the series, especially since it's a tv show now! ( )
  ecataldi | Mar 4, 2016 |

Joe R. Lansdaleprimary authorall editionscalculated
Harms, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

One week later, a woman named Lilly Buckner drops by their new PI office with a proposition: find her missing granddaughter, or she'll turn in a video of Leonard beating the dog abuser. The pair agrees to take on the cold case and soon discover that the used car dealership where her granddaughter worked is actually a front for a prostitution ring. What began as a missing-person case becomes one of blackmail and murder.

"Only Hap and Leonard would catch a cold case with hot cars, hot women, and ugly skinheads. The story starts simply enough when Hap, a former 60s activist and self-proclaimed white trash rebel, and Leonard, a tough black, gay Vietnam vet and Republican with an addiction to Dr. Pepper, are working a freelance surveillance job in East Texas. The uneventful stakeout is coming to an end when the pair witness a man abusing his dog. Leonard takes matters into his own fists, and now the bruised dog abuser wants to press charges. One week later, a woman named Lilly Buckner drops by their new PI office with a proposition: find her missing granddaughter, or she'll turn in a video of Leonard beating the dog abuser. The pair agrees to take on the cold case and soon discover that the used car dealership where her granddaughter worked is actually a front for a prostitution ring. The mystery of her disappearance only deepens from there."--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,384,863 books! | Top bar: Always visible