Dying Light in Corduba by Lindsey Davis

Dying Light in Corduba (original 1996; edition 1999)

by Lindsey Davis

Member:kittyhorse
Title:Dying Light in Corduba
Authors:Lindsey Davis
Info:Warner (1999), Edition: First Edition, Paperback
Rating:***

A Dying Light in Corduba by Lindsey Davis (1996)

English (8)  Spanish (1)  All (9)
This is a typical Falco detective mystery set this time in Roman Spain. Here we get a close look at the commodities markets that supplied Rome. In this case the olive oil cartel where some of the key players are trying market manipulation and are not playing nicely. Falco is on hand to sort things out along with his pregnant girl friend and their dog Nux. Why anyone would take an expectant mother and an annoying dog halfway across the Empire to solve a murder mystery is beyond me. However, they are fun and keep our hero on his toes. ( )
  varielle | Jan 4, 2017 |
Another bit of fun from the Falco series, enjoyable reading for when you don't want to have to engage your brain. Davis manages to make Roman society sound remarkably like our own. 15 December 2016 ( )
  alanca | Dec 22, 2016 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
http://www.BookCrossing.com/journal/13409290 ( )
  Lunapilot | Jul 19, 2016 |
Marcus Didius Falco, Roman private informer from the time of Emperor Vespasian, goes to Hispania (Roman Spain) to discover who attacked the imperial spy, Anacretes, and killed one of Anacrites' agent. A great picture of the key olive oil industry with, as always, a wonderful, knowledgable view of what Rome would've been like. Could've used a few less British slang terms. Of course, the ancient Romans would've had their own slang terms which would've confused readers. Except for Lindsay Davis. Another great novel from Falco's chronicler. ( )
  NickHowes | Jul 29, 2015 |
This is a Marcus and Helena go to Spain, have a baby and solve an oil cartel problem on the side plot. I liked it, less than when I first read it many, many years ago.. I had forgotten most of the oil cartel plot points but it's the beginning of Marcus and Helena as a family, Anacrites has met Falco's mother and boy.. does that turn out to be a pain for our poor, suffering hero in the long run. Light reading with no consequences. ( )
  writerlibrarian | Feb 2, 2014 |

Lindsey Davisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Aeckerle, SusanneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fernandes, StanislawCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mitchley, RichardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sabaté, HernánTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vaccarini, Maria ElenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of Edith Pargeter
Nobody was poisoned at the dinner for the Society of Olive Oil Producers of Baetica - though in retrospect, that was quite a surprise.
Details to follow, but rumours that the baby was delivered by the father while the mother yelled, 'I don't need you; I'll do it myself, just like I have to do everything!' are believed to exaggerate.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446606804, Mass Market Paperback)

Marcus Didius Falco is ready to make new contacts and start a new career, and a dinner for the Society of Olive Oil Producers of Baetica seems like the perfect opportunity. But when two dinner guests are found beaten--one dead--Falco knows he cannot rest until he solves at least one more mystery.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:36 -0400)

The first century Roman sleuth, Marcus Didius Falco, investigates a murder linked to corruption in the olive oil trade. By the author of Last Act in Palmyra.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,229,302 books! | Top bar: Always visible