Bath Tangle by Georgette Heyer

Title:Bath Tangle
Authors:Georgette Heyer
Info:Pan (date?), Paperback
Tags:fiction, historical fiction, regency romance, f07

Bath Tangle by Georgette Heyer (1955)

Recently added byc_neva, Gorthalon, nittnut, dunnettreader, shanaqui, AnieW, Willoyd, Vegemite, private library

English (24)  German (1)  All languages (25)
Will review soon! ( )
  Gorthalon | Dec 6, 2014 |
I'm not entirely sure how to rate this, because I did enjoy it a lot, but it's still not on par with The Talisman Ring or The Grand Sophy for me. Having finished it, I was just a little relieved that all the tangles of the love interests were sorted out, and that everyone got to where they intended to go (though, I would almost have enjoyed it more if someone had made an irrevocable mistake, even if it were just Gerald and Emily; the way it came out was too good to be true, and Rotherham far too in control of the whole situation).

You've got to like that this isn't just a story with a tempestuous male character pulling everyone along; Rotherham may well remind the gentle reader of Rochester from Jane Eyre with his manners. Lady Serena is no Jane, however, and she gives as good as she gets. I liked that their romance is not some insipid mutual regard, but something real and passionate.

I especially like that Heyer manages to bring in a spread of characters across social class and attitudes. Obviously, Lady Serena and her cohort are privileged as heck and don't know it, but I don't really expect an older book like this to really deal with that aspect. I liked the realism of Serena's indifference to class while Fanny, equally likeable, has more difficulty with being snobbish. The way Heyer handles show-don't-tell is pretty instructive, too; scenes like Serena holding the thorny flowers, or Fanny and Kirkby, etc.

Of course, the situation itself is one of Heyer's typical tangles, with Serena's father putting her under the guardianship of a man she jilted. It could be pretty creepy, to be honest, but Heyer handles it well -- Rotherham never takes advantage of the guardianship, and is prepared to let Serena make her mistake if necessary, even if he is manipulative. ( )
  shanaqui | Nov 23, 2014 |
After her father's death finds her the ward of her ex-fiance, Serena sets out to make the best of things in Bath Tangle. Life will never be as it once was, but after bumping into an old flame maybe it will be better. That is unless Rotherham insists on being difficult, and considering that that's why Serena broke up with him to begin with, that seems an unlikely situation.

It's a fun story, but something about Rotherham's actions has always sat awkwardly with me. Instead of acting like a normal human being to get back in Serena's good graces, he decides to use someone else as a tool to punish her. If I were Serena I would have made his life much more difficult at the end of the book. ( )
  inge87 | Aug 31, 2014 |
When Serena's father passes away, everyone is astounded to discover that the will stipulates that the Marquis of Rotherham is to control her fortune and give her pin money until she marries. Serena is outraged that even in death her father is still pushing for the marriage from which she cried off over five years ago. But despite their inability to do anything but bicker there may be more in store for these two than anyone expected.

Picking up a Georgette Heyer novel, I always know exactly what I'm going to get and yet it is never not satisfying to read one of her books. This one won't go down as one of my favourites but I did get all the giggles, sighs, and romantic smiles I expect to have whenever I immerse myself in a Heyer novel. ( )
  MickyFine | Aug 13, 2014 |
Two ladies were seated in the library at Milverley Park, the younger, whose cap and superabundance of crape proclaimed the widow, beside a table upon which reposed a Prayer Book; the elder, a Titian-haired beauty of some twenty-five summers, in one of the deep window-embrasures that overlooked the park.

"Do you imagine that I wish for a wife upon such terms? You mistake the matter, my girl, believe me!"

Lady Serena's fury when she found that her father's death had placed her marriage prospects and fortune in the control of Lord Rotherham was more than understandable.

Soon she found herself involved with her lovely young stepmother, her own childhood sweetheart and Lord Rotherham himself in a tangle of marriage and manners the like of which even Regency Bath had rarely seen...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0373836112, Mass Market Paperback)

Lady Serena Carlow is an acknowledged beauty, but she's got a temper as fiery as her head of red hair. When her father dies unexpectedly, Serena discovers to her horror that she has been left a ward of Ivo Barrasford, marquis of Rotherham, a man whom Serena once jilted and who now has the power to give or withhold his consent to any marriage she might contemplate. With her father's heir eager to take over his inheritance--and Serena's lifelong home--she and her lovely young stepmother, Fanny, decide to move to Bath, where Serena makes an odd new friend and discovers an old love, Major Hector Kirkby. Before long, Serena, Fanny, Kirkby, and Rotherham are entangled in a welter of misunderstood emotions, mistaken engagements, and misdirected love.

Georgette Heyer's genius has always been in creating memorable characters, then placing them in a comedy of manners that is absolutely true to the Regency period. Bath Tangle is a delightful romp through the haute ton of early-19th-century England, and the battling, passionate, meant-for-each-other Ivo and Serena are one of her most successful romantic duos.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:24 -0400)

Lady Serena Carlow's eccentric father has left her guardianship to the Marquis of Rotherham, who has complete control over her. She is displeased to say the least, but when she spends time with the Marquis, she can't help but wonder if her feelings are those of sheer aggravation or if they are of a more tender nature.… (more)

Sourcebooks Casablanca

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Casablanca.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,396,638 books! | Top bar: Always visible