Heroes by Ken Mochizuki

Heroes

by Ken Mochizuki, Dom Lee (Illustrator), Ken Mochizuki (Author)

This book was truly inspiring and interesting to read. I picked this book up because I thought that the illustration on the cover told a story itself. I felt like it would be a good book that discussed the problems that the child on the cover encounters. To my astonishment, my prediction was spot on! This book is about a Korean child who faced racism from his friends. He played with his friends after school everyday. The problem came when it was time to play because they always wanted to play war in which he would have to be the "bad guy. He was sick and tired of being the bad guy so he confronted his friends. Then his fiends bluntly told him you have to be the enemy in war because "you look like them". At this point in the book my jaw dropped. I couldn't believe that his friends would not allow him to be a good guy in the game because of the way he looked. The boy's father was actually a veteran but none of his friends believed him when he told them because they thought that because he's Korean he couldn't have been a veteran. His friends then begin to bully him because he doesn't want to play the bad guy anymore. After his father realizes this, he comes to pick him up dressed in his veteran uniform. I feel like this book teaches children to not judge their classmates due to the way they look. It also shows children that if they don't like the way their treated to speak about it. This book was very interesting as I said in the beginning of the review. I would definitely read this to my class. ( )
  kristeen1995 | Feb 22, 2017 |
This book is about a young boy who gets bullied because he is an Asian American in the 1960's during the Korean War. All the students at school pretend to shoot him and always make him the enemy, meanwhile his uncle and father fought in WWII for the Americans. I believe this book is a great read for younger students and older to show the harmfulness of racism and how it can affect someone even if it is from students at school who do not know better. In the end, his father and uncle show up in their uniforms with metals and impress the other kids at school! ( )
  Mwick | Nov 10, 2015 |
This book was another great piece of historical fiction about Asian Americans in the 1900's. This one focused on the racism that was endured by one boy during the Vietnam War. It was well written and reflected Asian Americans in the most positive light. Very well done book. ( )
  matthewbloome | May 19, 2013 |
Genre: Historical Fiction
Genre Critique: This book is a good example of historical fiction about the korean war. This book uses historical events while tying in fictitious characters to tell the story.
Point of View Critique: The point of view throughout the story is told by the main character. It is told in first person narrative form, with brief dialougue from the other characters scattered throughout.
Review/Critique: I really enjoyed reading this book. It really pulled on my heartstrings for what a lot of children must have to go through. This definitely could be a teaching book for kids.
  MkM | Mar 7, 2013 |
This is a story about a Japanese-American boy who is getting bullied by his friends because he looks like an enemy. Since the book is set in the 1960’s in America, the young boys from school pretend to shoot him and always make him be the enemy. His father and uncle both fought in WWII for the Americans, yet they don’t believe in boasting. However, in order to stop the tormenting, his father and uncle come to school dressed up in uniform and toss him a football.

It is historical fiction because it is based on the 50.000 Asians who served in the armed forces in WWII. This story shows the way racism can hurt others and how people make assumptions of others based on their ethnicity. While it is depressing, I believe it could really begin to open up dialogue about stereotypes and race in the classroom. For younger students, it could lead to interesting discussion of fairness. I would want to know what the students thought about the dad coming up to school to help the boy.
  klauden | May 5, 2010 |

Ken Mochizukiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lee, DomIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Mochizuki, KenAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Japanese American Donnie, whose playmates insist he be the "bad guy" in their war games, calls on his reluctant father and uncle to help him get away from that role.

Lee & Low Books

2 editions of this book were published by Lee & Low Books.

Editions: 1880000504, 1880000164

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,156,311 books! | Top bar: Always visible