Carry On, Jeeves (A Jeeves and Bertie Novel)…

Carry On, Jeeves (A Jeeves and Bertie Novel) (original 1925; edition 2003)

by P. G. Wodehouse

2,231None2,876 (4.14)81
Member:sandykaypax
Title:Carry On, Jeeves (A Jeeves and Bertie Novel)
Authors:P. G. Wodehouse
Info:Overlook Hardcover (2003), Hardcover, 256 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:humor, England

Carry On, Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse (1925)

1920s (16) 2009 (10) 20th century (43) audio (9) audiobook (17) Bertie Wooster (31) Britain (9) British (75) British fiction (10) British humor (18) British literature (22) classic (20) classics (16) comedy (34) England (48) English (30) English literature (32) fiction (421) humor (448) Jeeves (91) Jeeves and Wooster (40) library (9) literature (39) novel (27) read (34) series (18) short stories (110) to-read (28) unread (12) Wodehouse (71)

English (41)  Dutch (2)  All languages (43)
I'd give this five stars but you have to leave some space for brilliance, don't you know.

I had a Wodehouse orgy a few years ago, read a lot of his stuff on the bus (poor location - your laughing in public will have other commuters proceed to stare at you as if somehow you were contagious) and then stopped. Well, I DON'T KNOW WHY. I love him. What a riot this book was. This is basically Bertie being his usual obnoxious self with Jeeves coming up with wonderful ideas to get him out of tricky situations. It's hilarious throughout. In one of the stories, a woman pays a young man to live the good life in New York provided she can live vicariously through his letters - oh how I would have loved for that to happen to me!

Wodehouse's world is a microcosm in which eccentricity is the default, and keep in mind that these characters are barely caricatures.

Pure indulgence. I regret nothing, this is a treat. ( )
1 vote RubyScarlett | Nov 11, 2013 |
Good old-fashioned fun from the pen of a comic genius. ( )
  simondyda | Oct 11, 2013 |
oh the shenanigans that these two find themselves in. ( )
  helynrob | Aug 13, 2013 |
Top drawer Wodehouse, hilarious situations, with Jarvis brilliantly carrying off the accents of the clueless gentry. Dash it, how does he do it?! ( )
  paakre | Apr 27, 2013 |
My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Mar 31, 2013 |
To Bernard Le Strange
Now, touching this business of old Jeeves--my man, you know--how do we stand?
"In my younger days, at the outset of my career, sir, I was at one time page-boy in a school for young ladies."
"No, really? I never knew that before. I say, Jeeves - er - did the - er - dear little souls giggle much in your day?"
"Practically without cessation, sir."
"I only saw the kid once, and then only for a moment, but - but it was an ugly sort of kid, wasn't it, if I remember rightly?"
"As ugly as that?"
I looked again, and honesty compelled me to be frank.
"I don't see how it could have been, old chap."

Overlook Press blurb:
The titles of the first story in this collection - 'Jeeves Takes Charge' - and the last - 'Bertie Changes His Mind' - sum up the relationship of twentieth-century fiction's most famous comic characters. In between them, the various feeble-minded men and lively young women who populate Wooster's world appeal to Jeeves to solve their problems and are never disappointed.

Meet the inimitable gentleman's gentleman, Jeeves ...From the moment Jeeves glides into Bertie Wooster's life and provides him with a magical hangover cure, Bertie begins to wonder how he's ever managed without him. Jeeves makes himself totally indispensable in every way, disentangling the hapless Bertie from scrapes with formidable aunts, madcap girls and unbidden guests. His ability to dig assorted fellows out of sundry holes is nothing short of miraculous. In short, the man is a paragon.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:36 -0400)

From the moment Jeeves glides into Bertie Wooster's life and provides him with a magical hangover cure, Bertie wonders how he ever managed without him. Jeeves makes himself totally indispensable, getting Bertie out of all sorts of scrapes.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,461,436 books! | Top bar: Always visible