The Widow by Fiona Barton

The Widow

by Fiona Barton

Recently added byLoverofbooks22, private library, rbtullis, ctreader73, Erina39, Gracelesslady, reginaplove
    The Last Child by John Hart (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins (vancouverdeb)
    vancouverdeb: psychological suspense,various points of view, both feature a woman as the main character.

English (119)  Spanish (2)  Piratical (1)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (124)
The Widow is Jean Taylor. Her husband just died and the police, reporters, everyone wants to know if Jean will finally talk her might of husband done. He has been accused of kidnapping a child, but he assures his wife that it's all a misunderstanding and the police are setting him up. She finds out some disturbing things about her husband along the way and begins questioning her judgement about the man she knew. The story goes back and forth between the investigation and the interview Jean does after the husband's death and it is told from Jean's perspective, reporter, police, and the mother of the missing girl. The book started off really good and kept me reading, but around 200 page mark it started to feel like it was dragging. It became clear what happened with slow revealing of information of the details for the rest of the book. The characters are very one dimensional, the only way Jean could be described was timid and that's it. I liked the plot and I do recommend reading this book if you like mystery thrillers, I just feel it could of been written better. ( )
  wellreadcatlady | Jul 9, 2018 |
SPOILER ALERT!

Disturbing, thought provoking.... This book was an eye opener. Normally you would never think twice about the wife or family of the murderer, serial killer, rapist, pedophile... This book is written from the perspective of the wife and the police. It makes you think about things...

It is also about a emotional and sometimes controversial subject... pedophilia. It is a very real and terrifying issue.

I both loved and hated this book. I intensely disliked Glen..I wanted to shake Jean sometimes... I would recommend this book , well worth the read.

Emmie217 | Jun 27, 2018 |
2.5 stars ( )
  mitabird | Jun 10, 2018 |
I think The Widow is an excellent psychological mystery. It's not really a mystery, yet one wonders the entire time reading just what could have happened. It's told from the point of view of the widow of a child molester, the chief cop on the case, and the reporter writing it all up, over a period of years. I think it gives an excellent portrait of what it must be like to be married to someone who becomes infamous for doing a truly horrible thing. The points of view are all handled well, as are the descriptions of several people with obsessions in this story. It's British and the whole thing is pretty understated, but rings quite true to life to me, and I found it a fascinating read. ( )
  MarthaHuntley | May 9, 2018 |
This is the story of Jean Taylor who was married to Glen
Glen dies in an accident, he was accused of killing a young toddler called Bella who was kidnapped from home.
This book is divided into chapters telling the story from Jean, Police, Bella's mother and also the Reporter.
Police cant prove Glen abducted Bella but he confesses to his wife he seen her.
It turns out it was Jean who pushed Glen under the bus, she was fed up with his nonsense.
Glen was very controlling.
Poor Bella is never found. OK book, Ending is a bit of a let down though. ( )
  Daftboy1 | May 7, 2018 |
Barton skillfully weaves a tale that reminds us that yes, we can be deceived by others, but we can just as easily deceive ourselves. Perception is a two-way street. A stranger or a loved one can play a role or act a part until it feels real.

And here is where the brilliance of The Widow lies. Whom do you trust? Whom can you trust? And not just others but ourselves as well. The Widow reminds us that relationships are not black and white to those in them — they're forever grey.

Crime novels featuring ludicrous scenarios where numerous ciphers get offed in a variety of ways seem to be going out of fashion. The new trend is for more realistic accounts of crimes, focusing on the minutiae of investigation and the frequently dull and frustrating aspects of detection. Fiona Barton’s debut is firmly of this type and it’s utterly gripping...She cleverly details how each individual copes with a long investigation without ever lessening the tension. The Widow is a tribute to those professionals who never let go of a story, or a case, however cold.

For Gary, Tom, and Lucy, without whom nothing would mean anything.
I can hear the sound of her crunching up the path.

We've all seen him: the man - the monster - staring from the front page of every newspaper, accused of a terrible crime.

But what about her: the woman who grips his arm on the courtroom stairs – the wife who stands by him?

Jean Taylor’s life was blissfully ordinary. Nice house, nice husband. Glen was all she’d ever wanted: her Prince Charming.

Until he became that man accused, that monster on the front page. Jean was married to a man everyone thought capable of unimaginable evil.

But now Glen is dead and she’s alone for the first time, free to tell her story on her own terms.

Jean Taylor is going to tell us what she knows.

Du Maurier's REBECCA meets WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN and GONE GIRL in this intimate tale of a terrible crime.

"Following the twists and turns of an unimaginable crime, The Widow is an electrifying debut thriller that will take you into the dark spaces that exist between a husband and a wife. When the police started asking questions, Jean Taylor turned into a different woman. One who enabled her and her husband to carry on when more bad things began to happen. . . But that woman's husband died last week. And Jean doesn't have to be her anymore. There's a lot Jean hasn't said over the years about the crime her husband was suspected of committing. She was too busy being the perfect wife, standing by her man while living with the accusing glares and the anonymous harassment. Now there's no reason to stay quiet. There are people who want to hear her story. They want to know what it was like living with that man. She can tell them that there were secrets. There always are in a marriage. The truth--that's all anyone wants. But the one lesson Jean has learned in the last few years is that she can make people believe anything. . ."--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,814,480 books! | Top bar: Always visible