Live by Night. First Edition, First…

Live by Night. First Edition, First Printing; Special Secret-Journal-… (edition 2017)

by A. G. Howard (Author)

Member:the1butterfly
Title:Live by Night. First Edition, First Printing; Special Secret-Journal- Entries Edition
Authors:A. G. Howard (Author)
Info:Amulet Books (Abrams) & Barnes & Noble (2017), Edition: 1st, 443 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Fantasy, Fiction

RoseBlood by A. G. Howard

It might be because I truly love Phantom of the Opera, despite its flaws, both book and musical. It might be because the story felt arbitrary, cliché and quite dull. It's a sad thing to say, really, as I had been looking forward to Roseblood quite a bit. After all, like I said, I love Phantom of the Opera. However, I can only lament to what this book could have been. Imagine it not as a paranormal/urban fantasy YA, but a more contemporary story in the likes of The Secret History. A girl, haunted by her love for a book and its characters, believing herself to be watched by Phantom himself, slowly losing herself to those ideas. So many things could have been done with this idea. Instead, it became a YA novel with paranormal creatures it had to be vampires. ( )
  ancientbookbride | Sep 11, 2018 |
This is an amazing retelling of The Phantom of the Opera!!! It's hard to predict what is going to happen next and where the loyalties lie between the characters.

A senior in high school has an amazing talent to sing opera, perfectly, with never having practiced or having heard the song before. Although, she doesn't get to choose when these songs come out. Upon hearing the songs, she has a compulsion to sing, no matter where she is at. Her mom sends her to private school that specialized in opera, to help her get over her "stage freight". This school was once the famous opera house where the rumored Phantom of the Opera used to haunt. Rune is terrified that she will be the Phantoms next victim, but also wants his help to get rid of her "curse". ( )
  chelseap91 | Sep 3, 2018 |
I think it didn't work for me because I'm just not a Phantom fan. And, honestly, the supernatural revelation just...I don't know. Could have been interesting but felt forced, I guess? I never got any real chemistry from Rune and Thorn and Erik was mostly a non-entity for the bulk of the book. But, mostly, it just didn't work for me because I'm not big into The Phantom of the Opera. ( )
  BillieBook | Apr 1, 2018 |
It was an interesting take on Phantom of the Opera. I liked it.
  EdenSteffey | Mar 14, 2018 |
Although it took me a while to finish this book, I did enjoy it. As a YA librarian, I can definitely see a lot of programming potential with this novel. ( )
  KWadyko | Mar 5, 2018 |
"The opera ghost really existed..." Gaston Leroux, The Phantom of the Opera
At home, I have a poster on my wall of a rose that's bleeding.

Rune, whose voice has been compared to that of an angel, has a mysterious affliction linked to her talent that leaves her sick and drained at the end of every performance. Convinced creative direction will cure her, her mother ships her off to a French boarding school for the arts, rumored to have a haunted past. Shortly after arriving at RoseBlood conservatory, Rune starts to believe something otherworldly is indeed afoot. The mystery boy she's seen frequenting the graveyard beside the opera house doesn't have any classes at the school, and vanishes almost as quickly as he appears. When Rune begins to develop a secret friendship with the elusive Thorn, who dresses in clothing straight out of the 19th century, she realizes that in his presence she feels cured. Thorn may be falling for Rune, but the phantom haunting RoseBlood wants her for a very specific and dangerous purpose. As their love continues to grow, Thorn is faced with an impossible choice: lead Rune to her destruction, or save her and face the wrath of the phantom, the only father he's ever known.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,718,929 books! | Top bar: Always visible