Carry On, Jeeves (A Jeeves and Bertie Novel)…

Carry On, Jeeves (A Jeeves and Bertie Novel) (original 1925; edition 2003)

by P. G. Wodehouse

Series: Jeeves (2)

2,520552,403 (4.12)133
Member:sandykaypax
Title:Carry On, Jeeves (A Jeeves and Bertie Novel)
Authors:P. G. Wodehouse
Info:Overlook Hardcover (2003), Hardcover, 256 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:humor, England

Carry On, Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse (1925)

English (53)  Dutch (2)  All (55)
After reading a string of books by authors who took themselves too seriously and satisfied inadequately, it was a pleasure to return to Wodehouse. I really needed a good laugh. This book of witty and sometimes hilarious short stories about Bertie and Jeeves was read with great relish by Frederick Davidson. ( )
  fhudnell | Nov 6, 2016 |
Carry On, Jeeves is a collection of ten short stories by P. G. Wodehouse. It was first published in the United Kingdom on 9 October 1925 by Herbert Jenkins, London, and in the United States on 7 October 1927 by George H. Doran, New York.[1] Many of the stories had previously appeared in the Saturday Evening Post, and some were rewritten versions of stories in the collection My Man Jeeves (1919). The book is considered part of the Jeeves canon.
The first story in the book, "Jeeves Takes Charge", describes Jeeves' arrival in his master's life, as a replacement for Wooster's previous, thieving valet, and features Lady Florence Craye, as well as a passing mention of Lord Emsworth and Blandings Castle.
Contents
"Jeeves Takes Charge"
"The Artistic Career of Corky"
"Jeeves and the Unbidden Guest"
"Jeeves and the Hard-boiled Egg"
"The Aunt and the Sluggard"
"The Rummy Affair of Old Biffy"
"Without the Option"
"Fixing It for Freddie"
"Clustering Round Young Bingo"
"Bertie Changes His Mind" ( )
  bostonwendym | Jul 12, 2016 |
Here we have another selection of related short stories featuring P.G. Wodehouse's most famous character, Jeeves.

As usual, Jeeves's endeavours to give satisfaction are all a major success.

Good humour throughout these tales makes this book a decidedly good read, madams and sirs. ( )
  PhilSyphe | May 6, 2016 |
Easy entertainment. This is a sitcom in book form ( )
  SashaM | Apr 20, 2016 |
Carry On, Jeeves
P.G. Wodehouse
Sunday, March 20, 2016

