Something New: Tales From a Makeshift Bride…

Something New: Tales From a Makeshift Bride (2016)

by Lucy Knisley

Other authors: John Horstman (Afterword)

I was a little disappointed by the last couple books I read by Lucy Knisley, but this one was just plain fun and amusing. ( )
  villemezbrown | Jul 28, 2018 |
I saw this book on a library sale shelf, and I think I confused the author with someone else, because I wasn't expecting a graphic novel/comic. It started and ended interestingly, but the middle, full of wedding planning minutia dragged for me. (Maybe someone who's been through it would see more humor in her recounting?)

Lucy and John were lucky to have so many contacts that were able to assist with the wedding and save them money. Not everyone is going to have that. I do remember a friend saying though that she managed to do her wedding on a budget by considering venues that are not the typical ones--I think she ended up using the botanical gardens. So--it is possible even for the not-connected folks. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Jul 27, 2018 |
I received an ARC of this from NetGalley.
Lucy Knisley continues to provide funny and heartwarming stories from her personal life, while also showing interesting facts about the wedding industry. If you enjoyed Relish, you will be happy to find recipes as well as instructions for DIY projects. It's also full of wedding planning tips and fascinating wedding myths and traditions from different cultures. It might be my favorite book by her, and I'm not planning on getting married anytime soon. ( )
  karbrarian | Apr 28, 2018 |
I found this at the cutest comic book store, and I thought it would have been just perfect for me! I'm getting married in three weeks, and I too loved the X-files as a child! And the art's great! She's bisexual! Yeah! Getting it!

Turns out I don't actually "get" her. Within the first like, 10th of the book, she says something like, "Why is it so hard to get my extended family to come to my book signing in their hometown, and so easy to get them to fly across the country to watch me marry a man they don't know?" With the answer implied to be patriarchy. But I'm just like, do you go to the equivalent to a book signing for them? Go to, or organize, a party for a promotion? Go to their children's dance recitals? IDK. She answers her own question with a flow chart a few pages later, where it says that if there's no open bar don't go to a wedding that's like, next week. I'm like, there's your answer! Give 'em free booze and make your book signing a fun party! Patriarchy my butt. I doubt they'll go to your book signing if you were a dude, come on. It's a book signing, only your fans want to go. And there's other little bits like that, where I just go, "Huh? but... why?"

And then I went on goodreads to see if I was crazy. I'm not! Yay! Its not a baaaaaad book, though. I mean, I finished it. It was ok. But I wasn't particularly interested in her or or thoughts. ( )
  Joanna.Oyzon | Apr 17, 2018 |
Lucy Knisley is an extremely talented artist. I love her style. In "Something New" she describes the trials and tribulations of wedding planning. I recently went through similar experiences. If I wasn't constantly nodding in agreement, I was laughing out loud. Lucy Knisley's sequential art is consistently infused with humor and love. She takes life and makes it bright. ( )
  godmotherx5 | Apr 5, 2018 |

Lucy Knisleyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Horstman, JohnAfterwordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For all the other makeshift, and not so makeshift, brides and grooms out there. It doesn't matter if your wedding is impending or happened fify years ago or may someday happen in the future . . . Whether it's big or small or borrowed or blue . . . we're all joined in this matrimonial bond of occasional utter cluelessness.
And for Johnny who was game to marry into the dubious position of husband-to/fodder-for and autobiographical cartoonist spouse, and whose sweet handsome face I so love to draw.
And for my mom, who makes stuff happen. MOB: Thank you. I'm sorry, I love you.
Love, The Makeshift Bride
The implication that comes with writing a book is that you must be some sort of expert on your topic, which is hilarious when you consider my work.

In 2010, Lucy and her long-term boyfriend John broke up. Three long, lonely years later, John returned to New York, walked into Lucy's apartment, and proposed. This is not that story. It is the story of what came after: The Wedding.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,068,148 books! | Top bar: Always visible