Lilac Girls: A Novel by Martha Hall Kelly

Lilac Girls: A Novel (edition 2017)

by Martha Hall Kelly (Author)

Member:bgherman
Title:Lilac Girls: A Novel
Authors:Martha Hall Kelly (Author)
Info:Ballantine Books (2017), Edition: Reprint, 512 pages

Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly

This debut novel is based on a true story about real people. Historical fiction based on fact, this is a haunting and emotional novel written with beauty and strength. Detailed and descriptive, this WWII story captures the realities of the inhumane and cruel horrors inflicted on women housed at Ravensbruck. Lilac Girls is based on 3 main characters and their individual stories, each told with depth and grit. I look forward to reading more novels by this gifted author! ( )
  NanceeM | Apr 14, 2019 |
The moving story of three women whose lives intersect during and after WWII: a former debutante and actress in New York City, a young Polish girl sent to Ravensbruck concentration camp with her mother and sister, and the camp's only female doctor who performing experimental surgeries on inmates. All three are real people (or based on actual people, in the case of the Polish women), and Kelly treats their story with respect even while adding a few artistic flourishes. It is a gripping story, all the more effecting for being true. Highly recommended. ( )
  Gingermama | Apr 9, 2019 |
Lilac Girls had me on an emotional roller coaster. I had to keep putting the book down because I felt drained, but I wanted to keep reading and so I'd almost immediately pick it up again.

The author doesn't shy away from details here. These women, the Rabbits, endured horrors most of us can't even begin to imagine. But this book is so much more than a tale of torture at the hands of Nazi doctors. We see strength, resilience, hope, love, and survival. We see the worst and the best of human nature.

Martha Hall Kelly doesn't simply show us this piece of history; she puts us there and lets us experience it for ourselves. This book is difficult to read largely because we know the facts are true. Yet Kelly manages to keep us from falling into the misery. The writing always maintains an underlying glimmer of hope.

The three women who are the focus of this story offer the perfect examples of courage and heroism. This is a powerful story that honors a group of women who deserve to remain a part of our collective memory. ( )
  Darcia | Mar 18, 2019 |
There are not enough stars for all the people who suffered and died during this outrageous time in our history. Caroline Ferriday should receive 3 stars for helping 35 of the Ravensbruck Rabbits get treatment after the war. And I thank Martha Hall Kelly for bringing the Ravensbruck Rabbits to my attention. I had not heard about them before.
But I did not enjoy this book. It felt too much like Chick-lit when I was expecting Historical Fiction.
The romance between Caroline Ferriday and Paul Rodierre is completely fiction and non-essential to the story. Also, too much time was spent of describing the fashion of the day while the horrors of the war were taking place. Totally unacceptable.
Why did Doctor Herta Oberhauser go from an idealistic doctor to a monster in the blink of an eye? I wanted to know how she changed so quickly.
Once again, I thank the author for bringing the horrors of the Ravensbruck Rabbits to my attention. ( )
  jtsolakos | Mar 8, 2019 |
Gripping retelling of a little known true WWII practice at Ravensbruck. Polish women's legs were incised, the wounds deliberately infected and various early antibiotics introduced to test their efficacy.
About 10 years after the war Caroline Ferriday, an American Philanthropist, arranged to bring several dozen of these women to the USA for treatment which made a huge difference to their lives. ( )
  Lit.Lover | Feb 20, 2019 |
To my husband, Michael, who still makes my compact go click.
If I'd known I was about to meet the man who'd shatter me like bone china on terra-cotta, I would have slept in.

Caroline Ferriday, a socialite in New York, has her hands full with her post at the French consulate, but on the eve of a fateful war, her world is changed forever when Hitler's army invades Poland in September, 1939; and then sets its sights on France. Kasia Kuzmerick, a Polish teenager, an ocean away from Caroline, senses her carefree youth disappearing as she is drawn deeper into her role as courier for the underground resistance movement. In a tense atmosphere of watchful eyes and suspcting neighbors, one false move can have dire consequences. For Herta Oberheuser, the ambitious young German doctor, an ad for a government medical position seems her ticket out of a desolate life. Once hired, though, Herta finds herself trapped in a male-dominated realm of Nazi secrets and power. The lives of these three women are set on a collision course when the unthinkable happens and Kasia is sent to Ravensbr?uck, the notorious Nazi concentration camp for women. Their stories cross continents, from New York to Paris, Germany, and Poland, as Caroline and Kasia strive to bring justice to those whom history has forgotten. -- Container.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Martha Hall Kelly's book Lilac Girls was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Martha Hall Kelly is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,092,435 books! | Top bar: Always visible