A collection of stories about Bertie Wooster and Jeeves, in which Jeeves inevitably solves the crisis, to everyone's satisfaction. I found the collection a little hard to read all at once, but returned to it many times, shared several passages with my wife, and laughed out loud many times.
In the first installment, "Jeeves Takes Charge", Jeeves first appears on Bertie's doorstep, while Bertie has a hangover. He was engaged immediately when he presented Bertie his cure "I would have clutched at anything that looked like a life-line that morning. I swallowed the stuff. For a moment I felt as if somebody had touched off a bomb in the old bean and was strolling down my throat with a lighted torch, and then everything seemed suddenly to get all right" Bertie then has to steal a manuscript of memoirs from his fiancee's uncle, to prevent embarrassment to the family, but fails and the conclusion is left to Jeeves.
In "The Artistic Career of Corky" Bertie and Jeeves are in New York, and aid the struggling artist to maintain his allowance from his rich uncle.
"The Unbidden Guest" involves the son of a friend of Aunt Agatha - "She fitted into my biggest arm chair as if it had been built round her by someone who knew they were wearing arm chairs tight around the hips that season" The son, Wilmot, is not the quiet sort advertised, but is wild enough - "What's the use of a great city having temptations if fellows don't yield to them? Makes it so bally discouraging for the great city" to wind up in prison, and his aunt is mollified only by Jeeves asserting it was a voluntary confinement to learn about the disadvantaged.
In "Jeeves and the Hard-Boiled Egg" there is the usual allowance to be saved, in which Bertie lends his flat to Bicky to pretend to be successful, and when that is not successful, a scheme of a chicken-farm is hatched, and all is tied up by black-mail in the end. "There was Jeeves, standing behind me, full of zeal. In this manner of shimmering into rooms the man is rummy to a degree. You're sitting in the old arm-chair, thinking of this and that, and then suddenly you look up, and there he is. He moves from point to point with as little uproar as a jelly-fish"
"The Aunt and the Sluggard" involves the trials of the nephew who wants to live in the country, the rich aunt who wants letters about the gaiety of the city, and how the conflict is resolved. It involves a conversion of the aunt by a preacher: "He said the tango and the fox-trot were devices of the devil to drag people down into the Bottomless Pit."
"The Rummy Affair of Old Biffy" is complex; Biffy can't find the woman of his infatuation without going through an engagement with a mighty young woman "You know, Jeeves, that Honoria Glossop is an act of nature - you might as well blame a fellow for being hit by a truck" and ending up arrested for smashing glass to get at his love.
"Fixing it for Freddie" involves another love-lorn pal; Bertie cooks up a scheme to kidnap a child so Freddie can rescue him, assuming his love was related to the child. The family of the child is happy to have him out of sight "To get the kid undressed had been simple - a mere matter of muscle. But how were we to get him into his clothes again? I stirred the heap with my foot. There was a long linen arrangement that might have been anything. Also a strip of pink flannel that was like nothing on earth"
"Clustering Around Young Bingo", another pilfering of a manuscript, and several exchanges of maids and cooks arranged by Jeeves
Jeeves narrates "Bertie Changes his Mind", in which Jeeves cleverly introduces Bertie to a girls' school to dissuade him from selling the flat and moving in with his sister and her three daughters. " '… at the outset of my career, sir, I was at one point a page-boy in a school for young ladies.'
'No, really? I never knew this before. I say, Jeeves, - er - did the - er -dear little souls giggle much in your day?'
'Practically without cessation, sir'
'Makes a fellow feel a bit of an ass, what? I shouldn't wonder if they usedn't to stare at you from time to time, too, eh'
'At the school where I was employed, sir, the young ladies had a regular game which they were accustomed to play when a male visitor arrived. They would stare fixedly at him and giggle, and there was a small prize for the one who made him blush first'
'Oh, no, Jeeves, not really?'
'Yes, sir. They derived great enjoyment from the pastime'
'I had no idea small girls were such demons'
'More deadly than the male, sir.' " ( )
  neurodrew | Mar 20, 2016 |

P. G. Wodehouseprimary authorall editionscalculated
Jarvis, MartinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Bernard Le Strange
Now, touching this business of old Jeeves--my man, you know--how do we stand?
"In my younger days, at the outset of my career, sir, I was at one time page-boy in a school for young ladies."
"No, really? I never knew that before. I say, Jeeves - er - did the - er - dear little souls giggle much in your day?"
"Practically without cessation, sir."
"I only saw the kid once, and then only for a moment, but - but it was an ugly sort of kid, wasn't it, if I remember rightly?"
"As ugly as that?"
I looked again, and honesty compelled me to be frank.
"I don't see how it could have been, old chap."

Overlook Press blurb:
The titles of the first story in this collection - 'Jeeves Takes Charge' - and the last - 'Bertie Changes His Mind' - sum up the relationship of twentieth-century fiction's most famous comic characters. In between them, the various feeble-minded men and lively young women who populate Wooster's world appeal to Jeeves to solve their problems and are never disappointed.

Meet the inimitable gentleman's gentleman, Jeeves ...From the moment Jeeves glides into Bertie Wooster's life and provides him with a magical hangover cure, Bertie begins to wonder how he's ever managed without him. Jeeves makes himself totally indispensable in every way, disentangling the hapless Bertie from scrapes with formidable aunts, madcap girls and unbidden guests. His ability to dig assorted fellows out of sundry holes is nothing short of miraculous. In short, the man is a paragon.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:45 -0400)

From the moment Jeeves glides into Bertie Wooster's life and provides him with a magical hangover cure, Bertie wonders how he ever managed without him. Jeeves makes himself totally indispensable, getting Bertie out of all sorts of scrapes.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,828,135 books! | Top bar: Always visible