Trouble Is My Business by Raymond Chandler

Trouble Is My Business (original 1939; edition 1988)

by Raymond Chandler

A private detective is hired to break up an unsuitable romance, find a missing dog, solve a murder, search for an ex-con's lost girlfriend, ransom a necklace, and investigate a wife's mysterious disappearance.
Member:jetblack615
Title:Trouble Is My Business
Authors:Raymond Chandler
Info:Vintage (1988), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 224 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:60 Book Challenge 2013

Trouble Is My Business [edition unknown] by Raymond Chandler (1939)

Went back to Chandler for the 1st time since school. As I remembered the dry humour is unmatched and the drive relentless, with the dicks slugging out solutions more than detecting them, but at times the slang is now so obscure that the plot is difficult to follow. ( )
  marek2009 | Jan 3, 2009 |
Excellent collection of Chandlers' short stories. All of the same hardboiled sort, and the detectives have different names, but pretty much the same guy. The last few the main character is Marlowe. Beautiful stuff for the genre.
  bathey | Dec 4, 2008 |

Raymond Chandlerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hall, BarnabyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schulz, RobertCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

SaPo (130)
Some literary antiquarian of a rather special type may one day think it worth while to run through the files of the pulp detective magazines which flourished during the late twenties and early thirties, and determine just how and when and by what steps the popular mystery story shed its refined good manners and went native.
Please don't combine this work, which contains unknown editions of either the novella or the novella published with other stories. The novella and at least three different collections have been published with this title:

A collection first published in 1939 included five stories: "Trouble is My Business," "Red Wind," "I'll Be Waiting," "Goldfish," and "Guns at Cyrano's."

A collection first published in 1950 included four stories: "Trouble is My Business," "Finger Man," "Goldfish," and "Red Wind."

A more recent collection (perhaps from 2006) included twelve stories: "Killer in the Rain,' "The Man Who Liked Dogs," "The Curtain," "Try the Girl," "Mandarin's Jade," "Bay City Blues," "The Lady in the Lake," "No Crime in the Mountains," "Trouble is My Business," "Finger Man," "Goldfish," and "Red Wind."

If your edition is combined with this work, please separate it and combine it with the appropriate collection or with the single novella.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,759,436 books! | Top bar: Always visible