Carry On, Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse

Carry On, Jeeves (1925)

by P. G. Wodehouse

Series: Jeeves (2)

English (58)  Dutch (2)  All languages (60)
I first read this selection of short stories recounting early episodes in the relationship between Jeeves and Bertie Wooster nearly forty years ago, and picked it up again having chanced upon a copy in a drawer in my office. I think it epitomises for me the general shortcomings of the short story as a literary format, compared with longer works.

The stories are all enjoyable and diverting enough, but they just seemed rather ephemeral. Of course, that is an accusation that might be levelled at all of Wodehouse’s works, free as they are from any social message or attempt to examine the world through any politically focused lens.

I find that short stories generally require more effort on the reader’s part than they are ultimately worth. In these instances, as soon as one has got to grips with the setting and the characters, the story is over and the reader is left, like Oliver Twist, asking for more. The beauty of Wodehouse’s novels featuring Jeeves and Bertie is the sheer complexity of their plots, always beautifully interlaced yet always watertight. The short story allows no scope for such plotting, and I found myself constantly thinking, ‘If only …’. Indeed, the principal response is to feel that one has been sold a bit of a dummy.

They are, of course, beautifully written, and are peppered throughout with the same beautiful and hilarious imagery that Wodehouse always brought to any of his fiction, but I found that the wealth of style was not sufficient to redeem the lack of substance.

[One point that does occur to me, perhaps by nature of the exception that proves the rule, is the case of John Mortimer’s Rumpole stories, where contrary to my general prejudice, it is the longer format that seems weaker. Rumpole’s anecdotal delivery is far better suited to the self-contained short story approach, and on the few occasions where Sir John Mortimer reverted to the novel as medium for a Rumpole story, it seemed rather forced.] ( )
  Eyejaybee | Apr 30, 2019 |

Genre: Humor
Pages: 260
Format: Digital Edition

Synopsis:

A collection of short stories which starts with the introduction of Jeeves and Bertie Wooster and ends with a story from Jeeves' point of view.

At least half of the stories also revolved around various family (immediate and extended) members of Jeeves, usually in an ancillary way.

My Thoughts:

I have given up trying to understand any reason or logical thinking in the way these books are put together in these Omnibus editions. This is the book where Jeeves and Bertie meet because Bertie's last gentleman's gentleman was a kleptomaniac. I believe that Wodehouse wrote this 3rd but with the advantage of hindsight, wouldn't you order this first in an omnibus instead of as the sixth book? It makes me want to punch somebody (and no Miiiiiiiiister Newton, you got yours the other day. I pick on Mr Newton because he loves these books so much! Just say Bertie, Martini and Engagement to him and he's rolling on the laughing so hard he's in danger of suffocating.)

The return to a short story form worked well. Little snippets of Bertie and his bumbling friends is probably a good way to ease people into the world that Wodehouse portrays. Myself, I read this one Saturday while lying on the couch. I was chortling away and after the second time of asking “What's so funny?”, Mrs B just let me be. She's pretty much on Miiiiiister Newton's side when it comes to the humor in these books. I on the other hand am entertained greatly.

The thing with Jeeves and Bertie is either you like these kind of stories or you don't. Heck, read 2 of the short stories within one book and you'll know by the end if Wodehouse is an author for you or not.

On a side note, I just finished up watching “The Blandings” on Prime the other day. It is a tv series based on a series by Wodehouse in this same vein. Once I'm done with Bertie and Jeeves, I plan on adding all 12+ books to my tbr. So buckle up folks, you've got at least 2 more years of Wodehouse offerings coming your way
* evil laughter *

★★★★☆ ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Mar 15, 2019 |
Some of the best of the "Jeeves" short stories. I recommend the omnibus The World of Jeeves (also available in Arrow) which collects them all. ( )
  therebelprince | Oct 30, 2018 |
This is really fun, light British humor. Young gentleman of leisure Bertie Wooster seems to have an army of friends with hard-to-please aunts and uncles, or bridal troubles, and he always jumps to their rescue. That is, his butler, Jeeves comes up with the smart plan. Intelligently humorous, sometimes laugh-out loud, but the stories get repetitive and have no depth. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |

Cecil, JonathanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cox, PaulIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jarvis, MartinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Bernard Le Strange
Now, touching this business of old Jeeves--my man, you know--how do we stand?
"In my younger days, at the outset of my career, sir, I was at one time page-boy in a school for young ladies."
"No, really? I never knew that before. I say, Jeeves - er - did the - er - dear little souls giggle much in your day?"
"Practically without cessation, sir."
"I only saw the kid once, and then only for a moment, but - but it was an ugly sort of kid, wasn't it, if I remember rightly?"
"As ugly as that?"
I looked again, and honesty compelled me to be frank.
"I don't see how it could have been, old chap."

Overlook Press blurb:
The titles of the first story in this collection - 'Jeeves Takes Charge' - and the last - 'Bertie Changes His Mind' - sum up the relationship of twentieth-century fiction's most famous comic characters. In between them, the various feeble-minded men and lively young women who populate Wooster's world appeal to Jeeves to solve their problems and are never disappointed.

Meet the inimitable gentleman's gentleman, Jeeves ...From the moment Jeeves glides into Bertie Wooster's life and provides him with a magical hangover cure, Bertie begins to wonder how he's ever managed without him. Jeeves makes himself totally indispensable in every way, disentangling the hapless Bertie from scrapes with formidable aunts, madcap girls and unbidden guests. His ability to dig assorted fellows out of sundry holes is nothing short of miraculous. In short, the man is a paragon.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:45 -0400)

Carry On, Jeeves is a collection of stories in which Jeeves the charge and a familiar bevy of individuals appeal to him to solve their problems.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,339,996 books! | Top bar: Always visible